US-DL Merger: US' For The Record - Dec. 19, 2006

Once again, I caution you all against "giving a damn".

If the Money Men are made happy enough, then this deal is done. All that's going on now is quasi-public negotiations for more $$$.

Politicians and Unions are nothing but yet another group to buy off. And the only union at DAL is ALPA, who is notorious for being easy to pay off.

The DOJ and Congress...? One only look to Big Oil to see how much the government really cares about "competition" and the consumer.

This is exactly the reason the ATSB was set up the way it was, with the mandate they felt they had. The only surprise is that the moves towards consolidation took this long.

Three large international carriers and 1-3 large domestic discount carriers... Everyone in and outside the industry has expected this to happen for the longest time... So why are you Delta people acting so surprised that you are in play while in BK...?

Is it because you are worried that you will get the same treatment you extended to the Pan Am people back in the day...?

"Oh Snap"

L4P and 777, No one knows if this merger will happen or not but do NOT discount Doug Parker. He is extremely smart and whether you agree with this proposal or not he doesnt shoot from the hip. He is always well prepared and yes, NW may be the true target but we still dont know for sure. If it is US/HP employees will welcome them onboard just as we would welcome Delta employees. Doug already has a place in aviation history with the US/HP merger so why should he "hail Mary" something that would not fly?(no pun intended!) and ruin that reputation? Those that are willing to put up the 8.6B wouldnt do this if there was no point. How many man hours are those companies wasting getting involved with something that could never happen? Im sure they're looking at the valuation of both US's proposal and Deltas stand alone valuation. What does the future hold for all those involved? After 9/11, I wouldnt even guess. Im just one of those curious peons interested but I have spoken with Doug enough to know he is no idiot.

... So why are you Delta people acting so surprised that you are in play while in BK...?

The only thing I'm surprised about is that anyone thinks this merger is a good "fit". DL and practically ANY other carrier (except AA) would be a better fit. Is that so difficult to understand?

The only thing I'm surprised about is that anyone thinks this merger is a good "fit". DL and practically ANY other carrier (except AA) would be a better fit. Is that so difficult to understand?
Not to burst your bubble, but please name one other possible merger partner that would be easier for US Airways to acquire and control...

It's not about "fit", it's about controlling market share and making sure that we are one of the "Big Three" that remain when all of the consolidation ends.

You guys are a big, fat, and juicy target.

No standing carrier is nearly as easy (or cheap for the return) to takeover, and even in BK NWA's labor situation makes your's seem like a breeze.

Seriously, stop thinking like an employee. THAT'S why it seems so difficult for you to understand...

This merger merely elemantes the overcapacity created by Delta since 1990 on US Airway's traditional routes. For the past 15 years Deltas business plan has center around using Comair to run US Airways out of business. They figured they could outlast US Airways and then reap the benefits.

This merger merely elemantes the overcapacity created by Delta since 1990 on US Airway's traditional routes. For the past 15 years Deltas business plan has center around using Comair to run US Airways out of business. They figured they could outlast US Airways and then reap the benefits.
Ding Ding Ding...

And That's the final answer.

All US Airways is doing is creating the desired outcome that DAL has wanted for itself up till now...

What is the big deal then, is it that you have to deal with merging with the US Airways employees that would have been unemployed if your original plan had worked...?

Ah, wait a second, after seeing what happened when you took over the assets of Pan Am and Eastern, I already have my answer.

Ahh, another one that hopes this will get him in any seat on a big bird (Big being greater that 50 seats)
Haha.

I do not fly for US Airways.

And the plane I fly is bigger than any plane you have on the property at DAL.

I am just bored in this hotel here in Seoul..., And take issue with the self serving bias and outright hypocrisy of certain DAL employees, who have gained thru two recent windfalls of growth at the expense of other Bankrupt carrier's employees.

Turnabout's fair play pal, check the rulebook.

Got anything else stupid to say...?

Ding Ding Ding...

And That's the final answer.

All US Airways is doing is creating the desired outcome that DAL has wanted for itself up till now...

What is the big deal then, is it that you have to deal with merging with the US Airways employees that would have been unemployed if your original plan had worked...?

Ah, wait a second, after seeing what happened when you took over the assets of Pan Am and Eastern, I already have my answer.
Haha.

I am just bored in this hotel here in Seoul..., And take issue with the self serving bias and outright hypocrisy of certain DAL employees, who have gained thru two recent windfalls of growth at the expense of other Bankrupt carrier's employees.

Turnabout's fair play pal, check the rulebook.
Got anything else stupid to say...?

Amen Brother

I'll think like the DOJ. Your assumptions are flawed.
The deal is anti-competitive. Denied.
How's that for a fat target analysis?

