Us Airways May Want Others To De-ice Planes

From the HUB/USAirways today...............

2/US Airways today confirmed that it will continue to
perform de-icing work at both Pittsburgh and
Philadelphia for the coming winter season. As we
search for the most cost-effective ways to conduct our
business, we concluded that it makes sense to continue
to operate the de-icing pads at these airports for this
year, said John Prestifilippo, senior vice president
of maintenance operations. An appropriate number of
mechanics will be added to the payroll for the de-icing
season for the two airports. At Pittsburgh, there are
two boom-operated de-icing pads with three slots each,
and at Philadelphia there is a single pad with seven
slots. The facilities are owned by the respective
airports, but operated by US Airways.

US Airways' Pittsburgh lease agreements could be rejected on January 5, 2004, well into the de-icing season.

Yesterday, US Airways said, "As we search for the most cost-effective ways to conduct our business, we concluded that it makes sense to continue to operate the de-icing pads at these airports for this year."

"This year" is a key comment and we could hear more about this in the future, regardless of whether or not US Airways keeps the Pittsburgh hub.

Respectfully,

Chip

As we
search for the most cost-effective ways to conduct our
business, we concluded that it makes sense to continue
to operate the de-icing pads at these airports for this
year, said John Prestifilippo, senior vice president
of maintenance operations.
Is this to mean next year we are going to attempt to farm out OUR work again?
The main reason they decided to continue this year was and is allegheny county had problems with hiring a company to do OUR work.The company was and is between a rock and a hard place.
After all,kent george had to remind U that until jan.5...they still owned the deice pads.

delldude said:
They asked for deicing and they did not obtain it. Once again they are being nothing more then thieves and trying to steal what they could not negotiate
YES indeed dude they sure are and it's called UNION BUSTING tactics. Just about everyone I talk to, "MANY" including myself loathe this current management team of deceptive low life liars. Notice the term CURRENT because if we stand united it will be PAST. Davey/flyonthewall and all the team players of union busting snakes crawl back to your lair, be gone.

flyin2low said:
It's just some posturing between USAirways group and the county. The county won this one.........It has nothing to do with Union busting!
it is union covered work and they would be violating our contract if they try to vendor it out.
and what presti is saying that for now you can do it...

All I have to say is, On the IAM update, they pounded their chests boasting about how they immediately went to the company when they heard we were not going to deice this year. I'll tell you what, that work was as good as gone this year. Had it not been for the county not being able to get a contractor ready in time, we would not be doing it this year. This just worked out for the IAM and theyare taking credit. Total BULL.

Well you have exactly one year to make it happen next year. I bet my bottom dollar, if I have a dollar or I am still here, that we will not deice next year and the IAM will do nothing about it. Except that they will wait until the first aircraft is deiced before they take it to court, just like we are waiting for the first Airbus to go before we go to court.

Boy are they tough.