Article in PIT paper......

jetpiedmont79

Jan 18, 2006
Anyone have any thoughts on this. Looks like its a draw. Maybe yes, maybe no...

Back to headlines
Larger Text Smaller Text
Wanted: Airline to fly overseas

Tools
Print this article
E-mail this article
Subscribe to this paper
Larger / Smaller Text

By Ron DaParma
TRIBUNE-REVIEW REAL ESTATE WRITER
Sunday, April 23, 2006

Business and political leaders agree Pittsburgh needs nonstop international air service.
But even with more than 260 foreign-based companies in Western Pennsylvania, a problem has been getting an airline -- any airline -- to agree.

Area leaders have made progress in recruiting such top-flight discount air carriers as Southwest Airlines and Jet Blue to make up some of the significant loss of domestic air service in the wake US Airways' downsizing of operations at Pittsburgh International Airport.

However, its been since late in 2004 the airport last could travelers a nonstop connection across the Atlantic.

That chagrins people such as Elie Saad, vice president at Lanxess Corp., a German-owned maker of chemicals and polymers.

Saad, a frequent flyer, is among dozens of Lanxess employees who must take flights toPhiladelphia, New York, Newark, Charlotte, and even Chicago and Detroit to connect to nonstop flights overseas.

"It can cost you a whole day's worth of work," said Saad.

"It's a huge problem," said Randall Dearth, chief executive for Lanxess, a spinoff from Bayer AG, with its North American headquarters in Findlay. It is one of 70 German-owned companies in the region, who collectively employ about 9,500 people.

When Pittsburgh had direct flights to Germany, the company's employees could leave Pittsburgh in mid-afternoon for a flight to Frankfurt. Now, they must leave by 10 or 11 a.m., which is "a big inconvenience," Dearth said.

It also results in lost productivity, according to Lanxess officials. The company's employees lost about 1,300 hours of precious work during the 260 flights they made overseas in 2005.

If those employees worked in Cincinnati, they would have no such problem.

Cincinnati is a similarly-sized city. There, however, Delta Airlines operates nonstop flights to London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Paris and Rome.

There is a simple reason, said airline industry expert Robert W. Mann.

Summed up in one word, it's "hub," said Mann, head of R.W. Mann & Co. Inc., of Long Island, N.Y.

Mann notes that The Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport is Delta's second largest hub airport, a claim Pittsburgh no longer can make about US Airways.

"The difference there is it's still operating as a hub; it has substantial feed (flights from other Delta-served cities) into Cincinnati, and that's what keeps it going. It's not Cincinnati originating business that makes the difference, its the feed from surrounding cities that use Cincinnati as a connecting point," Mann said.

"What has happened at Pittsburgh is that a lot of those spokes were removed by US Airways. What remains is a lot of service, but spread among a lot of carriers. So there's no single carrier that controls Pittsburgh's feed to the extent that US Airways once did, and that's really the difference."

Delta boasts it is the fastest growing major U.S.-based carrier in international service, with 15 new routes announced, added or applied since Jan. 1, 2005. It flies to Europe, India and Israel.

By summer, it expects to be flying 51 daily departures to 29 different cities in those countries, including the five from Cincinnati. Pittsburgh is not on Delta's expansion list.

The airline does not disclose financial or occupancy data about specific flights, said spokeswoman Gina Laughlin. She said the fact that the flights from Cincinnati to Europe are expanding is an indication they are performing satisfactorily.

Pittsburgh lost nonstop flights to Europe in November 2004, when US Airways ended service to Frankfurt. It also used to have nonstop service to London and to Paris.

In March, US Airways officials said they don't believe it is financially feasible to fly from Pittsburgh International now.

Scott Kirby, executive vice president of sales and marketing for US Airways, said a Frankfurt flight would need to generate between $70 million and $80 million annually.

However, "There is just not that much revenue coming out of Pittsburgh," he added.

"If we can make it work -- fine," said Doug Parker, the airline's chief executive. "But we also have a problem with aircraft (being able to fly the route)."

German-based carrier Lufthansa has taken a similar stance, telling Pittsburgh area leaders there is not enough traffic to justify a new European flight, said Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato.

But that doesn't mean its time to give up. Onorato said recently the effort to get some type of nonstop European air service is his top economic development priority.

