US Airways Express prepares meals!

ITRADE

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
DCA/IAD US2
www.geocities.com
14 CFRPart 121 operation of Air Carrier Allegneny Airlines (D.B.A. US Airways Express)​
Accident occurred Monday, October 14, 2002 at Albany, NY[BR]Aircraft:de Havilland DHC-8-102, registration: N847EX[BR]Injuries: 33 Uninjured.​
[A href=http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20021029X05398&key=1]http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20021029X05398&key=1[/A]​

Damn geese did a real number on that aircraft, much like cannonballs hitting the wing. No loss of control or safety degraded, but the cost of repair requires the whole thing to be classified as an accident. (aircraft is back with the manufacturer in Cabada right now)

Say what you will about the Dash 8, but the thing is built like a flying tank. It is one of the reasons the Dash has one of the best safety records in the industry, and never a fatality. Glad to have em.

CCAIR had a leading edge come off a DASH8 a few years back in CLT right after takeoff. The crew (with many thanks to jumpseating check airman) safely returned the aircraft to the field. That thing is a heck of an airframe (if not a bit o the hideous looking side).

[BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 11/6/2002 6:31:14 PM DakotaHC8 wrote:[BR][BR]Damn geese did a real number on that aircraft, much like cannonballs hitting the wing. No loss of control or safety degraded, but the cost of repair requires the whole thing to be classified as an accident. (aircraft is back with the manufacturer in Cabada right now)[BR][BR]Say what you will about the Dash 8, but the thing is built like a flying tank. It is one of the reasons the Dash has one of the best safety records in the industry, and never a fatality. Glad to have em. ----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][BR][BR]Any pics available?[/P]
[P]The bit that surprised me was the comment that the cannonball actually punctured one of the fuel tanks. [/P]

I have seen the pics in the MX hangar. I'll try to get a pic to scan. From what I understand they lost over 900 pounds of fuel from the impact and landed with less than 200 pounds in the affected tank.