Vatican Study

Ms Tree

Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
John Jay study

Researchers commissioned by Roman Catholic bishops in the U.S. to analyze the pattern of clergy sex abuse have concluded that homosexuality, celibacy and an all-male priesthood did not cause the scandal.

The study by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York instead said that the problem was largely the result of poor seminary training and insufficient emotional support for men ordained in the 1940s and 1950s, who were not able to withstand the social upheaval they confronted as pastors in the 1960s. Crime and other deviant behavior increased overall in the United States during this period, when the rate of abuse by priests was climbing.

Nah, it had nothing to do with the criminal behavior of the bishops and cardinals shuffling pedophiles rapists from church to church.

BTW, is anyone concerned or curious where a non profit church comes up with $3 billion to pay for restitution?
Although the victims studied by the researchers were all minors, the authors said only a tiny percentage of accused priests less than 5 percent could be technically defined as pedophiles. The John Jay researchers define pedophile as an adult with an intense sexual attraction to prepubescent children. However, victim advocates have disputed that classification by age, since boys ages 11 to 14 were the largest group of known victims, which could include children who had not yet gone through adolescence. The American Psychiatric Association defines pedophilia as attraction to children, usually age 13 or younger.

Nice. I guess raping a 14 yr old is OK then? Gotta love the head shrinks huh?

Reactions: 1 person
We have Flown over the Cuckoo's Nest on this one

Sooo let me understand this. Only 5% of the Priests were "Technically" Pedophiles? So that means 95% of the victims were only "Technically" Molested or Raped?

Glad they got that cleared up. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

We have Flown over the Cuckoo's Nest on this one

Sooo let me understand this. Only 5% of the Priests were "Technically" Pedophiles? So that means 95% of the victims were only "Technically" Molested or Raped?

Glad they got that cleared up. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Talk about situational morality. They have a rapist problem and they are trying to justify their way out of it. Any parent who lets their kid near a catholic priest ought to have their head examined and should probably have CPS called.

Not sure if that was a shot at me but if you read my posts you will see that I have no love for any religion. I think they are all a sham. Faith is a different story. I do not have any but I have no issue with those who do so long as they do not try and force their faith into public life and my personal life.

Religions IMO are businesses and most are corrupt in one fashion or another. The Vatican just seems to have the top spot right now. They are harboring acknowledged rapists. They have been doing so for decades.

Talk about situational morality. They have a rapist problem and they are trying to justify their way out of it. Any parent who lets their kid near a catholic priest ought to have their head examined and should probably have CPS called.

Funny you should say that ! I fell the same way about my kids being around Liberal Democrats !

Really? School prayer, abortion rights, gay marriage to name a few. It's not like this is new. It's been going on for centuries.

Some are so fed up with the Government school dogma they school their children at home. Of those who school at home what percentage do you think would identify as liberal? What percentage as conservative or Libertarian. Could that percentage then be used as a guage as to who is indoctrinating whom?

I'd be willing to bet that the majority are conservatives. Those who do not want their children exposed to logic or science based ideas and those who do not want their kids to grow up to question things. And of course can't have the kids growing up thinking the gays are actually equal to everyone else and that the earth is more than 6,000 years old.

A smaller portion probably want to give their kids a better education than what the public system can provide.

What this has to do with the Vatican protecting pedophile rapists is beyond me.

You have to love an religious organization that has to teach it's employees to not rape little boys. How exactly does that work?

I'd be willing to bet that the majority are conservatives. Those who do not want their children exposed to logic or science based ideas and those who do not want their kids to grow up to question things. And of course can't have the kids growing up thinking the gays are actually equal to everyone else and that the earth is more than 6,000 years old.

A smaller portion probably want to give their kids a better education than what the public system can provide.

What this has to do with the Vatican protecting pedophile rapists is beyond me.

Still trying to tell others what to do with their kids, even tho you have none of your own?

Typical flaming liberal pfft...

Read something a while back that people are more comfortable and trusting around gays than with atheists. Wonder why?

Americans down on atheists, poll finds

* Have you hugged an atheist today?

Muslims, gays and lesbians don't win many popularity contests in America. But a recent study has discovered a group even more despised: atheists.

Americans view atheists -- those who don't believe in a higher being -- as unethical and materialistic and they don't want their children to marry one, according to University of Minnesota researchers.

They found 47.6 percent of those polled would disapprove of their child marrying an atheist. And 39.6 percent said atheists do not share their vision of American society.

