US-DL Merger: US' For The Record - Dec. 19, 2006

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
An Important Message from Doug Parker - December 19, 2006

Dear US Airways Employees:

By now you have likely read news coverage of Delta’s Plan of Reorganization, which was released publicly earlier today. Also today, Delta’s Board of Directors formally rejected our merger proposal and I have received a letter from Jerry Grinstein, Delta’s CEO, communicating this information.

Today’s announcement comes as no surprise to us, and based on Delta’s public comments and actions after our proposal was communicated to them last month, will likely not come as a surprise to anyone else either. Delta’s executives have been adamant about their desire to emerge as a standalone company in spite of having recently had the opportunity to compare value returned by a merged airline versus a standalone airline (US Airways vs. United). While we are disappointed that Delta has not yet accepted our request to start a due diligence process, we believe the Delta Creditors Committee and other stakeholders will ultimately insist that this process occur before selecting any go-forward plan.

Delta’s standalone plan and ensuing public comments do not alter our belief that a combined airline creates far more value than a standalone plan. Our merger proposal, which we estimate would create $1.65 billion in annual synergies that are not achievable in a standalone plan, simply provides greater value than Delta estimates for its plan. (Editor’s Note: A separate For the Record explaining valuation is coming shortly…so gather the kids, pop some popcorn and settle in for a great read!)

While the market attempts to digest Delta’s announcement, assumptions and valuation forecasts, we will remain steadfast in our resolve to return maximum value to our shareholders and to Delta’s stakeholders. We will not be distracted by emotional or irrational arguments; there is simply too much at stake to lose sight of what is really important.

We will continue to work with the Creditors Committee and other stakeholders in a methodical and deliberate process to ensure that the best go-forward plan prevails, and we will do so while adhering to the guiding principles that have led us thus far. These include communicating openly and honestly with all of our stakeholders; demonstrating continued respect for the people of Delta; and working with Delta’s creditors as they are ultimately the decision-makers for Delta’s future. Because of the $1.65 billion in synergies, we remain confident that our merger proposal will ultimately prevail.

As always, please keep an eye on Compass, theHub and company communications as we examine the Delta standalone plan and respond when appropriate. Keep those questions coming too, and those can be sent to [email protected].

Lastly, in the days ahead, thank you for taking care of our customers as they travel to visit family and friends. We have the privilege of carrying a large number of passengers over the next two weeks and your efforts to ensure our airline runs on-time and delivers baggage when promised are appreciated. Thanks again, and happy holidays!

Doug

US Airways Comments on Delta Standalone Plan - December 19, 2006

US Airways Group, Inc. today commented on the release of Delta Air Lines Inc.’s standalone plan for its Chapter 11 restructuring.

Doug Parker, US Airways’ Chairman and CEO said, “We have always expected that Delta would file a standalone plan with the Bankruptcy Court. This plan will provide Delta creditors with a benchmark against which to evaluate the competing proposals and we welcome that comparison. This is an important step in a process that we believe will result in the merger of US Airways and Delta.

“Combining US Airways and Delta will create at least $1.65 billion in annual synergies beyond the value that could be created by any standalone plan. These synergies come on top of the certainty of $4.0 billion in cash and the upside potential of 78.5 million shares of US Airways stock. These shared synergies will benefit all shareholders in the ‘New’ Delta. Factoring the synergy benefits into our offer, the current value of our proposal is significantly greater than the value of Delta’s standalone plan.

