US/UA merger?

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/5/2002 7:46:16 PM KCFlyer wrote:
[P][BR][BR]AA and Delta can each have one MD11 [/P]
[P]----------------[/P]
[P]Awww come on, can't we at least keep a type thats still in the fleet?[/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/5/2002 7:46:16 PM KCFlyer wrote:

Here's your soloution - U can keep 1 767, UAL one 777. AA and Delta can each have one MD11 and Northwest can hold on to one 747. That ought to be enough to support the flying public that will be flying at what you consider "reasonable" prices. Sorry to inform you, but in a service market, the customer rules. Raise the fares, cut the fleets and you might be LUCKY to get a job fixing cars. Because customers will NOT be willing to pay a thousand bucks for a 200 mile flight. Sorry. BTW, what's unsafe about a low fare? [/P]
----------------
[/blockquote]

And your knowledge of the aircraft maintenance field comes from where?

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/6/2002 9:36:05 AM Steiner wrote:
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]And your knowledge of the aircraft maintenance field comes from where?[BR][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Well Stiener, why not post what a reasonable airfare should be between these cities:[/P]
[P]MSP-MCI. ATL-BNA DEN-DSM PIT-DFW.[/P]
[P]Then tell me how low fare translates into low safety? Most of the low fare carriers have enviable safety records, so I just wondered about that statement. [/P]

N513AU wrote:

He might have bought the company another ten years, saving it is a bit optimistic. In a few years, US Airways will be doing well - then in about ten years from now, we will be right back where we are now. That will be after Dave and company leaves for greener pastures and takes billions from us (that we gave them). It's what always happens at US Airways

DCAflyer replies:

How can you possibly predict what will happen ten years down the road. Given that if WolfGang were still in charge we would already be a closed shop and 40,000 people would be out of work, with no right to employment with any other airline, I think my categorization of saving the airline stands. What puzzles me is why you would stay working for a company when you have such a bleak outlook of its future.

N513AU wrote:

He might have bought the company another ten years, saving it is a bit optimistic. In a few years, US Airways will be doing well - then in about ten years from now, we will be right back where we are now. That will be after Dave and company leaves for greener pastures and takes billions from us (that we gave them). It's what always happens at US Airways

DCAflyer replies:

How can you possibly predict what will happen ten years down the road. Given that if WolfGang were still in charge we would already be a closed shop and 40,000 people would be out of work, with no right to employment with any other airline, I think my categorization of saving the airline stands. What puzzles me is why you would stay working for a company when you have such a bleak outlook of its future.

(N513AU)

This guy is so full of doom and gloom it's funny he can get up in the morning. But I guess that even Mr.Yuck can have his say. I am just glad the world is not full of Mr Yucks; otherwise we might as well jump off a cliff and forget about life.

cavalier

Folks-

Don't you guys suspect that the respective UA/US execs aren't thinking about operational consolidation or transaction? I mean isn't this really about attracting a larger share of high paying/high flying pax through ff programs and connectivity/frequency. (which will be accomplished with the code share deal) I'd think they'd only be wanting to take on the headache of getting different pilot groups on each other's aircraft etc, if the cost of liquidation/fragmentation were inevitable anyway, or MAYBE if the gov. would cover some of the costs. It just seems so extreme.

Maybe US/UA would consider merging the ff programs or have an increased marketing presence on each other's websites or cooperative corporate sales. I for one would like completely merged ff programs.

Isn't all this U buying this and UA buying that, just wishful thinking? Maybe it'll happen, if one falls apart. And considering the familiar faces and names involved, some may be waiting in the wings hoping to sweep up the pieces in a manner that might result in a U/UA combo. But why not some other fragmentation/consolidation/liquidation by some other group of greedy gus waiting in some other dark corner with highly developed schemes?

Or is all this talk really about something else?