But the researchers offered a caveat.

"It's not actually about atheists," said Doug Hartmann, Minnesota associate professor of sociology. "It's more about what we think about atheists.

"(The study) suggests how important religious belief and practice is to our conception of who the good American is."

The study will be published in the April issue of the American Sociological Review, a leading academic journal. It's part of a series of national polls by the American Mosaic Project on race, religion and cultural diversity in America.

The study was based on more than 2,000 phone calls to households during summer 2003, with follow-up interviews conducted in 2004. Those polled were a wide mix of ethnicities living in diverse parts of the country.

Researchers were not prepared for how poor atheists fared when compared to other groups -- Muslims, blacks, Asians and homosexuals, for example -- named in the poll.

"How much (atheists) stood out from other groups did surprise us," Hartmann said.

In general, respondents perceived atheists as either coastal cultural elitists (the wealthy, movie entertainers, writers, artists) or people on the border of society drowning in drink and drugs.

Christopher Meyers, professor of philosophy and director of the Kegley Institute of Ethics at Cal State Bakersfield, was disturbed by the findings.

"There is overwhelming evidence that one does not need a religious foundation to be concerned about ethical matters or to have compassion for others," Meyers said.

"In fact, there is overwhelming evidence that religious faith is not a necessary condition for ethical grounding," he added.

Ellen Johnson, president of American Atheists, a civil rights group in New Jersey, said nonbelievers have the same public relations problem that gays had 30 years ago.

"Viewing atheists as immoral is the old cliche, like viewing gays as promiscuous and Italians as involved in the mafia," she said.

"Essentially, people are just not familiar with atheists because we are hiding in the closet," Johnson said. "And how are we going to come out of the closet when we are thought of so badly?"

Johnson said there are about 45 million atheists in America.

A recent University of California at Berkeley poll showed that 3 percent to 4 percent of Americans asked were nonbelievers, which would be closer to 10.4 million.

One Bakersfield atheist willing to peek out from the closet is Alice Cook.

Cook finds wisdom in the teachings of Christianity, Buddhism and Judaism, but she does not believe in a higher supernatural power.

Cook recoiled when told that many people polled in the American Mosaic study said atheists are self-centered.

"I think we just have to be out there and not be afraid to talk about our beliefs," Cook said.

Putting in a good word for atheists was the Rev. Mark Harrison of Free Will Baptist Church in Bakersfield.

"Just because they are atheist doesn't mean they are a bad person," Harrison said. "And even if a person is atheist, it doesn't exempt him from God's love. I have met atheists who are good, moral people."

Muslims fared only slightly better than atheists in the sampling. More than 33 percent of people polled said they would disapprove of their child marrying a Muslim. :ph34r:

About a quarter said Muslims do not share "their vision of American society."

"This negative response shows the ignorance of many American people regarding Islam," said Imam Sayed Rashed, spokesman for the local Muslim community.

"If American people knew the faith of the Muslim people and how much we believe in Jesus and accept Christianity," Rashed said, "they would change their minds."

People in downtown Bakersfield Friday had little sympathy for atheists. Eating lunch at the city bus stop was Ellis Gupton.

"They can be good, but they are self-righteous," Gupton, 58, said of atheists.

"They want the credit for the good they do. They don't want it to be known that the God inside of them brought it forth."

At St. Mary's Catholic Supply on Chester Avenue, owner Jim Mena heaped scorn on atheists.

"If they are atheists they are probably relativists, so they would have no grounding in (Christian) ethics," Mena, 50, said. "What they do is based on feeling, and that varies for each atheist.

"You could say homosexuals have some ethical foundation," Mena said, "but an atheist devises his own moral foundation."

Handing out brochures about her faith on Chester was Maria Maldonado, a member of Jehovah's Witnesses.

"Sometimes there are good people who keep the golden rule but don't believe in the true God," Maldonado, 66, said.

"But when they suffer, you want them to know there is a God who will help them."

------

PHONE POLL

The American Mosaic Project is a three-year study by researchers at the University of Minnesota that measures race, religion and cultural diversity.

Two thousand people were polled by phone in summer 2003 for the first study of the series. Below are two results from the study.

• I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group:

1. Atheists, 47.6 percent

2. Muslims, 33.5 percent

3. African-Americans, 27.2 percent

• This group does not agree with my vision of society:

1. Atheists, 39. 6 percent

2. Muslims, 26.3 percent

3. Homosexuals, 23.6 percent