“We remain a disciplined and determined bidder for Delta. We continue to work productively with the Creditors Committee and the Ad Hoc Bondholders Committee. Finally, we recognize and appreciate the creditors’ ultimate authority in this process.â€

US Airways is the fifth largest domestic airline employing nearly 35,000 aviation professionals worldwide. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express operate approximately 3,800 flights per day and serve more than 230 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. The new US Airways -- the product of a merger between America West and US Airways in September 2005 -- is a member of the Star Alliance, which provides connections for our customers to 841 destinations in 157 countries worldwide. This press release and additional information on US Airways can be found at www.usairways.com. (LCCG)

For The Record: Valuation (US Airways’ Periodical Merger Newsletter) - December 19, 2006

Since we announced our proposed merger with Delta, much has been written about the value of our proposal and how it would compare to the value of Delta’s standalone plan. Now that Delta has released its plan, every interested party – especially Delta’s creditors, who have the ultimate authority in this process – will have the chance to compare the competing proposals. This “valuation†of proposals is an important piece of the bankruptcy process and is key determinant of which plan will eventually prevail. Unfortunately, it’s a little complicated (although we think the investment bankers like to keep it that way so they can feel so much smarter than the rest of us!) so in this For The Record, we will try to clear up some of the confusion.

Delta Standalone Valuation

Let’s start with the value that Delta is saying their standalone plan is worth. They filed a set of financial projections this morning with the Bankruptcy Court and at the same time said their investment bankers, The Blackstone Group, believe the value of those projections to be approximately $9.4 to $12 billion. Now we don’t know exactly how they came up with that valuation, but we’ve hung out with enough investment bankers to tell you that it is not exactly rocket science (although don’t hold our selection of friends against us…some of these banker types actually DO have personalities believe it or not).

Here’s how it work’s: Generally what they do is take on of the year’s earnings estimates (say 2007) and then multiply that year’s earnings by some “multipleâ€. A company’s “multipleâ€, which is also called a price/earnings ratio, is supposed to give investors an idea of a company’s earnings power. In this case, investment bankers use an industry “multipleâ€, and that industry “multiple†is supposed to be based on how the stock market is currently valuing other similar, publicly traded companies (in this case it’s US Airways, America, United, Continental). As you might imagine, you can get some pretty wide ranges of estimates by either being aggressive with your earnings projections or being just a little generous with that volatile “multipleâ€. When it’s all said and done though, it shold look reasonable versus other publicly traded companies.

Let’s look at how Delta’s self-estimated valuation compares to the rest of us:

Airline/Valuation (in billions)
Southwest - $12.4
Delta (self evaluation) - $9.4 to $12.0
American - $6.7
United - $5.0
US Airways - $4.9$
Continental - $3.9

Anything look out of line here? Now call us skeptical, but does anybody really believe that a Delta standalone plan could be worth as much as Southwest? A more relevant comparison is probably United, because they emerged from bankruptcy in 2006, with a new balance sheet and lowered costs like Delta. They are about 25 percent larger than Delta and their profit margins (how much money they make on each dollar of revenue collected) so far in 2006 are actually higher. It is odd that Delta thinks the stock market will value them twice as much has United, and today’s announcement does not provide any light on the basis for Delta’s assertions.

Delta/US Airways Merger Valuation

But let’s not stop there; we need to focus on running our own race and that brings us to the value of our proposal. We have offered the Delta creditors (who truly won Delta because Delta is in bankruptcy) the following:

· $4.0 billion in cash
· 78.5 million shares of US Airways stock

Now the cash part is easy - $4.0 billion is $4.0 billion – no investment bankers needed for that one. However, the stock part gets a little trickier. If you read media reports, they usually take the 78.5 million shares and multiply that number by US Airways’ current stock price (say $58) and come up with a value for the stock. In this example $58 x 78.5 million shares = $4.6 billion, so you may read that our offer is worth a total of $8.6 billion dollars.

While this is all quite logical, the problem is this is not an apples-to-apples comparison to the Delta self-valuation. In order to ge a more valid comparison, we would have to:

· take our earnings estimates for US Airways standalone
· add them to Delta’s standalone earnings estimates
· add our $1.65 billion in anticipated merger synergies
· multiply that number by Blackstone’s “multipleâ€

The result of that would be a much higher number than Delta’s self-assessment. This basically means that if you calculate the value of our offer using Delta’s methodology, we estimate our offer today is worth in excess of even Delta’s $12 billion self-valuation and far more than $8.6 billion.

