Wake Up Delta

skyflyr69

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Mission impossible: Here's the real reason the Big Six are dying
I greatly respect Joe Brancatelli, my fellow USATODAY.com Travel columnist. He's a brilliant writer, and right about most things. But we consistently disagree on one point: the real reason the Big Six airlines are failing.
Joe claims that the major carriers are dying because their fares are too high, fare structures are too complex, customer service is poor, management is inept and top executives have been fiscally irresponsible by taking too much compensation.

I'm a former airline executive, and I agree with Joe that the Big Six are dying — at least as they exist today. And I agree that many of the factors he cites are contributing to their demise. But I believe that even if all those issues could be solved, it would not save the big airlines.

The Big Six – American, Continental, Delta, Northwest, United, US Airways — were doomed by deregulation a quarter-century ago. Their cost structures are based on long histories, and deregulation opened the door to a new crop of airlines such as Southwest and JetBlue that were not saddled with the same burdens. The upstarts could charge lower fares and still make money. Deregulation created an uneven playing field that has forced the Big Six to deteriorate over time.

In fact, the Big Six used to be the Big 12, but names like Pan American, TWA, Eastern, Braniff, Republic and Western have vanished in bankruptcies or mergers since deregulation.

The survivors have cut wages, eliminated unprofitable routes, squeezed more seats into airplanes, laid off employees, cut back in-flight services and amenities, and devised complicated fare structures to extract every last penny out of the traveling public. And then when all that didn't work, they begged the U.S. government for handouts to help them survive.

But it hasn't been enough — and it never will be. For one, the Big Six have labor contracts that keep their costs higher than airlines that entered the market after deregulation. These newcomers can pay rock-bottom wages and set up work rules that favor the airline.

These airlines are called the Big Six because they provide comprehensive service across global networks. That means flying a wide variety of routes, some of them unprofitable, and employing several different types of aircraft to do it. Low-cost airlines, for their part, typically fly only on carefully selected, profitable routes. They operate a single type of aircraft to minimize training and maintenance costs.

The Big Six have started launching low-fare subsidiaries: Delta's Song, United's Ted. But for the Big Six to emulate the models of their low-cost competitors, they would have to change so much they would be unrecognizable. They would no longer be the Big Six.

I agree with Joe that there have been some egregious travesties in executive compensation, and other wasteful acts by managers of Big Six airlines at one time or another. This certainly has not helped their images or financial situations.

But even if Big Six management had been completely saintly over the years, the outcome would still be the same. The big airlines cannot survive in a two-tiered cost structure.

When a company is profitable, it's easy to spread the cheer, the way Southwest does. But when a company suffers continual losses, problems flow. As the Big Six began to cut service, customers became angry. As low-cost carriers began to offer $200 airfares, the public became enraged that prices had been so high for so long. And as the Big Six tried to make up for lost revenue, they alienated business travelers and fliers on noncompetitive routes by sticking them with high fares.

But unlike Joe, I can't really blame the Big Six for cutting service and manipulating airfares to charge whatever the market would bear. They had no alternative, if they wanted to try to stay in business. I'm not condoning their practices; I'm just saying that what they did was totally rational.

Only it hasn't worked. As the economy slowed and the crisis deepened, Big Six airlines alienated not only travelers but also their own employees, laying off thousands who had faithfully devoted their lives to those airlines for countless years. Many who still had jobs became bitter, and sometimes took it out on customers, making matters worse. Only one Big Six airline – Continental – made Fortune magazine's list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For this year, and it shed more than 1,000 jobs.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not defending the tactics of the Big Six, nor am I bemoaning deregulation. Deregulation of the airline industry has been a great boon to consumers, who have reaped the benefits of low airfares. The expansion of low-cost carriers throughout the world has increased the demand for air travel and made it accessible to many people who could not otherwise afford to fly.

Nor am I bashing the unions or employees of the Big Six carriers. These people want the same things as every other American – a decent job with decent wages and some job security. But we must recognize that deregulation created a situation where the old carriers and the new carriers could not peacefully coexist. And the result was an industrial earthquake that has shaken airfares, service and thousands of jobs.

