US handles the latest wx better than anyone.

you must not have AT&T then it's terrible of course the company in their infinite wisdom gets radios on the AT&T network which work like crap.

Reactions: 1 person
They got rid of the Nextels?

I had Sprint, never had an issue with coverage, but I cant see how someone would blame the airport for a Cellular Carrier's coverage, that's ridiculous.

Even at the Union Hall everybody's coverage sucks, they had to get an AT&T Booster this past summer for most of the reps and officers have AT&T.

700UW said:

I had Sprint, never had an issue with coverage, but I cant see how someone would blame the airport for a Cellular Carrier's coverage, that's ridiculous.

Even at the Union Hall everybody's coverage sucks, they had to get an AT&T Booster this past summer for most of the reps and officers have AT&T.
yes they did last spring, I think sprint shut the Nextel network done so they had too.
I used to curse them but I'd kill to have one now.I do agree that blaming the airport for cell coverage is foolish.

1AA said:
JETBlue was their choice to shut down. Did you even read their press release on the weather related issues? Just like AA decided to ground the entire fleet of MD-80's back when they had that fiasco with the hydraulic pump harness wiring lacing. Every airline has different variables in their day to day operations. Some fly to cities that have worse weather than others, some have fleets that are not Cat III and so on. Some airports are better equipped to handle adverse weather better than others. Some airlines grounded flights to avoid a scheduling nightmare after things got better. ORD was one of the hardest hit. The airport was unable to pump any Jet fuel out to the gates. Jet ways failed to move because the hydraulics in the lines were frozen. That had to bring AA and UAL cancellations up throw the roof. Did CLT and PHX have frozen fuel or frozen jet ways? The list goes on and on. You have to look at it by station and by airline to get a real picture on who handles bad weather the best and least. The airport authority who runs each airport has the biggest impact at that particular airport.
Bingo. Let's also keep FAR 117 in mind. Hitting the "reset button" like B6 did may become the new normal in extreme weather events.

WorldTraveler said:
DL's terminal at DTW hands down remains the nicest large hub facility in the US and it also runs very well as the DOT data shows.
DTW's awesome, but even it was not immune this past week. The entire DCI operation was basically shut down at one point...

I've seen the effect of FAR 117. Plus with the weather in the North East, it was the smartest move to pre-cancel flights. With the new rules, you had more cancellations due to crew rest rules. Mostly on the regional side of things.

Bottom line, this week has been an operational nightmare.

DTW's awesome, but even it was not immune this past week. The entire DCI operation was basically shut down at one point...
weren't there fueling problems at both ATL and DTW one day? ATL got to just above zero while DTW was well below it.

The past week's cold was extraordinarily brutal... when GSE and jetways and fuel doesn't work in multiple airports for multiple airlines, this event wasn't even close to the norm. And it also highlights why looking at data that is a little closer to the norm is more useful.

People didn't make it to work including because mass transit quit running, again in multiple cities. People got hurt and sick.

117 was a problem for sure. It should have never been implemented at this time of year. Big fail by the FAA.

Also doesn't change that AA and US are one airline now. Doesn't do anything except sow discord to tout how well one side of the company is doing while another side of the company is not doing as well.

Some airlines in recent mergers did not publish statistics on the performance of each side of the company after the merger, including separated traffic reports.

Reactions: 2 people
700UW said:

Cell phone coverage is not DUI's fault, or Jerry Orr's fault.  It is just indicative of the modernity of the city, or lack thereof.    CLT is a Greyhound city with a busy airport.  But I really like the rocking chairs in the atrium.  

P.S. the main reason USAir did pretty good with the weather is that CLT had no weather.   

Reactions: 1 person
No weather?

I worked 15 years in CLT, we get weather, Thunderstorms, Ice Storms and Snow, we have had our share here, not like up north.

He is talking about the weather last week,  clt was spared from most of it except for some low ceilings, rain and some wind.  I flew through several days of the event and at most the wx in clt just slowed us down a bit.   the NE was hammered.

Phoenix is an east based pilot despite his online name judging from his many posts on the pilot threads.   I am sure he is well aware of clt weather.

I might have phrased the headline "US Airways less affected by early January weather that hammered the mid-west and the Northeast."

UA and AA were particularly hard hit with large operations in CHI and NYC.    A couple weeks earlier, the ice storm at DFW and now this storm.   

Is that chart for the US Airways system, or just the mainline? If not the system it's apples and oranges compared to jetBlue and Southwest.

I flew the 1st thru the 4th, no cancellations or delays, but doubt my experience was common.