Us Airways Express Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
I was advised today by an ALPA official that US Airways has liens on the eight Midway CRJ-200s and controlled the Midway DCA and LGA slots.

In my opinion, these aircraft could be sold or transferred to PSA Airlines, who took delivery of its first CRJ-200 earlier this week.

Regardless, US Airways protected its investment.

Meanwhile, US Airways said in a statement that service on most Midway routes had been canceled through Sunday and it will start to restore flights Monday using other carriers.

Chip asks: How can US Airways restore flights of another carrier in only four days, unless the liquidation was premeditated?

Moreover, Gerald Jeutter, a lawyer representing Midway, told the court Midway was unable to reach an agreement with ALPA that would satisfy US Airways or a potential investor, prompting the conversion from a Chapter 11 to a Chpater 7 bankruptcy.

Hummm....

Again, I suspect something is up here and Dave Siegel has another agenda, but what is it?

Regards,

Chip

Robbed:

Who knows. I have not heard anything on this, but there are some unusual signals. Re-read my post above because I added some comments.

Regards,

Chip

Well.........Piedmont was told to pick up some of the flying. Probably RDU-DCA, DCA-CAE, and DCA-CHS. We were doing some of this flying when Midway couldn't cover it all the first time.

But with our dwindling fleet and pilot group, who knows how long we'll have it.

Chip Munn said:
...Hummm....

Again, I suspect something is up here and Dave Siegel has another agenda, but what is it?

Regards,

Chip
Perhaps it was a company ruse to lower pilot wages even further. They get Midway pilots to buy it in order to save their jobs, then they threaten the other express carriers that THEIR costs are too high (in comparison to Midway), causing a domino effect of lower wages. I'm glad that ALPA didn't bite this time, as it would have most certainly ended any career potential that the express pilots have at this point. Why else would they call it an "unidentified" investor when it almost certainly has to be none other than Dr. B himself?

through the grapevine here at mesa we've been told to expect posssibly 40 departures per day out of DCA, up from our usual 16. Our union has been notified of schedual changes for this bid and the upcomming bid, to be delivered by U ASAP. Looks like at least in the short term Mesa's presence in DC will be back to the levels it was pre-911. This is what I'm hearing today...certainly it could change tomorrow!!!

BTW, see my post on another thread regarding the 8 CRJ's condition, I don't think PSA would want them.

Also, Mesa was doing one RDU-LGA turn before the annoucement and may pick up additional trips as well. we'll know more tomorrow.

I would expect Mesa to fly the former Midway routes. This was not unexpected and I'm sure even our management could plan that far ahead. The 6 owned RJ's could be sold to Mesa or transferred to PSA since they have 158 pilots trained (according to last weeks news release).

Mesa,
Great! More CX'ed flights for our pax! Our company even did it's best to keep our crews from DH on Mesa flights because of MX and CX!!! (Hopefully people will one day realize thats this hamburger is too cheap to buy!)
But then again PDT isn't operating that well also! Short crews, returning a/c and picking up more flying!!!
US Airways!!! WOW, is anyone really running this ship!!! It's a Joke!!!

The Midway rj's are parked in Kinston and may remain there for a while. The trustee in bankruptcy apparently has the right to resell the leases, i.e. sublet the aircraft, if that is more advantageous than returning them to the lessor. The trustee will need some time to shop the planes around, seeing if there is interest.

WSurf said:
Mesa,
Great! More CX'ed flights for our pax! Our company even did it's best to keep our crews from DH on Mesa flights because of MX and CX!!!
Unlike the stellar performance given by Midway

yeeeeeeah, right!

From the MESA MEC:

On Thursday, October 30, 2003 Midway Airlines converted its bankruptcy reorganization to liquidation. Midway Airlines operated several flights out of Washington National (DCA) as US Airways Express.

These valuable DCA slots must be serviced by US Airways in order for US Airways to retain them. With that said, US Airways is putting a plan into place which will continue service on the slots via other US Airways Express Operators.

Please expect schedule changes within the US Airways system which will accommodate US Airways requirements to the hold the DCA slots. At this time, the level of schedule modification is unknown and may be changing daily. Both CRJ and ERJ crews can expect to see these modifications.

Your MEC will have more information for you in the near future.

Regards,

Chip