US Airways to drop 200 daily departures

Lou

Aug 20, 2002
US Airways to drop 200 daily departures
ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) — US Airways plans to reduce its flight schedule about 13%, to 1,350 daily departures from 1,550, as part of a restructuring plan designed to allow the airline to emerge from bankruptcy as a profitable carrier.
Most flights will be eliminated next month, with the rest to be eliminated by the end of the year, the airline said in a recorded message to employees.
US Airways, the nation''s seventh-largest carrier, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection earlier this month. The company, which had already reduced its capacity 23% after the Sept. 11 attacks, had warned employees and customers that further reductions were likely.
The company did not discuss which flights would be eliminated. But the carrier has already said it will continue service to all but one of the 204 cities it serves, the vast majority of which are east of the Mississippi.
The reduction in flights will necessitate layoffs, said President and CEO David Siegel. The exact number is unclear, but US Airways'' pilots anticipate losing about 500 of 4,387 remaining jobs by early 2003 because of reduced flying as the airline cuts its schedule. More than 1,000 pilots were laid off after the Sept. 11 attacks.
Siegel met Wednesday with US Airways employees in Charlotte, the airline''s largest hub.
"Some employees clearly were not happy while others seemed to be saying, ''Let''s move on and try to fix things,''" said Steve Hearn, president of the Charlotte local of the Association of Flight Attendants. "I''d say the mood overall was positive."
Hearn, who has said he anticipates 500 of the airline''s 7,604 flight attendants could lose their jobs, said Siegel did not try to hide the fact that the airline needs to shrink before it can become profitable.
The company, in its most recent bankruptcy filings, said it has about 40,000 full- and part-time employees.
"It is painful to me to eliminate just one job," Siegel said to employees. "These are difficult yet necessary decisions that will help return our company to profitability."

Next month?? When will the schedules be loaded? It would be
nice if we don't have to rebook everyone (and inform them their flight's been cancelled) on the day of departure.

"I can get you there on UA through ORD 2 1/2 hours later"

INVOL

The WSJ is reporting the company intends to operate 280 mainline aircraft by year end. So, is this a signal of how negotiations with aircraft lessors are going? Were they able to negotiate leases on the remaining 280 aircraft? I believe I read at one point 3 757s and 28 733s/734s were slated for retirement. What's the story with the widebodies? I'm surprised a few European cities are not being dropped, or could US now think those flights might at least break even with a reduced cost structure?

At least when planes are parked in Chapter 11 the leases can be terminated instead of remaining a drain on the balance sheet.

I know the September schedule was just finalized yesterday in TCICS & Gate Plan. We have pulled back service the week of Sept 9th and deleted flights thru out the month.

"The reduction in flights will necessitate layoffs, said President and CEO David Siegel. The exact number is unclear, but US Airways' pilots anticipate losing about 500 of 4,387 remaining jobs by early 2003 because of reduced flying as the airline cuts its schedule. More than 1,000 pilots were laid off after the Sept. 11 attacks."

Isn't that special...we give back and now we get SCREWED AGAIN! I AM SICK OF TREATING EMPLOYEES LIKE DAMN ANCIENT AIRPLANES. We have families to feed and no job market to go to. Maybe we can panhandle outside of Dave's house. Dave, I hope you enjoy yourself and take great pleasure in counting your money. You greedy b-st-rd.

----------------
On 8/22/2002 12:33:25 AM
What's the story with the widebodies? I'm surprised a few European cities are not being dropped, or could US now think those flights might at least break even with a reduced cost structure?
----------------

The press release about maintaining service in 203 cities could be read to mean U.S. cities. It isn't clear whether they are talking about total cities or U.S. cities.

I had some spare time this morning (everything was full, but dont know where they were checking in) and did some searching of flights for Sept that have been dropped. Below is a list of flights that I was able to find.
LGA- BUF 2xrt
PHL- TPA 1rt/ ORF 2xow/ BOS 3xow/ Alb 1ow
PIT- TPA 1rt/ Syr 1rt/ BUF 1ow
CLT- DCA 1rt/ RIC 1rt/ CHS 2xrt/ JAX 1ow/SAV 1rt/ ILM 2xrt/
ROC 1ow
ORF- PHL 1ow
ORF- PIT 1ow
BOS- PIT 1ow
BOS- PHL 2xow
JAX- PHL 1ow
ALB- CLT 1ow
ROC- PIT 1ow
This is 40 of the flights out of the 200 so far. I dont know if the weekend only LGA-Florida flights were included in the 200 to be cut or not. I'm also sure there are more out there for Sept that will be cut, I just didnt have time to find them. (I actually had to start working. [:bigsmile:] )