US Airways Rebranding

IberiaMAL

Advanced
Dec 30, 2008
Well, the airline aviation has since changed - as well as the economy - since the 2005 merger with America West Airlines. US Airways had adopted the business casual persona as an LCC and I feel this brand is getting weak in the current aviation industry.

The merger between Southwest Airlines and Airtran further strengthens WN in US Airways' playground. WN is a serious competitor and I think US needs to focus on strengths that WN and other LCC's currently do not have; International flights.

While US Airway may be a small player internationally, US Airways can perhaps create a perception that they are a big player internationally as US flies to Dublin, Manchester, London, Lisbon, Athens, Glasgow, Oslo, Madrid, Barcelona, Frankfurt, Munich, Paris, Rome, Venice, Brussels, Amsterdam, Zurich, Tel Aviv, Rio De Janeiro, and most likely Sao Paulo, next year.

I know most of US Airways revenue is generated from the domestic side of things and US Airways is mostly a domestic airline, but US Airways main (and only stated I've seen recently) goals for expansion has been internationally. I figure if US can re-brand itself more in an international way, they can increase perhaps appeal to weaker routes such as CLT-GIG?

I also figured if US Airways re-branded itself more as an international airline, brand perception on the domestic side of things would go up, perhaps?

Here is a little 5 minute sample of what I had in mind as far as re-branding for US goes:

AD.jpg

The whole "Fly with US" is getting old and the more I see it and read it, the more tacky it seems. It seems like something a 7th grade class came up with. And I don't think it reflects the direction US Airways is heading - or would like to head in - at the moment. But perhaps I'm wrong.

us_airways_logo.gif

Does anyone else think it's time for a little brand re-tweaking? Is that Status Quo "Fly With US" thing a good image US Airways should continue to pursue? Any ideas, thoughts, or opinions?

Reactions: 2 people
I'm no marketing guru, but it seems that trying to compete with DL and UA with only the perception of wide spread international reach is a losing proposition - both serve much more of the world than US does. By all means US could leverage the *A benefits in that respect (which they do to some respect considering the limited advertising), but not as a stand alone carrier.

In other words, don't try to create a perception that US can't meet. It's a lot better to under-promise and over-deliver than over-promise and under-deliver.

But that's just my opinion.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
There is a tv commercial that has been running in the Philly market promoting the Cayman Islands. There is a quick audio blurb in the commercial that says "fly USAirways to the Cayman Islands". It is the only advertising I have heard or seen for USAirways other than the banners hanging outside the PHL parking garages.

Southwest has been flooding the Philly tv market with ads.

Ah, this is when I miss Wolf and Gangwall. Say what you will about them, but that was the last time I remember seeing any TV ads about US, the last time there was serious investment in the fleet, in the Clubs, in Envoy, etc. Oh well, times change I guess.

We are the worst at advertising. It just about non-existent.

Southwest has been setting themselves up for Charlotte for years. For years they have flooded the local retailers with their pre-paid debit cards. You can find them in any grocery store or pharmacy right next to the phone and Starbucks cards. They plan..plan...plan...and stick to the plan.

If the folks in Tempe had a brain in their skull they would hire a slick advertising firm and counter the negative ads that Southwest targets US with.

I can see the ad now....cattle car boarding with cows mooing in the background..people pushing and shoving, knocking flight crew around, to gain a seat versus US boarding cool and collected with pristine staff and classical music floating in the air and a lovely chilled glass of wine being served in First Class.

Now if we could just get glassware back in First Class............ <_<

You have to understand that US is run by college interns out there on Rio Dorito Blvd. They have no care in the world of marketing a "product" that well, ISN'T THERE! ! ! ! Market what? Our 20ish destinations we fly with hodge podge airplanes that can make it part of the time? The management of US is SOOOOO out of touch it's pathetic. The airline is run by financial experts who thrive on the success they receive. All which is possible by the hard working employees that kept the lights on at BOTH airlines before this DRASTIC, TERRIBLE, HORRIFIC and BS merger you see today. Market the airline? Again, what product or exotic destination compared to the mega carriers? :rolleyes: SOS.....SOS....SOS....SOS

You have to understand that US is run by college interns out there on Rio Dorito Blvd. They have no care in the world of marketing a "product" that well, ISN'T THERE! ! ! ! Market what? Our 20ish destinations we fly with hodge podge airplanes that can make it part of the time? The management of US is SOOOOO out of touch it's pathetic. The airline is run by financial experts who thrive on the success they receive. All which is possible by the hard working employees that kept the lights on at BOTH airlines before this DRASTIC, TERRIBLE, HORRIFIC and BS merger you see today. Market the airline? Again, what product or exotic destination compared to the mega carriers? :rolleyes: SOS.....SOS....SOS....SOS

- I think US's biggest competition are the Low Cost Carriers and I think US Airways would better themselves by differentiating themselves from the LCC's. I can't see B6 or WN flying to Zurich nor Tel Aviv anytime soon.

