Us Airways Restructures More Departments

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Department Restructuring

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - US Airways announced today the restructuring of the company’s Sales, International, and Cargo functions as it continues to transform its business model to become a more efficient and competitive carrier. These departments have been realigned to optimize existing staff, where responsibilities will be broadened. Under the realignment, two management positions, including one sales vice president position will not be filled.

In addition to his other responsibilities, Vice President of International Doug Leo formally has taken on the duties of vice president of sales, a position that was vacated in February 2004, and one that he has been handling since then. Leo now will oversee all International, Sales, and Cargo matters. Reporting directly to Leo from the Sales department will be Managing Director - Sales Development Anita Barrera, who will direct the development and analysis of sales programs and oversee distribution.

Also reporting to Leo will be Joe Ondrus, currently regional sales director of major markets. Ondrus will become managing director – sales, and will be responsible for field sales, specialty sales, national accounts and On Call services.

Eric Mathieu will transition from his current role as managing director - international customer service to managing director – Caribbean. He will be responsible for the company’s Caribbean operations and Caribbean sales activities.

Tony LeFebvre, managing director of cargo will become managing director – Europe and cargo, and will be responsible for domestic and international cargo sales, and the operations, reservations, sales and marketing functions in Europe. Leo will continue to report to Ben Baldanza, senior vice president Marketing and Planning. Baldanza and his team will continue reviewing department functions to find ways to operate in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.

usairways_vote_NO said:
There you go just what you need more chiefs hahahhahah when will it stop.

WHEN THE NO VOTES ARE IN.
Umm, they just eliminated positions.

Hey look!!!! ANOTHER cost cut by management that does not involve labor! :up:

Oh, wait! It does involve labor as it is a REDUCTION of the ever-often bashed management numbers! Looks like US is trying to get more efficient... good move IMO.

The first thing they need to do is to fire all the US Airways club managers. There is no reason the station shift managers can't handle that function. They pay a Manger to fly all over to manage these clubs. The cost of meals and hotels would drop and save plenty of $$$. Every buck counts now....

Light Years said:
This seems to be a good step.
This consolidation should have occured while US was in bankruptcy and immediately post BK. It's not going to save US now. Hindsight is always 2020 but someone should have had the foresight to make drastic and necessary changes over a year ago.

My suggestion years ago, have the station managers, operate 2 stations with in close proximiate of each other..

Example: Cle- Cak..or Cmh
ORd-Mdw...
I'll bet a whole lotta savings would be spared!!

That idea was nixed..of course it was...

golden1 said:
My suggestion years ago, have the station managers, operate 2 stations with in close proximiate of each other..

ORd-Mdw...

MYR - CHS - same manager
ORD-MDK-MKE - same manager

Looks like they listened to you

I apologize for jumping the gun I admit made a mistake.

In the first paragraph of the news story is misread the last line leaving out the "not" in the "positions will not be filled"

I was so used to them filling and making new positions for management I overlooked the word and made a fool of myself.

Again I apologize for any grief I may have caused anyone and ask for your forgiveness I promise I will try to read more thoroughly from now on. Thank you all for pointing out my mistake. I am sure I don't have to ask you to please continue to in the future.

golden1 said:

ORd-Mdw...

our manager does this with two days a week at avp and three at abe does it really svae the company money or no?

That depends on a number of factors.

It costs the company about $30 to pay for the mileage to drive from ABE to AVP (where does that airport code come from, BTW??? Is that Avoca/Pittston?). So if we assume two round-trips a week, that'd come to $120 per week. Per year, that comes to $6,240. On that basis, it's a lot cheaper than paying for another body.

The harder question to answer is the opportunity-cost question. Are things not getting done because of the missing person? If not, then it's hard to imagine how it'd not be saving the company money.

StatioRat said:
The first thing they need to do is to fire all the US Airways club managers. There is no reason the station shift managers can't handle that function. They pay a Manger to fly all over to manage these clubs. The cost of meals and hotels would drop and save plenty of $$$. Every buck counts now....
Excellent point! Having worked in the ato, I must agree that is a waste of money!