Joe Brancatelli is correct that the Big Six are a dying breed. Some of the companies may survive, but not with their existing business models. And when they are gone, fares will be lower and probably less complex, amenities offered in the air will be commensurate with the price paid for travel, and many new jobs will exist at the low-cost carriers for airline employees who are willing to work for less. As a result, the public will arguably be better off – with the painful exception of the airline employees whose jobs were eliminated.

But change won't necessarily bring stability. We've already seen newer airlines, such as JetBlue, coming into the market with cost structures that are even lower than the original low-cost carriers, such as Southwest. More are undoubtedly waiting in the wings. We'll have to wait as well – to see if history repeats itself.

Read previous columns

Send David your feedback: David Grossman is a veteran business traveler and former airline industry executive. He writes a column every three weeks on topics of interest and concern to business travelers. E-mail him at [email protected].

perhaps Delta should get there own house in order instead of attacking other airlines!

:angry:

Not sure how you good folks here on this DL board will take to my(AAer) views of the future of the("Big Six") industry, "but here goes' ...........

1. Sadly, (I've got family working there, but), US will soon be "Toast"

2. NW(ya gotta' love em') are, as usual, safe, in their own "quirky little world", with virtually NO competition. ( that NTR hub is AWESOME !!)

3. UA, in a perverse way, is "safely" sitting in in BK.

Which brings us to AA, CO, and DL.

One of these 3, I predict, is going to do something "Scary" !!!!

"What", and "Who", I do not know. It's just a "feeling(s)" I have "in my bones"

Time will tell !!!!!!!

NH/BB's
AA

:blink: The only alternative that would make sense is a CO/DL merger. Maybe even a CO/DL/NW merger. You are right though, something will happen in the future one way or another.

Only one Big Six airline – Continental – made Fortune magazine's list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For this year, and it shed more than 1,000 jobs.

You have to be a member to Forbes.com in order to access the full list but form what I saw in the press release no other passenger airlines made this list, including the LCC's. CAL not only made the list with shedding the jobs but also has made very few of the service adjustments and has had zero pay cuts that MR.. Grossman lists of the "Big Six".

These newcomers can pay rock-bottom wages and set up work rules that favor the airline.

Funny how people like this can be for low wages and benefits. I had a friend that got hired by SWA as a F/A and was to be based in ORD starting at 18,000 a year. Sure it is great on paper for the bean counter that a LCC can have rock bottom wages and bad work rules but at what cost? Putting their front line employees in a position of poverty just to work for them? People with money are usually the first ones to scream foul when it comes to work rules and wages, they already have their pot. They want us to believe that "working for them" is a privilege and that you should be happy with a quality of life well below the poverty level to do so.

Nor am I bashing the unions or employees of the Big Six carriers. These people want the same things as every other American – a decent job with decent wages and some job security

Union's at airlines are a necessary evil to ensure that the employees are not only treated decently but also compensated as such. In contrast to the 9-5 jobs and thanks to the Railroad Labor Act some groups at airlines do not get a lunch break, can be stuck working long hours, have to work odd shifts, etc. Unions help combat the rules of the RLA and allow its members to enjoy some form of quality of life. Lets see how JBU does in five more years. Will the then ten year employees (if their contracts are renewed) be satisfied making "rock bottom wages" while the airline and management flourish. Unions are not allowed at JBU (as so I have been told) so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

2. NW(ya gotta' love em') are, as usual, safe, in their own "quirky little world", with virtually NO competition. ( that NTR hub is AWESOME !!)

Don't forget that NWA has an aging fleet with something like 97 DC-9's, 32 DC-10's and 18 747-200's (not real sure how current those numbers are).