- You can reach most any destination via US Airways website thanks to their Star Alliance partners

- It creates an image for what US Airways' goals are (building a formidable international network)

- US Airways does not fly hodge podge aircraft to Tel Aviv, LHR, nor Paris at least. From what I hear, US is really improving their product that currently debut on the A332. I haven't flown US Internationally recently, but that seems to be a general consensus. As more A332's roll in and the A350's arrive in a couple decades, US should have a relatively nice product. I'm sure you employees would know the A332's products more than myself, so, I guess you can correct me if I'm wong :p

US Airways is an international carrier. It may not be the largest (by far), but US has got one. An impressive European network. No Asian and limited South American and Middle Eastern; however, thanks to the Star Alliance, US Airways customers can reach these destinations on partner airlines.

I just think US should differentiate themselves from the LCC's in someway. That's my opinion, for a stand alone US Airways.

:ph34r: I just want to see that "Fly with US" gone. ha ha. I really don't like it anymore.

:lol: Yeah, I realize "Rio Dorita" and "Sandcastle" etc. etc. really has no regards towards advertising nor marketing. At least I never seen any post-merger adverts here in bank town. Except for a few car commercials at the airport over-look which has US birds taking off. :p Team Tempe...

Get rid of the logo. And use real english words for the name.

That was just a general idea for like a commercial in which I could envision US Airways appearing after that snippet I posted.

I was really interested in hearing ya'lls opinion about re branding, not necessarily critiquing what I had in mind (not that I mind at all! :) I would love to hear any opinion regarding US branding. If US should even re brand. (And I'm talking about within 3 - 5 years or longer) :)

How can you re-brand when the brand in question has no brand identity?

US has about 800 different options in creating a brand, of which likely 799 of them would be superior to what they do/don't have now.

How did Bucket O Bolts Airlines, aka Spirit return to profitability? By paying their pilot more than US Airways? Probably not I'm thinking. Perhaps is was good old fashioned MARKETING! Creating a brand identity, publicizing the everloving crap out of it with promotions like "Many Islands, Low Fares" (MILF), going totally a la carte with their pricing and creating media "Buzz" which is another word for free advertising.

Like Spirit or don't they know who they are and so do their customers and in that regard are light years ahead of US Airways.

First off, US does advertise - it's just not in the traditional means that posters are suggesting. As I type this post, I'm staring at an AS advertisement; US does the exact same thing on many websites. I agree that the traditional means may be capable of reaching a greater audience at any given time, but the powers that be have evidently determined that it is not an effective use of resources.

Secondly, we can debate the brand value of most US airlines but remember that it is absolutely VITAL to the success of Southwest Airlines. Unlike any other carrier, WN does not publish its fares on any 3rd party sites, meaning that the customer MUST be trained to visit southwest.com or else WN "loses" that passenger. For every other airline, advertisements by Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, etc are, to some degree, an advertisement for those carriers so US gains passengers as a result of Orbitz having brand awareness. Certainly, it would be a better scenario if US could market itself so that customers would be trained to go to usairways.com versus orbitz.com, but that would no doubt be a very costly project, and one that in all reality, probably wouldn't generate the necessary returns.

US should have a simplified INT'L business product, a simplified domestic f/c product and a coach product similar to Jetblue. Don't promise to offer what you have no intention of delivering. Market the hell out of the simplified and streamlined USair. Change the name to what the majority call you. When the public refers to who they are flying very few say American AIRLINES, United AIRLINES, Delta AIRLINES or Continental AIRLINES. Management has the power to simplify the product. Some examples:

First class on domestic simply called US Business. simple huh?
pre-departure consisting of OJ and water. PERIOD. Simple to do and keeps traffic flowing
Better snacks in the basket. Fresh items like fruit or bagels and cream cheese in the am.
Coach with wifi for $5.00 like Southwest
entertainment like the majority of your competitors that people WILL buy if it's there.
power ports onboard
revamped gate areas catering to the fast paced business customer. Hello?????
Add PHL to the shuttle market
Revamp your cash/credit card policy to ALL CREDIT PERIOD! ! ! ! Including mainline, express, international
Lower your liquor/beer prices to a price that will increase purchases in turn more money for US. Hello?
Offer fresh items in coach. Something besides junk food or trail mix you'd chip a tooth trying to eat.
I'm no fan of selling but the fact is it's HERE and not changing. Offer the tiny cheese/crackers box for $4.00 on EVERY flight.

This is just a small example of marketing thinking 'outside the box'. One can only dream. :rolleyes:

Travel Pro, you are spot on! Too bad the Tempe Tweens can't think outside the box on this. All your suggestions were great! Tempe, are you listening? This is what we need US Business, US Economy, US make money!!!!