US Airways makes more Pittsburgh personnel cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
So minimum wage jobs are the way to go? Let's Walmart the entire country, and nobody will have squat to buy anything. God forbid that us union guys earn a middle class income without bringing the company to its knees.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't know who understand economics less in the country Unions members or Politicians?

USAPIANS...Douggie is a politician and he owns the idiots in Charlotte. He's laughing all the way to the bank and depositing the funds in account number LOA93.

Reactions: 3 people
So minimum wage jobs are the way to go? Let's Walmart the entire country, and nobody will have squat to buy anything. God forbid that us union guys earn a middle class income without bringing the company to its knees.

There are some rather interesting articles on line, some by Nobel Prize winning Economist F. A. Hayek on how Unions actually cause unemployment.

The problem is that with Union Haters like some on here who call lower wages "market rates" ignore some of the basic laws of supply and demand.

So minimum wage jobs are the way to go? Let's Walmart the entire country, and nobody will have squat to buy anything.
The offshoring phenomenon is a big part of why the country is in the position that it is in right now. You can only outsource so many jobs before it impacts the economy. Conjuring wealth out of thin air for some people on wall street doesn't really offset those losses.

Reactions: 2 people
The point is that more and more companies, and yes Walmart is one, are shifting to low cost models. US bid for that at an amount that covered wages of $20.17/hour plus benefits. Republic will find other people to do it for far less, more likely under $12.00/hour, and much worse benefits.

As usual, I'm sure they will get a great bunch of people that rate. Amazingly most companies fail to recognize that they get what they pay for, low wages = crappy employees.

Reactions: 3 people
As usual, I'm sure they will get a great bunch of people that rate. Amazingly most companies fail to recognize that they get what they pay for, low wages = crappy employees.

Surveys show otherwise. I hate to break your bubble. The key to employee satisfaction NOT great wages and benefits, the key is making it a great place to work. US fails on both.

Reactions: 1 person
And a low wage catering job at Republic is one of those great places? I get a birds eye view daily of the gems that work at express, so they must not have been part of that survey.

Reactions: 2 people
"The union will be losing 10 full-time and five part-time jobs in the latest round of cuts, which Mr. Bodrog said affects the entire US Airways system. He said there are also cuts in another 13 to 26 cities served by the airline."

What other cities will see cuts? There is, of course, no mention of these cuts in the latest issue of "About US".
How will the bumping process take place, will the pit station be open up for an open bid? And will the three day window be in affect? AND GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE THERE

Surveys show otherwise. I hate to break your bubble. The key to employee satisfaction NOT great wages and benefits, the key is making it a great place to work. US fails on both.
Making a great place to work INCLUDES great wages and benefits, DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

How will the bumping process take place, will the pit station be open up for an open bid? And will the three day window be in affect? AND GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE THERE

Nice to see someone gives two sh!ts about the people involved.

For those who think this is about their opinion of the economics behind it, join the human race.

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12090/1220524-28.stm

This management just keeps coming at this group!!!!!!!!!!!

It won't be long here until we will become in-significant in numbers at this rate!!!!!!

If these cuts and all the rest that are happening across the system don't open peoples eyes to the dire need of change in leadership at the top of this District, there will be little left to save!!!!!!

To all those great guys in PIT and elsewhere, good luck, many of us have been there and know what a difficult decision it is you have to make!!!

???????? So, if the company decides to stop flying to ORD what would any leader be able to do about every employee in that station being furloughed?????

???????? So, if the company decides to stop flying to ORD what would any leader be able to do about every employee in that station being furloughed?????

The best the union can do is see if the company will try to work with the union on solutions to accomplish the companies needs without the or all of the furloughs. Given how the company is actually reducing flights or contract work I don't see much. It's possible for the union to haggle over a few jobs here and there, but it won't be anything significant. This is because of the contract. The company, IMO, is abiding by the contract, so there's little to be done currently. Negotiations, however, may help some, how much I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts