Virgin Usa Airline Startup Eyes San Fran, Ny

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Get your resumes ready...

Virgin USA airline startup eyes San Fran, NY

http://www.forbes.com/newswire/2004/05/24/rtr1382111.html

NEW YORK, May 24 (Reuters) - British entrepreneur Richard Branson said on Monday the Virgin USA start-up airline, which is tentatively set to launch sometime next year, has narrowed its choices for a home city to San Francisco or New York.

Speaking at an entrepreneurs' summit, Branson said the carrier, which does not yet have a name, route structure or airplanes, was considering buying aircraft from Boeing (nyse: BA - news - people) or Airbus.

"I can't at this stage confirm whether it's going to be Airbus or Boeing ... I think the airline is going to need about 50 planes," he said

Copyright 2004, Reuters News Service

Air conditioned said:
Too bad they are both such expensive places to live.
It's only expensive to live in if you don't know what you are doing. If you don't know how to live within your means, or are a latent spendthrift, you will get buried quick. I can personally attest since I once lived in NYC on a salary of only $22k a year. Tough, yeah but it was do-able. I for one have got the old resume sharpened and ready to go if Sir Branson makes the announcement soon. SF or NYC, I can hack it. Can you? :up:

i think is great ...i'm hoping for NY as a main hub and SFO as a mini hub to cover the short houl in the west coast..... yes guys get ur resumes ready..to work for the most renoved,friendy and sparkling airline in the USA....soon to be !!!! :up:

Also, get ready to work way too many hours for a crappy paying job which you'll be fired from in 5 years to keep their costs down. As far as flight attendants go, I don't believe that he allows them to be over 30 years old. How is he going to pull that off in this country?

trolly dolly said:
i think is great ...i'm hoping for NY as a main hub and SFO as a mini hub to cover the short houl in the west coast..... yes guys get ur resumes ready..to work for the most renoved,friendy and sparkling airline in the USA....soon to be !!!! :up:
Maybe I'm interpreting this all wrong, but it is my impression that NY and SF are the candidates for headquarters...not necessarily the hub(s). It's possible that hubs/hdq may be in different cities.

Ch. 12 said:
Maybe I'm interpreting this all wrong, but it is my impression that NY and SF are the candidates for headquarters...not necessarily the hub(s). It's possible that hubs/hdq may be in different cities.
Branson is European and they are always fascinated with NY and SF.

In addition he is still waiting fro LAX to get their act together. He needs LAX to get the A380 to the West Coast.

I have to believe that whichever city is picked, will see an increase in flying from London, probably with the A380, to feed the VirginUSA. My guess is going to be be NY, but you never know with those crazy Brits.

coolflyingfool said:
I have to believe that whichever city is picked, will see an increase in flying from London, probably with the A380, to feed the VirginUSA. My guess is going to be be NY, but you never know with those crazy Brits.
I'm going to sound like a broken record here but again...Both of the other Virgin's (Blue/Express) are independent and not linked to VA so why do we keep assuming that Virgin USA will be different? Looking at how Branson has operated the other two, I don't think Virgin USA will be heavily dependant on the Virgin Atlantic feed and vice versa. They will operate independently.

CH. 12 - I understand that they operate independently of each other, I am just saying that there will probably be more seats on VA in to which ever city is picked. this will allow people to book Virgin A and then connect to V USA, but on 2 seperate tickets. Virgin will ahve to make sure they avoid any violations of the Cabotage laws in the US. Just my thoughts.....

BOTH OF U ARE RIGHT... WILL RUN INDEPENDENTLY..BUT AT THE SAME TIME WILL LINK TOGETHER..WITH EUROPEAN INCOMING FLIGHTS TO THE AMERICAN HEARTLAND WITH VUSA...... BTW I HEARD VIRGIN USA WILL BE AN USA FLAG CARRIER WITH A EUROPEAN FLAVOR KINDA AIRLINE.. WILL GO ALOT WITH VIRGIN ATLANTIC STYLE OF SERVICE...NO BAD AT ALL!!!!!...LETS SEE THE OUTCOME... :up: ..I'M SURE U ALL WANT TO SEE IT TOO... HAVE A NICE DAY GUYS :p