"We all believe we can get this done," said Onorato. He is working with the Allegheny County Airport Authority, and the Regional Air Service Partnership, a coalition of 50 area business leaders brought together by the Allegheny Conference on Community Development to spearhead efforts to help the region attract replacement air service.

The coalition talks to "three or four" air carriers regularly, according to local leaders. But there are reasons why the process can be slow, said F. Michael Langley, chief executive of the Allegheny Conference.

"Airlines don't make these decisions overnight," he said, adding that companies often take two or more years to do so. Such decisions also may be delayed by factors such as the availability of planes to fly a route, or gates open for use at international airports

Local leaders might take heart in a similar effort waged by business and community leaders in Portland and neighboring Vancouver, Wash., after Delta stopped its nonstop service to Japan.

Not only did that effort find success in 2002 when Lufthansa agreed to start nonstop service from Portland International Airport to Frankfurt, but over the next two years it also helped convince Northwest Airlines to provide a flight to Japan and Mexicana Air to start service to Mexico.

"One of the key points ... was development of what we called a travel commitment" said Steve Johnson, spokesman for the Port of Portland, one of the partners in the community coalition. "Through our partnership we were able to raise almost $11 million in advanced commitment and pledges from local corporations to support the new nonstop service," he said.

Local leaders have made similar pledges of business in hopes of convincing airlines to fly here.

"One of the key points ... was development of what we called a travel commitment" ......
Local leaders have made similar pledges of business in hopes of convincing airlines to fly here.

Pony up the $ and we'll be there I'm sure. If there is as much traffic to Germany as they say, they ought to be able to get something together for an incentive for the flight.
Can a 757 do PIT-FRA? How about a 767 a couple times a week maybe, with a $ pledge of course. ;)

When Pittsburgh had direct flights to Germany, the company's employees could leave Pittsburgh in mid-afternoon for a flight to Frankfurt. Now, they must leave by 10 or 11 a.m., which is "a big inconvenience," Dearth said.

It also results in lost productivity, according to Lanxess officials. The company's employees lost about 1,300 hours of precious work during the 260 flights they made overseas in 2005.

Pretty dramatic.....ya think? Well, starting this May USAirways will offer 2 daily nonstops to Frankfurt from Philadelphia departing at 4PM and at 8:15PM. That should give the Bayer employees the advantage of putting in a full day at work, hopping on a 45 minute flight to Philadelphia and then on to Frankfurt.....or working half day, hopping on a 45 minute flight to Philadelphia and then on to Frankfurt. If you ask me, that's still a pretty good deal! :up:

Pretty dramatic.....ya think? Well, starting this May USAirways will offer 2 daily nonstops to Frankfurt from Philadelphia departing at 4PM and at 8:15PM. That should give the Bayer employees the advantage of putting in a full day at work, hopping on a 45 minute flight to Philadelphia and then on to Frankfurt.....or working half day, hopping on a 45 minute flight to Philadelphia and then on to Frankfurt. If you ask me, that's still a pretty good deal! :up:

An international connection in Philadelphia? That's quite a laugh. USAirways flights to Philly are routinely late, and USAirways does not have as much lift out of Philly as airlines have out of other hubs. If you're going to connect international Chicago or New York are the ways to go from PIT.

GRRRRRR

The City and County leaders sound like such a bunch of whiners. It doesn't even matter that they may have a point it's the way they present it.

It's like listening to someones bratty 4 year old.
Kinda reminds me of the FF complaining about FC and their upgrades!

:lol:

GRRRRRR

The City and County leaders sound like such a bunch of whiners. It doesn't even matter that they may have a point it's the way they present it.

It's like listening to someones bratty 4 year old.

Bob:

You are correct. It's time for the juvenile jousting between US Airways and the ACAA to come to an end. US Airways could and should have flights to FRA and LGW from PIT, but they and the ACAA are still hung up on the foolish game that went on during CH11 and CH22. Business is business, and the BK proceedings were discharged. US management in the Sand Castle needs to wake up and put some International capacity back into the city where the airline started, and I am positive the flights would be profitable with B757 aircraft.

C'mon Doug. You're a much bigger man than the politicians in Allegheny County, and you need to take the lead and show them their stupidity.

An international connection in Philadelphia? That's quite a laugh. USAirways flights to Philly are routinely late, and USAirways does not have as much lift out of Philly as airlines have out of other hubs. If you're going to connect international Chicago or New York are the ways to go from PIT.

That's pretty funny....Chicago? I think you really need to catch up on USAirways destinations out of Philadelphia...a total of 16 European destinations, Latin America, Carribbean, and Mexico. Trying to connect through Chicago?..the world's busiest Airport? Philadelphia still does better than Chicago, Newark, and Atlanta as far as delays go. B)

Bob:

You are correct. It's time for the juvenile jousting between US Airways and the ACAA to come to an end. US Airways could and should have flights to FRA and LGW from PIT, but they and the ACAA are still hung up on the foolish game that went on during CH11 and CH22. Business is business, and the BK proceedings were discharged. US management in the Sand Castle needs to wake up and put some International capacity back into the city where the airline started, and I am positive the flights would be profitable with B757 aircraft.

C'mon Doug. You're a much bigger man than the politicians in Allegheny County, and you need to take the lead and show them their stupidity.

Bravo Spin Doc. Well Said.

More sour grapes from a lonely Pittsburgher. If you don't like US's 4 or 5 PIT flights, take the 7 or 8 on WN and be later yet! By the way, none of US's PIT-PHL flights were "late" today, yesterday, or the day before - when I stopped checking. Where are you getting your data? By the way, the Title of this Forum Section is "US Airways" and US does not fly internationally from Chicago or NYC.

" US management in the Sand Castle needs to wake up and put some International capacity back into the city where the airline started, and I am positive the flights would be profitable with B757 aircraft."

Not going to happen..at over $9 a head just to pass through the airport doors. Of course, the county could MAKE it work..but they won't...got to get those slots going at Station Square, and build that new Hockey Arena! Guys and gals..its over. PIT has no intention of supporting the return of a large, major hub to the region, much less any international flying. They simply do not think they need it ("they" being my neighbors as well as the local pols.) That same reason is why PIT will continue to lead the nation in population decline, as well as the exodus of it's youth. Not that I am bitter..that's just the way it is here in the heart of the rust belt. Best. Greeter.

Walmartgreeter.....I think you are right, another closed chapter in USAirways history. It's very unfortunate that
PIT was not utilized to its full potential by USAirways but I also believe what's been done has been done. With all the focus now directed to PHL and future expansions there....I don't see any of that TransAtlantic service being restored in PIT.

" US management in the Sand Castle needs to wake up and put some International capacity back into the city where the airline started, and I am positive the flights would be profitable with B757 aircraft."
Not going to happen..at over $9 a head just to pass through the airport doors.

SpinDoc replies:

$9.00 a head? So, Southwest is paying $9.00 a head for passengers, and they seem to think that's okay. Why is that crippling to US, but not WN? Surely, PHL is at least that much if not more. $9.00 is moot in the grand scale, especially with the new US cost structure.

I have said it before and I will say it many times. Show me the numbers. Prove to me that the cost/revenue structure in PHL is better than PIT. Prove to me that PHL doesn't lose a ton of money in operational/baggage problems versus PIT. I bet $9.00 per head looks pretty good for a purely connecting hub, compared to the wasted money in PHL for missed connections and baggage delivery costs for the average connecting passenger.

Who is up to the challenge of doing a cost study with PIT versus PHL? Let's see the numbers, and then we'll see who made the wrong decision.

Accoring to US and HP PHL is US' #1 revenue generating city and most profitable operation.

The freight alone on the international is a huge money maker.

Pit is gone, stop trying to live in the past.

WN knows how to make money the only airline to be profitable for the past 30 years straight.

Accoring to US and HP PHL is US' #1 revenue generating city and most profitable operation.

The freight alone on the international is a huge money maker.

Pit is gone, stop trying to live in the past.

WN knows how to make money the only airline to be profitable for the past 30 years straight.

I'm not talking about overall revenues from O&D traffic. I'm talking about a true financial investigation, comparing the cost of doing business versus the revenue generated.
Included in that investigation, there needs to be a quantified assessment of the loss of business that can be attributed to lost luggage and operational failures. Those costs can and should be quantified, because they will tell the true cost of operating at CONNECTING HUB, not an O&D/Hub. PIT by far would win. Just show me the numbers. That's all.