Us Airways Union Says Labor Deal Is Near

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) -- Union leaders representing US Airways pilots said Thursday that a new labor agreement could be struck soon, telling their rank and file a new deal is "our last opportunity to control the fate of our airline and our careers."

US Airways Group Inc. has said that new labor deals with unions are necessary to avoid a second trip into bankruptcy and possible liquidation. Though the airline has warned that bankruptcy looms if deals are not reached by at least Sept. 30, progress has been slow.

A deal with the pilots would be the first significant step in US Airways' plans to cut costs by $1.5 billion a year, including labor savings of $800 million.

The airline has sought $295 million a year in concessions from pilots. Management made a proposal Tuesday that union leaders are asking members to review carefully.

"It is by no means a final deal, but it will give you an idea of how management is now looking at many of the issues, and the alternatives, being discussed at the table," wrote Bill Pollock, chairman of the union's leadership council. "Since a tentative agreement could be struck soon, it's critical to remain informed."

Pollock's message did not discuss details of management's proposal.

Union spokesman Jack Stephan said both management and union proposals are designed to achieve $295 million in savings, but that some differences exist as to exactly how much savings can be achieved through specific contract changes.

US Airways spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said the airline believes "both sides are committed to reaching a deal as quickly as possible."

Pollock, in his message to pilots, also rebuked some members of his own union group for dismissing the threat of liquidation.

"I know you've heard it before, but these negotiations are quite likely the most critical ones of our careers. This may very well be our last time at bat, our last opportunity to control the fate of our airline and our careers," Pollock said.

Stephan said this round of negotiations has been particularly difficult for the union because it comes on top of major concessions that enabled the airline to emerge from its initial bankruptcy reorganization.

"We're starting to cut into the bones of the contract, not just the flesh and muscle, so it's been a very painful process," Stephan said.

Generally, the pilots have been most receptive to renegotiating their contract. The pilots were also first to reach a new deal during US Airways' first trip into bankruptcy in 2002, when labor groups collectively made more than $1 billion a year in concessions.

A study commissioned by the pilots found earlier this month that a bankruptcy filing loomed as soon as mid-September unless management could implement reforms and cost savings.

US Airways is also seeking concessions from its flight attendants, machinists, and from the Communications Workers of America, which represents reservations agents and gate workers.

Last week, US Airways chief executive Bruce Lakefield said progress with the machinists was "nonexistent." Negotiations with the CWA are also expected to be particularly difficult, because those employees do not have the complex work rules that provide more flexibility for negotiations with, say, the pilots or flight attendants.

Earlier this week, US Airways chairman David Bronner said that if US Airways is forced to file for bankruptcy again, he expects the airline will have to liquidate rather than reorganize.

In a recorded message to employees, Lakefield said Bronner's comments reflect a worst-case scenario and that "talk of an imminent shutdown, a disruption of service, or impending liquidation is simply not true."

"If Chapter 11 becomes necessary, our survival will remain dependent upon transformation," Lakefield said. "One way or another, we need new labor agreements."

US Airways shares fell 15 cents Thursday to close at $1.78 on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

USA320Pilot said:
The TA will pass by a 2 to 1 margin.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="170696"][/post]​
What? You've already fixed the vote? I guess I wouldn't really be too surprised. Or, is it the same 2 to 1 margine that you said the PHL reps would be recalled by? Oh, I get it. Must be a joke. You and Bronner must have gone to the same comedy school!

USA320Pilot said:

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="170696"][/post]​
USA320PILOT,

Obviously you don't think you have much to offer outside of your seniority protected job at USAirways, if YOU are willing to vote for this travesty. Like I have said before, you and the rest of the GAG have NO bottom line. Truly sad that those before have given so much so that you could live the cushy life you have just to have you fold when it was your turn to stand up for your chosen profession.

Disgusted

careerfurloughee said:
USA320PILOT,

Obviously you don't think you have much to offer outside of your seniority protected job at USAirways, if YOU are willing to vote for this travesty. Like I have said before, you and the rest of the GAG have NO bottom line. Truly sad that those before have given so much so that you could live the cushy life you have just to have you fold when it was your turn to stand up for your chosen profession.

Disgusted
[post="170705"][/post]​
Don't worry. His statement only proves that he is out of touch with reality. Of course, those that have been here longer than the last couple of weeks knew that already! :shock:

USA320Pilot said:

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="170696"][/post]​

NOT if it is close to that last counteroffer . Even those that have cast favorable votes for previous T/A's will not vote for anything like that.

The pilots will vote for something that approximates their "fair share" of the total savings the company seeks. However, the latest counteroffer goes way beyond that level and is as insulting as what has been presented to CWA and AFA.

Especially with Dr. Doom having such blatant disregard for the employees in the press the past two days. Someone put a muzzle on that Red Neck Elitist before he drives all the customers to the competition further depleting revenues.

Hmm... I wonder if this reputed deal is something like the 12.5% W-2 cut the pilots reportedly offered initially. If the pilots' sacrifice will indeed be something like that, I have trouble believing that lower paid work groups will accept a greater percnatge of W-2 cuts. Even a hypothetical 12.5% across the board cut would be regressive and hit the lower paid groups harder.

While I think that most in the CWA group might recognize the need for a cut, I don't think a greater cut than that of the pilots will be accepted. Certainly not the 35% W-2 cut proffered by th ecompany.

Dont call me Shirley said:
Hmm... I wonder if this reputed deal is something like the 12.5% W-2 cut the pilots reported offered initially. If the pilots sacrifice will indeed be something like that, I have trouble beleive that lower paid work groups will accept a greater percnatge of W-2 cuts. Even a hypothetical 12.5% across the board cut would be regressive and hit the lower paid groups harder.

While I think that most in the CWA group might recognize the need for a cut, I don't think a greater cut than that of the pilots will be accepted. Certainly not the 35% W-2 cut proffered by th ecompany.
[post="170720"][/post]​
The last offer by the company was more like your last numbers, NOT 12.5%. And a whole lot of other ugly stuff as well. Plus furloughs of 25% of the remaining pilot group, a group that ALREADY has about 40% of its members furloughed already. Yea, it'll pass by 2 to 1. At least according to USA320Pilot it will.

Dont call me Shirley,

It's not even close. 16.5%, lose the current DC pension, and 95 hours/month up to 33.5%, keep the DC pension, and 95 hours/month. Plus lots of other "productivity improvements". Even if ALPA was very optimistic in assigning a value to their initial proposal, this one has to be worth over $500 million.

Jim

Dont call me Shirley said:
Not to beat the poor ole dead horse again, but there is a certain work group that lost its defined retirement benefits 12 years ago.
[post="170727"][/post]​
You beat it, and yes, it's still dead. 12 years ago isn't even a part of the formula anymore.