US Airways studies United baggage charge

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways Group Inc. said Tuesday it is studying the new charge being imposed by United Airlines on extra luggage.

United said Monday it would charge passengers $25 for their second bag checked on flights and $100 per bag beyond that. The United plan would allow frequent fliers and first class customers to check two bags for free.

US Airways (NYSE:LCC) spokesman Phil Gee confirmed Tuesday that the Tempe-based airline is studying the United plan.

United said that bag check will allow the carrier to keep its fare prices competitive.

and the BEST way to circumvent this is to buy United Airlines tickets via www.usairways.com, where you will be issued a USAirways ticket (037) on a Usairways codeshare flight operated by United.

Because of the way interline agreements & codeshares work, United then has to HONOR the USAirways Contract of Carriage, which states 2 bags free of charge :)

don't give them any ideas...

Lemmings_20_28Fortean_20Times_29_small.jpg

I can see it now. They will check one bag and then carry the other one to the gate and then check it on the jetway.

Study it????

WTF do they need to study?

Make a friggin' decision for Crissakes, that's what they pay you for. By the time you get done studying it UA will be merged or in BK.

While US is busy studying ,Southwest is busy kicking their Arse. :down:
This airline does not seem to have much of a game plan. They are not proactive they are reactive. I wish they would study e+ to see if it makes money, or how about changing the upgrade system to UA or AA's. How about fixing the crappy trans atlantic upgrade certs that are worthless. UA or AA's upgrade reward is ten times better than US's. Oh well all can hope for is a merger with UA, due to my routs i fly it's WN or US. For me US still beats WN for me due to STAR ALLIANCE and first class. I will end my complaining and wish everybody a great day.

and the BEST way to circumvent this is to buy United Airlines tickets via www.usairways.com, where you will be issued a USAirways ticket (037) on a Usairways codeshare flight operated by United.

Because of the way interline agreements & codeshares work, United then has to HONOR the USAirways Contract of Carriage, which states 2 bags free of charge :)

No, United has to do no such thing. Read the CoCs carefully....

Doug: I see that United is charging an extra $25 for each bag over 1.
Scott: Let me put together a Tiger Team to research the feasibility of that study.
Doug: Good, let me know when you are done, we need to hit the bar, gonna be a fun few months with the No Direction Noobs taking office.
Scott: Yeah those guys are clueless, we will screw them over harder than we ever did.

Study it????

WTF do they need to study?

Make a friggin' decision for Crissakes, that's what they pay you for. By the time you get done studying it UA will be merged or in BK.

While US is busy studying ,Southwest is busy kicking their Arse. :down:

Paid to make a decision? No I don't think so. They are paid to figure out how to manipulate you into paying more without revolting. Floating out the impending screw job is what they get paid to do, so when it does come you won't do more than beotch on a web forum. :lol:

I can see it now. They will check one bag and then carry the other one to the gate and then check it on the jetway.
I wonder If they would try to charge the customer if the bag was obviously not
a carry on.
Another problem could occur where the customers all start bringing the largest
actuall carry on they can. This could be a dissater in trying to board a full 321.
Somebody said here that it's already going on in Europe. Did they have any
problems?

Another problem could occur where the customers all start bringing the largest
actuall carry on they can. This could be a dissater in trying to board a full 321.
Somebody said here that it's already going on in Europe. Did they have any
problems?

No! In Europe they actually enforce the size of the bags you can bring into a terminal. There is a bin prior to security, if the bag does not fit you do not clear security. We are too busy in America checking grandma's shoes to enforce the rule!

You pay extra to check additional bags...if those bags don't arrive with you, do you get a refund?
Nope, no refund if they don't arrive with you. Only if you don't travel at all and this can actually be verified. I believe you get $25 per day for toiletries(cost of replacement clothing is not covered) if your bag doesn't arrive with you, but that doesn't come into play until your bag is lost for 3 days and then it is retro-active. Somebody from CBRO will have to confirm the delayed baggage compensation, I could be wrong.