US Airways was the most successful major airline

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you stated,the cause is often ATC. Who handles that? The Governement so why shouldn't they give me a part of the fine? It's their fault too that a a customer I'm delayed. If the FAA.DOT collects a fine for a tarmac delay they should share the proceeds with the injured party! (Customer).

If the government caused the delay, shouldn't they be the one paying the fine? And wouldn't the airline be the injured party?

Reactions: 2 people
If the government caused the delay, shouldn't they be the one paying the fine? And wouldn't the airline be the injured party?
The reality is that no pilot wants to sit around for three hours for no good reason before takeoff. They have better things to do.
The other reality is that no pilot can move an airplane an inch on the ground or in the sky without explicit permission from Air Traffic Control.
Problem is, the pilots can request all they want, but until their requests are granted, nothing moves.
The ATC system is broken badly and the government blames the users of the system for the system's problems.
Kinda like if there were no airplanes, the ATC system would work perfectly!
The solution is not to fine the airlines, but to fix the ATC system. Write your congressmen and tell them to fix it - now - 'cause it will only get worse.

Reactions: 2 people
RE:Dr's appointments.It has bee tried successfuly where someone has filed suit in small claims couts for continued lateness froma Dr. So while I do not dot it,it has been done.

If I'm a consultant and I bill my times at $200/hr (A not uncommon Figure) and I'm delayed 3 hours that's $600.00 I could have billed the client. As you stated,the cause is often ATC. Who handles that? The Governement so why shouldn't they give me a part of the fine? It's their fault too that a a customer I'm delayed. If the FAA.DOT collects a fine for a tarmac delay they should share the proceeds with the injured party! (Customer).

I don't like the tramac rule as I think it is possibly the most customer unfriendly move the government has ever made. Frankly it's nothing more than a money grab by an administration that is starved for money due to their inability to stimulat the economy while incurring large amounts of public debt.

Now back on topic I'm thrilled that the Rank & File got the $150 bonus per employee. I would remind Senior Management that the men & women of US Airways EARNED the bous it wasn't "Given", There is a difference.

Child please!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
The ground delays are the airlines' faults. Period. The limitations of our congested airspace in busy areas (e.g. the NE) have been well known for many years. Yet, the airlines collectively schedule more take offs and landings in an hour than an airport (i.e. PHL or EWR) can handle on a GOOD day. You get some bad weather and it all goes to poop. Is it the government's fault when an interstate highway has a traffic jam because everybody wants to travel during rush hour at the same time? No. The drivers have the option of timing their travel differently to try to take advantage of the less busy times.

So, yes, I'm all for the new fines. If it involves canceling some flights then so be it. Maybe it will actually lead to some more rational scheduling that will eliminate the need to ever cancel a flight for anticipated ground delays.

On that topic, however, it's interesting to note that the number of canceled flights only went up from .9% to 1.2%, while the number of tarmac ground delays went from 35 in May 2009 to....wait for it....FIVE in May 2010. FIVE! Yes, it's been just one solid month to compare, but I'm optimistic that these numbers will continue to show significant reductions as we get through the Summer thunderstorm season in the NE. We can revisit this thread in October when the numbers are all in for those months.

And, as Doug said, the airlines all "did this to ourselves". Finally something I agree with from that guy.

I didnt know the airlines created the weather problems that cause the antiquated ATC system (operated and owned by the FAA).

ATC is all the governments fault for not using the aviation trust fund to upgrade the system.

I didnt know the airlines created the weather problems that cause the antiquated ATC system (operated and owned by the FAA).

ATC is all the governments fault for not using the aviation trust fund to upgrade the system.

The FAA has been upgrading it, albeit at a slow pace. And, no, ATC doesn't control weather. But airlines do control how they schedule flights. And when they are already scheduling them at a rate that an airport cannot handle on a GOOD weather day, then it IS their fault. The FAA also didn't force the airlines to start filling the sky with more, yet smaller jets either. That adds to the congestion, too.

If you claim that the FAA hasn't been using the trust fund, then after reading the reports, enlighten us on where the money's been going.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/aep/aatf/

And how about all the airport improvements? Because the trust fund isn't just for ATC. It's called the Airport and Airway Trust Fund. So, it looks like the states have been getting some help to maintain their <non airline> served airports as well since general aviation is a very important piece of the overall aviation infrastructure.

http://www.faa.gov/airports/aip/grant_histories/

Consumer demand, and available slots at slot controlled airports and international slots control how the airline schedules its flights.

The airline is in business to make money and schedules flights to do so.

And yes the FAA and the airports control capacity.

Just look at how they opened up restricted air space during the holidays to reduce flight delays.

And the FAA and the airports set how many landings and takeoffs can occur.

So they do control it.

And yes the FAA and the airports control capacity.

Just look at how they opened up restricted air space during the holidays to reduce flight delays.

And the FAA and the airports set how many landings and takeoffs can occur.

So they do control it.
And the airlines know historically how much they can schedule into given time periods. There aren't many slot controlled airports. PHL and EWR come to mind as major congestion hogs with no slot controls.

It's a combination of both to be quite honest. The ATC system being "upgraded" is nothing but electrical tape on a faulty wire. The system should be replaced and brought up to the year 2010. The airlines schedule what customers want. Hell it's sorta like a legacy carrier cutting capacity. An LCC will come in and fill the void in many cases resulting on no decline in a/c movement in a crowded airport. How about WN entering the already clogged and hog tied PHL? Should US cut back to help accomodate them and ease delays?

You know Travelpro72,

You normally come on here and Bash USAirways......

I guess You have Nothing Nice to say about the Front Line Employees that made this Triple Play Happen?

Bash Management all you want, but this Topic is about doing a Great Job in May !

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS !!!!!

It doesn't help that the airline pushes a huge portion of the fleet at nearly the same time in the hubs.All the airlines. CLT especially bad as it pushes right into an arrival bank time after time.

You know Travelpro72,

You normally come on here and Bash USAirways......

I guess You have Nothing Nice to say about the Front Line Employees that made this Triple Play Happen?

Bash Management all you want, but this Topic is about doing a Great Job in May !

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS !!!!!

If you don't mind mind me asking, what's with the random capitalization? I'm genuinely curious as to whether or not it's a conscious choice of writing style.

I have seen quite a few E-lines with CAPS. Haven't you FlyOnWall? ;) Oh and @ Hope777, Who in l are YOU (some more caps for ya) to tell me I'm bashing frontline employees. I AM a frontline employee. I see the company throwing $150.00 to the hard workers who keep this place running. Running on a shoestring with skeleton crews beaten down hard. While I'll gladly accept the money as it's hard earned I'd love to see what those in their cushy offices will receive. We are to jump up and down and $h!t rainbows because of this? It's is money rightfully deserved. I'd rather see it in the form of a raise, a new contract. So if you think I am bashing frontline employees that's your issue. If you don't like what I have to say on here please feel free to use the ignore feature. Until then....zip it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.