US Revised (=screwed-up) Ticket Policy ...

PHX Flyer

Sep 23, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
www.usaviation.com
This is verbatim from the US Airways website:

Revised Ticket Policy:
US Airways has relaxed ticketing policies for these markets, which are affected by bad weather. US Airways will waive the standard change fee, advance reservation and ticketing requirements for customers with travel to/from or through these markets on the dates above. See our revised ticketing policy below for rules and restrictions. Call 800-428-4322 for more information.

If US Airways service continues to operate to the affected destinations, you can make certain changes without incurring the standard change fee, advance reservation or ticketing requirements:

You can move your entire itinerary up to seven days before or after the scheduled origination date, although you cannot alter the length of your trip.
You can apply the full value of your wholly unused tickets toward the purchase of a ticket to an alternate destination, although travel must originate within seven days of the scheduled origination date.

Since flight #17 was one of the many canceled today, I am spending this weekend in NYC instead of sunny Arizona. Since I knew I would have this weekend off, I booked a trip to PHX three weeks ago to visit family. I was able to check online this morning around 11 am without problems. An hour later, as the weather started to get worse, I checked the flight status of US 17, and shure enough, it was canceled.
They promise on their website that agents are available 24 hours a day to help with reservation changes. I have tried countless times since this morning to call and reschedule my trip. After working through three levels of the phone menu, I was never even put on hold - I just got a busy signal each and every time.

If they know that they are so-short-staffed in the call centers, why don't they unblock affected itineraries and allow customers to make the necessary changes themselves?

Now I am reviewing the tickety policies, and it just takes my breath away:
I am so glad that I am now able to fly seven days earlier. I wonder how US would manage to fly me to Phoenix last Friday. Next Friday won't work for me, because I'm on call and I have to stay in the city. Also very interesting: the option of just flying elsewhere. I am (usually) only a "leisure traveler", but nonetheless the trips I take usually serve a purpose, and I choose a particular destination for good reason. I wonder how a business traveler, who was planning to attend a meeting in New York today, would react if he/she were offered to hop on a flight to Florida instead. It seems to me this policy was written by someone, who sees the Northeast only as a destination area, because obviously we don't have much of a selection of outbound flights tonight.
What I find most disturbing is US Airways' seven-day limit in rescheduling a trip. At the very least they should give travelers credit in the full amount of the paid fare for use within a year. If they really enforce this stupid rule, they can drop at least one more customer from their list. In a worst case scenario, New York may indeed become a destination market for them ...

Latest posts