No, the DOJ says the battle was fought, Delta/Comair failed to run US Airways out of business. US Airways employees bit the bullet and turned their company around and are now in a position to reap the benefits.

I'll think like the DOJ. Your assumptions are flawed.
The deal is anti-competitive. Denied.
How's that for a fat target analysis?
Pu-lease.

Stop being naive.

if it was anti-competitive in terms of what really matters, you would have all of the competition up in arms about this, rather than a muted acknowledgement.

Southwest and Air Tran would LOVE this deal to go thru. So would the other legacies that look to do some consolidating themselves.

Three big International and two to three Domestic low cost carriers means 5-6 profitable US airlines. Nuff said.

You really think the same administration that thought foriegn ownership of US airlines is a "great idea", is going to give a damn about THIS...?

Wake up. The Lobbyists that supposedly represent consumer interests have as much pull as a horse cart. Unions...? Oh, they will makes some noise, but as soon as they get what they want, that will quiet right down.

This is exactly what the government (see ATSB) and Wall Street have wanted for sometime... Don't kid yourself that your objections, or Middle Class America having to pay more for tickets means squat.

The near monopoly that Big Oil has become is not as good as an example as is the telecommunications industry, of the government being quite content with allowing this sort of thing to occur...

Remember, we were told that "competition" from DirectTV/Dish Network made it "OK" for the consolidation of the cable/phone operators... Same thing for the "competition" from Low Cost Airlines being touted as the reason this deal is just as "OK"

You really think that if it is acceptable to have only one cable operator in town, or "allowing" pricing power that can raise the cost per Gallon of gas at the pumps instantly... That it is MY assumptions that are flawed...?

Think again. :rolleyes:

Face it, if Southwest, AirTran, and JetBlue get something outta this now (gates, routes, slots), and then have only three large competitors uninterested in low ticket prices in the future... Then you'll see this termed "competitive" enough to pass muster with everyone's pet politicians.

It's not about "fit", it's about controlling market share and making sure that we are one of the "Big Three" that remain when all of the consolidation ends.
If you don't work for DAL or US then why would you say "we"? Something's fishy here...oh yeah look at your avatar.

Haha.

So, who do you fly for?

If you don't work for DAL or US then why would you say "we"? Something's fishy here...oh yeah look at your avatar.
So, who do you fly for?
Because I used to wear a US Airways uniform.

And if you aren't clever enough to figure out what aircraft is larger than a B-777, and why I would be in some hotel in Korea as a result, then I am not going to waste time explaining to you how all the decent paying pilot jobs have gone overseas.

Like many U furloughees, I will probably not return. But that does not mean that I am in the mood to stomach outright hypocrisy from employees of the same airline, that windfalled at the expense of EAL, Pan AM, and US Airways (when they were in bankruptcy) just because someone is now knocking at your door. :angry:

Like was said before, this possible outcome of Delta "ruling the southeast" is EXACTLY what Delta wanted for years now. The only difference is that we (meaning US Airways employees and those that support em) come along with the result...

Deal with it.

Because I used to wear a US Airways uniform.

And if you aren't clever enough to figure out what aircraft is larger than a B-777, and why I would be in some hotel in Korea as a result, then I am not going to waste time explaining to you how all the decent paying pilot jobs have gone overseas.

Like many U furloughees, I will probably not return. But that does not mean that I am in the mood to stomach outright hypocrisy from employees of the same airline, that windfalled at the expense of EAL, Pan AM, and US Airways when they were in bankruptcy when someone comes knocking at your door

Like was said before, this possible outcome of Delta "ruling the southeast" is EXACTLY what Delta wanted for years now. The only difference is that we (meaning US Airways employees and those that support em) come along with the result...
Deal with it.

First off, how in the hell did I benefit from the expense of any defunct airline? By the time I became a F/A, Eastern & Pan Am were long gone. You see, I'm alot younger than you are.
Secondly, I am also a nurse. I fly part-time for the flight benefits. So, I could give a rat's *** how "big" your plane is. I simply asked you a question. If you treat your crews the way you treat people on this board, I'm sure you're a real pleasure to fly with. I've worked with neurosurgeons who have a nicer personality than you.
Maybe you should find something else to do with yourself in your hotel room in Seoul.

NYC

Rico is an ex Barbie Jet driver. How he managed to fly dog crap out of Korea in a big bird, I have no idea.

But let's take this at face value. He wants to come back. He now has time in a big bird. He knows the only way out of spending nights in Korea posting on avaition is if this deal goes through. He gets recalled and maybe just maybe he doesn't fly the BJ any more.

Got it? Now you can deal with it......