Usairways To Expand To Lima, Peru ?

ITRADE said:
Why is it that every thread turns into a bashfest between 700 and 320? WHy don't you two go out and get some fresh air.

We've actually had an interesting thread running, and leave it up to one of you two to fart in church during the middle of the sermon.
[post="245692"][/post]​

Amen to that ITrade :up:

The Lima airport group's partners already run two of the world's busiest airports, Frankfurt and Singapore, while Bechtel is the world's largest engineering company.

The airport is looking to bring in more Chinese tourists this year through joint package tours with Brazil and Chile, Daly said. China, Peru's second-largest trading partner, added the Andean nation to its list of official tourist destinations in December.

Cargo

The airport also expects cargo to increase 10 percent this year from 165,000 tons in 2004. Most of the cargo is fresh produce like asparagus, artichokes and mangos, Daly said.

Daly said Peru, which received a record 1.2 million tourists last year, is also a strong market for North American visitors and Europeans via Spain. Two Spanish carriers, Air Madrid and Air Plus Comet, started non-stop flights from Madrid last year, while Air Canada began non-stop flights from Toronto in November.

The investment in Lima's Jorge Chavez Airport comes as the government prepares to tender concessions for eight state-owned airports around the country in May. The government aims to line up $165 million investment to upgrade terminals, runways and security systems.

Air Canada Reps tell me the loads are not overwhelming, but the cargo has been sold out. I could see SpanAir from MAD and even ANA coming in as the previous president Fujimori whom fled Peru amid a scandal is Japanesse. He is rumored to be coming back.

ITRADE said:
Was UA's S.Am. retreat a function of competition against AA or simply ceding routes to another Star Alliance member - Varig?
I think it was more of a retreat from AA's dominance -- specifically, giving up on AA's dominance on MIA-S.Am. routes.

As to retreating from the Caribbean, United flies to what, four islands in the Caribbean.  Not much to retreat from...
[post="245675"][/post]​
Umm, that was my point. Therefore I don't know if the comparison to what happened in S.Am. between AA and UA is also valid to the Caribbean situation you were referring to and which I don't know much about.

My but aren't you argumentative today (yet still manage to accuse others of bickering!) ...

While I don't think US/UA will make LIM a hub, I could see US flying to LIM...either FLL-LIM or CLT-LIM. LIM is actually close enough that you can even fly a 757 to start...instead of needing a widebody.

Over the years, DL has been pleasantly surprised by LIM's performance. DL started out with a 757 (182 seats), then upgraded to a 763 (256 seats) and finally last year upgraded to a 764 (287 seats).

Lima is far enough north that it could be served from PHL or CLT with a 757, FLL could also work. Cal flies a 757 from Newark to Lima. Before we write the book,
"USair is a force in Latin America", lets deal with the each airlines reality. AA does Miami and DFW, DL does Atl & Cal does IAH & EWR. If UA were to get back to Lima it would be from ORD or IAD( last time it was Miami, AA cooked that bird).

UsAir right now just started FLL to South America, a sustitute for MIA. Before it get to Lima, it needs to decide if flying to Bogota is an option or Ecuador. US fles to Panama, Costa Rica and Guatemala. Then if they ever want to fly to Brazil, Argentina or Chile they do need a 767, an 787 or an A330. But lots has to happen at US before its widebodies start getting tans at the Buenos Aires airport like the AA 777's.

700UW said:
Ok riddle me this folks.

Where is Eastern, Pan Am and Braniff now?
[post="245670"][/post]​

the IAM put them out of bussines..... MORRON

IAM :down: :down: :down:

umech said:
the IAM put them out of bussines..... MORRON
IAM :down:  :down:  :down:
[post="245745"][/post]​
If you are going to insult me at least spell it correctly.

And Pan Am was not IAM.

And a union does not put company's out of business and if you knew your airline history you would know Lorenzo caused EAL's demise, AA put Braniff out of business and Pan Am was just Pan Am, no domestic structure to support its international operation.

ITRADE said:
Kind of the same way AA had the Caribbean locked up, right?
[post="245663"][/post]​

Jetblue is retreating from SDQ as of March 3, less than a year after launching service in June 2004.

So, uh, yeah, I'd say that AA still has a fair portion of the Caribbean locked up....

LIM's status as a hub for BN has more to do with the history -- Panagra (Pan American - Grace) had its headquarters in Lima, and it served as a hub dating back to 1928, which is when they started flying. Panagra was bought by Braniff in 1966.

That is interesting news, JetBlue pulling out of SDQ....

Former ModerAAtor said:
Jetblue is retreating from SDQ as of March 3, less than a year after launching service in June 2004.

So, uh, yeah, I'd say that AA still has a fair portion of the Caribbean locked up....

LIM's status as a hub for BN has more to do with the history -- Panagra (Pan American - Grace) had its headquarters in Lima, and it served as a hub dating back to 1928, which is when they started flying. Panagra was bought by Braniff in 1966.
[post="245945"][/post]​

And now for the rest of the story:

New York, NY (February 1, 2005) -- JetBlue Airways (Nasdaq: JBLU) is adding new service to the Caribbean. Starting June 17, the low-fare carrier will add, from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, a sixth daily nonstop flight to San Juan, Puerto Rico and, on July 1, a second daily nonstop to both Aguadilla, on Puerto Rico's northwest coast, and to Nassau in The Bahamas.

700UW said:
And now for the rest of the story:

New York, NY (February 1, 2005) -- JetBlue Airways (Nasdaq: JBLU) is adding new service to the Caribbean. Starting June 17, the low-fare carrier will add, from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, a sixth daily nonstop flight to San Juan, Puerto Rico and, on July 1, a second daily nonstop to both Aguadilla, on Puerto Rico's northwest coast, and to Nassau in The Bahamas.
[post="245996"][/post]​

The point is that Jetblue still doesn't fly to anywhere that English isn't an official language. SJU/BQN may as well be suburbs of NYC, and NAS is essential an extension of Florida....

Similarly, language barriers are another reason a hub in LIM won't work for Airways -- there's an expectation that the crews will be fluent in Spanish, not just Spanglish. Unless the AFA contract allows US to start hiring foreign nationals, as Panagra, Braniff, and Eastern did, and as AA still does to a very small degree, there's no way this would work.

Umm... Airports "talk" to airlines all the time. LUV and AirTran reportedly gets "hundreds" of airports which go to their corporate offices and try to convince them to fly to their locale... They offer incentives, and bring them local goods and try to use a consulting group, like Mike Boyd's, to put together some economic analysis that says the airline and the community will win if the airline starts to fly to their airport.

There is no reason to beleive that airports don't talk to airlines other than LCC's.

Just because Lima Peru is talking, doesn't mean anything is happening.

Back