Stated another way, the current stock price of LCC is not a fair representation of the value the creditors will receive. WE believe that once we close this transaction and begin realizing synergies, our stock will trade well above its current value of $58 and therefore the creditors will receive much more than $4.6 billion in value for their 78.5 million shares.

Summary

So where does all of this leave us? Basically, you’ll be hearing a bunch of numbers thrown out over the coming weeks but try to keep them in perspective. We are a highly skeptical of Delta’s self-valuation and we know the media reports of the value of our offer are understated. In spite of these conflicting messages, we continue to believe in, and will continue to communicate the value of our offer, an offer that is far superior to the Delta standalone proposal.

Worth mentioning of course, is that the creditors understand all of this and ultimately, Delta’s future will be theirs to decide. That’s the way it should be, and we are confident that they and their advisors will come to the right decision and that the US Airways/Delta merger will prevail.

Delta: US Air deal would hike fares – No. 3 carrier rejects hostile bid, arguing regulators would block proposed $8.4 billion merger, but rival says it’s not going away

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Hell USA320Pilot, if your gonna double post, then so will i. Fair and balanced baby, fair and balanced!!!

Damn Doogie, give up already!!! This deal ain't gonna happen.

Everybody already knows that Dougie is an "expert" in the bankruptcy process. Hell, America West has been there before, from 1991 to 1994, 3 full years!!!Oh, i almost forgot, they received a $380,000,000 bailout, er..i mean loan from Uncle Sam via the Air Transportation Stabilization Board to top it off.

Which brings us to the Kings of Corporate Welfare, US Airways. The first of 2 trips started in August of 2001, and the second one thru the Halls of Mismanagement Shame was only a YEAR LATER in September of 2002!!! Damn, is that a record in futility or what? They also received a hefty $900,000,000 lifeline, er...i mean federal bailout, i mean "loan" from said Air Transportation Stabilization Board. Thats right, the very same people who threw America West their lifesaver.

The thing i find most amusing is that Doogie is trying to convince the creditors that US Airways plan is the better one for them, but only if it can be consumated while Delta is still in bankruptcy, SO HE CAN SQUEEZE THESE VERY SAME CREDITORS OUT OF MORE CONCESSIONS WHILE IN BANKRUPTCY!!! After all, he was the one who said they would need the bankruptcy process to reject leases and rental agreements. I think "Synergy" was the word he used.

Which brings me to another point, i keep hearing the US Airways faithful say Delta can't possibly do it on their own they'll have too much debt once they leave bankruptcy. Really??? I'll take those odds, a stand-alone Delta will have around 7.5-8B in debt, a combined Delta-US Airways will have over 23B in debt!!!

As far as US Airways threatening to raise their bid, Delta has said that while at this time their exit plan doesn't include any cash up front to the creditors, its still possible. So go ahead Doogie, raise your offer another Billion or so, if Chase Bank lets you, we have the right to sweeten our offer as well.

Sorry guys, US Airways brings nothing to the table, except perhaps some Caribbean routes.

As if all that weren't enough, lets see what the analysts say,

"Vaughn Cordle, Chief Analyst at Airline Forecasts, despite praising the financial aspect of US Airways Proposal, the steadfast opposition among Delta labor groups, managers and political backers is likely to stop the deal from happening."

"The creditors are going to want to take the bird in hand" he said "I think US Airways has about a one-in-five chance of completing the deal over that much opposition."

"They'll take what's behind Grinstein's Door No. 1," agreed veteran industry consultant Mike Boyd. "They know it doesn't involve the Justice Department, congressional hearings, labor unions or disparate aircraft fleets and IT systems."

"I think US Airways has about a one-in-five chance of completing the deal over that much opposition." How much longer before Doogie folds his hand and goes back to Tempe?

I have a feeling Chase Bank just told Doogie to call those guys headquartered in Eagan Minnesota to see if they wanna dance.