Still the best non-rev ride around, always plenty of seats! :up:

Skycruiser--

The DC-10s are on their way out (the -40s are already gone), and believe it or not the DC-9s have the best dispatch reliability in the fleet. I don't know where you're flying in/out of (CLE?), but it most not be from the west coast, or any sunshine state! :lol:

Kev3188 said:
Skycruiser--

The DC-10s are on their way out (the -40s are already gone), and believe it or not the DC-9s have the best dispatch reliability in the fleet. I don't know where you're flying in/out of (CLE?), but it most not be from the west coast, or any sunshine state! :lol:

Thanks for the correction, most places on the net know required paid subscriptions so it is hard to get valid info anymore :down:

There are a few flights left but most of it is now Express Jet.

This writer is not GOD and he really does not know what will happen in the future but he has the right to write about his feelings about the industry but just because he was a former CEO of an airline DOES NOT MAKE HIM COMPLETELY CREDIABLE.

I feel that one or two may die but the others will still be around but with lower costs to stay competitive with the LCCs. Don't forget there will alway be travellers who want to go to Europe, Asia and Latin America and these areas are covered well with the big six and lets not forget first class and an airline club that the LCCs don't have in their business models will also have some demad although less than in previous years. Therefore I strongly disagree with this gentleman's report about them dying some of the majors especially AA and UA are doing well at their current and continous restructuring and if all things go well and their is no attacks I believe that these 2 will survive in some form.

Andre

Tim47SIP said:
:blink: The only alternative that would make sense is a CO/DL merger. Maybe even a CO/DL/NW merger. You are right though, something will happen in the future one way or another.
Tim,
I think Northwest has a legal right to veto any merger of Continental (I distinctly remember that from somewhere) and would certainly do so to prevent a powerful CO-Delta combination. Also, a merger of CO, NW, and Delta would more than likely be blocked due to anti-trust considerations.

The goverment made it clear a few years back when they said NO to UA/US merger. Therefore, to think that they would allow DL/CO or CO/NW is just not going to happen. The alliance avenue is much more positive, as the partners share revenue opportunities that would not be realized if it were not for alliances.
And they do not need to deal with the tremendous issues of intergrating 2 different workforces with organized labor contracts.

respectfully 46driver.....NW no longer has veto power regarding CO. CO bought back all shares that NW originally had...thus taking back any veto power.

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
Not sure how you good folks here on this DL board will take to my(AAer) views of the future of the("Big Six") industry, "but here goes' ...........

----snipped----
Which brings us to AA, CO, and DL.

One of these 3, I predict, is going to do something "Scary" !!!!
Here is what my best guess is for DL. Mergers probably will not happen in the near term. The codeshare gives us all the benefit of a large route structure without the headaches of governmental compliance and the merging different employee groups.

IMHO, the scary thing at DL will revolve around the pilot contract. Our pilot costs are still above the costs of the legacy carriers and the LCC's. Over the long term, this is unsustainable. The company and ALPA are still far apart on concessions.

I see that Management will either threaten bankruptcy or actually wash the company in bankruptcy to get pilot costs down.

To sum it up, I think that a quick bankruptcy to get to a section 1113 hearing is my prediction for "scary."

aislehopper said:
To sum it up, I think that a quick bankruptcy to get to a section 1113 hearing is my prediction for "scary."
If DL files BK to get the pilots costs down, it would piss a lot of people off including the employees.

This would be DL's biggest mistake ever!

LiveInAHotel said:
If DL files BK to get the pilots costs down, it would piss a lot of people off including the employees.

This would be DL's biggest mistake ever!
Hotel,
Your right(about pissed off employees), WE'RE LIVING PROOF !!

However,
I also agree with aislehopper, that , unlike "somethings gotta' give", it will be "somethings GONNA' GIVE", meaning "SCARY".

Again, looking at the "BIG SIX", the "action" is going to happen at either AA,CO, or DL.(for reasons outlined in my earlier post), NOT US,UA, or NW.

NH/BB's

IMO, I doubt a merger of any kind will take place in the near term. While some of you think government will stop any attempt on competition grounds I think labor will stop any merger that doesn't protect all jobs. Take any two of the Big Six carriers and merge them. There will be a hub or a fleet of some kind that has to be cut. Employees currently on furlough will demand to come back ahead of junior employees of the other airline, etc....

Latest posts