Alright, go ahead USA320Pilot, tell everyone how its only begun, you too dariencc, chime in as well. And where the Hell is (due diligence is a done deal, and it favors LCC) our very own, Mr. ralphcramden!!!!

But honestly guys, do you really feel deep down inside that this things still gonna happen??? Its over, done with, no ma`s.

And if US Airways is so much better, why would you want pissy old Delta to come and ruin it? Oh, i know, you care about all the employees who will be out of a job unless we all convert now, HOW THOUGHTFUL!!!

Long Live Grinstein!!!

Delta777:

If the merger proposal is dead then why do you have so much emotion? Furthermore, why is Delta discussing US Airways' bid and trying to defeat it versus singing the praise of its Disclosure Statement and POR?

Could it be possible that the lack of candor by Delta management's be more about about what the executive compensation package will be. I wonder how much support the management will get from the rank and file when the word gets out that this is about making millions for the management team like United's management team did and not "Keeping Delta My Delta."

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

Delta777:

I offer you a deal. I will lend whatever good wishes I can to Delta not being taken over by US Airways if, and only if, you promise to come to the US Airways board regularly afterward to rub USA320Pilot's nose in his own stink.

What do you say?

analysts say,

"Vaughn Cordle, Chief Analyst at Airline Forecasts,

Yikes!!....I have a festering wound just looking at this name, and so, I would guess,does 320 (we share a common bond on this one)

1 in 5? I personally would wish it 1 in a 1000 chance of happening. But your latest rant does not change the fact that people owed moneys are going to go after the quickest cash available.

I guess the creditors can always reference your posts when telling their familys why they have not been paid.

Greeter.

Delta777:

I offer you a deal. I will lend whatever good wishes I can to Delta not being taken over by US Airways if, and only if, you promise to come to the US Airways board regularly afterward to rub USA320Pilot's nose in his own stink.

What do you say?

How could i pass up such a tantalizing offer???

1 in 5? I personally would wish it 1 in a 1000 chance of happening. But your latest rant does not change the fact that people owed moneys are going to go after the quickest cash available.

The quickest cash? Delta by far.

Delta stand-alone: You get stock. Delta emerges in May '07. You sell stock in May '07.

Parker's plan: You are promised cash (when the deal goes through). The painful process starts in the Spring of '07 with Congressional hearings meant to sway the Justice Department (as the Democrats who now chair these committees flex their muscles with the Bush DOJ). After many months, maybe (a big maybe) it goes through. In the meantime Parker is in BK court trying to 1113 the pilots contract and take even more chunks out of said creditors (canceling aircraft orders/leases, etc).

(For the "synergies", Parker needs key areas of the pilot's contract to be gutted right away, namely provisions for a code-share arrangement and deletion of block hour minimums. Absent an 1113, that isn't going to happen.)

After all of this, in about 18-24 months (best case...or never, worst case) you get your money.

If you were a creditor, which plan would you take??

Remember, he doesn't need all the creditors on board. Just a few big ones will do.

Abe

(Talk about a SURE thing)

"IF" Parker "UP's the Ante"(and I think 99% of ALL of us think he will), then "southern PRIDE" or not, the DL big boys, will "take the $$$ and run" !!!!!!!!

"Southern Pride"....My A$$ :down: :down:

NH/BB's

"Vaughn Cordle, Chief Analyst at Airline Forecasts, despite praising the financial aspect of US Airways Proposal, the steadfast opposition among Delta labor groups, managers and political backers is likely to stop the deal from happening."

Vaughn Cordle is a UAL pilot scab. He came to work in 1985 during the strike as a fleet qual. replacement pilot, oh and by the way HIS WIFE IS A DELTA F/A. Impartial he is not in this case. Funny he does not list these dirty details in his prognostications.

The quickest cash? Delta by far.

Delta stand-alone: You get stock. Delta emerges in May '07. You sell stock in May '07.

Abe

DL's plan is predicting that its airline's "Consolidated Equity Value" would be worth 9.4b to 12b. These financial projections, however, extend to 2010.

If you, as a creditor, sold your new Delta stock in May 2007 (when DL emerges) you will not get 63-80% of your claim back because the new DL stock would not be worth that much yet... it may never be worth those projections.

If everything went as DL plans, your new DL stock wouldn't be worth 63-80% of your claim until 2010.

I would take the offer involving cash (fast or otherwise.) Since I am geting an education here, could someone explain to me how the distribution of the 4B cash is done...and is it subject to the ups or downs of the airline(s) going forward? In other words, is it money in the bank? Thanks in advance, Greeter. (again, I do not support this transaction)

Once again, it depends on what your motive is as a member of the unsecured creditors committee.
Lets take a look at some of those.

The Delta pilots.
The Delta pilots have already proclaimed they will vote against the plan. US Airways proposal is in direct violation of the Delta PWA, and if the merge proceeds, US would be taking over and even greater load of labor unrest and turmoil.

Boeing Aircraft company.
There doesn't seem to be much disagreement that Boeing will be the key. There are two arguments here. It has been stated that US would negotiate a new deal for Boeing aircraft in order to help secure this deal. To date, it has not materialized.
The other argument is that Boeing already has a coveted client in DL Airlines. The DL plan calls for a continuation of an all Boeing fleet, a plan that has been in effect for years. In all likelyhood, Boeing is not in the "take the money and run" mentality that you suggest. If Boeing sees the DL plan as a viable one, it could realize better long term gains than the one time gains afforded by the US plan.

The PBGC.
Who knows what they are thinking except that the merging of the two would mean that the former DL employees would retain their pension while the US employees would not have one. There is also the possibility that US could try to formally dump the remaining plans on the PBGC. That of course would have the PBGC voting against the US plan, so Parker has indicated that the plans would remain frozen as is.

Coke.
Don't know here either. Both Delta and US serve Coke products.
There might be some assumption here that Coke would vote to retain DL as the hometown airline, seeing as Coke is based in ATL as well. ATL has suffered the loss of a few major corporate headquarters over the past year or two. Namely, The Southern Company, and Bellsouth. There may be some political pressure for Coke to vote in favor of DL's plan. Then again, there may not.

I would take the offer involving cash (fast or otherwise.) Since I am geting an education here, could someone explain to me how the distribution of the 4B cash is done...and is it subject to the ups or downs of the airline(s) going forward? In other words, is it money in the bank? Thanks in advance, Greeter. (again, I do not support this transaction)

Fair enough. What if I told you that you'll get cash quicker with Jerry's deal (sell the stock on the open market after Delta's emergence in 5 months). Probably 12-18 months quicker.

What if I also said that Parker's plan faces numerous hurdles that our beyond your control as a creditor (government scrutiny, for one). This creates a lot of risk and uncertainty, something that all people who manage money need to account for in their calculations.

Now which would you choose?

As far as the cash, my understanding (I'm sure I'll be corrected quickly if I'm wrong) is that the cash won't change hands until the deal is done. Much like a creditor (who is awarded stock in the new company) would not receive those shares until after coming out of BK. I don't think Citibank is going to pony up 4 Billion for a deal that might happen...they're gonna keep that wad of money in their pocket until it does happen!

Since Parker's plan calls for a lot of work to be done in the BK courts before this merger takes place, it could be a long time.

Lawmakers are already talking about exploratory committees and hearings on this whole airline merger thing (not just this one)....and you know how quickly (or slowly) things happen in Washington!

Abe

Fair enough. What if I told you that you'll get cash quicker with Jerry's deal (sell the stock on the open market after Delta's emergence in 5 months). Probably 12-18 months quicker.
Abe

You'll get cash quicker but not at the high value to make it worthwhile. Delta's own valuation which is not a lock goes till 2010. I doubt it will be trading super high right out of the gate.

There are no guarantees to either plan and both of them have their pros and cons.

Bottom line the creditors will vote based on their own motives and the amount of risk.

Its just like the the speech that Lawrence Garfield gives at the end of "Other People's Money".