Wal-Mart Teams Up With USAir to help Pax Thru Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
From MSNBC:

Md. forces Wal-Mart to spend more on health
Legislature overrides veto; unions seek similar laws in 30 more states

Updated: 10:43 a.m. ET Jan 13, 2006
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Maryland legislators voted Thursday to enact a first-in-the-nation requirement that Wal-Mart Stores Inc. spend more on employee health care. The measure, touted as a money-saver for the state-supported Medicaid program, takes effect despite the governor’s veto of the bill.

Labor unions have said they are seeking similar legislation this year in at least 30 other states. Supporters say the retailing giant unfairly takes advantage of taxpayer-funded health care plans because some workers can’t afford Wal-Mart’s health insurance.

“The taxpayers are giving a health-care subsidy to the largest retailer on earth,†argued Democratic Delegate Kumar Barve. The House and Senate, both controlled by Democrats, both notched the three-fifths margins needed to override a veto last May by Republican Gov. Robert Ehrlich.

The bill requires companies with more than 10,000 Maryland employees to spend at least 8 percent of their payroll on employee health care or pay the difference into the state’s Medicaid fund. Of the state’s large employers, only Wal-Mart spends less than 8 percent on health care.

The company employs about 17,000 Marylanders at more than 40 Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club stores, and about 1.3 million people nationwide.

Claims of ‘a slippery slope’
Critics of the legislation called it a dangerous precedent that ultimately would cost Maryland jobs.

A Wal-Mart executive called the bill a poorly worded mandate for a single company. Wal-Mart spokeswoman Mia Masten said Thursday that the bill “could be the beginning of a slippery slope.â€

“We believe everyone should have access to affordable health insurance, although this legislation does nothing to accomplish that,†said Masten, who said the retailer may partially pull out of Maryland because of the bill.

She said Wal-Mart was unfairly singled out because of “partisan politics†and that Medicaid’s problems go beyond the behavior of one company.

The veto override had been one of the session’s most intensely lobbied, with business groups taking out print ads supporting a veto and labor groups rallying and taking out their own ads siding with supporters.

Not unlike underpaid RJ pilots like the one who posted yesterday that he's paid a mere $350/week to fly a $33 million jet.

Now don't be hypocritical, You preach "Free Market" in one paragraph defending Wal-Mart and in the next claim an RJ pilot is underpaid. You either believe in the Free Market or you don't. RJ pilots are free to do the same as Wal-Mart employees and re-train re-educate themselves for better opportunities. You can't have it both ways. Unfortunately the "Market" has spoken on RJ pilot wages

Piney - if you re-read the post you'll see that there's no hypocrisy in my views; it's not my opinion that the RJ pilot is underpaid - I'm relating the opinion of the RJ pilot.

The free market has indeed spoken on both Wal-Mart employee wages and RJ pilots. Neither generally make enough to comfortably support a family. And if Wal-Mart workers or RJ pilots (or the "Wal-Mart is the anti-christ" unions) don't like that, then the those who feel underpaid should go get more education to do something that pays better. B)

Piney - if you re-read the post you'll see that there's no hypocrisy in my views; it's not my opinion that the RJ pilot is underpaid - I'm relating the opinion of the RJ pilot.

The free market has indeed spoken on both Wal-Mart employee wages and RJ pilots. Neither generally make enough to comfortably support a family. And if Wal-Mart workers or RJ pilots (or the "Wal-Mart is the anti-christ" unions) don't like that, then the those who feel underpaid should go get more education to do something that pays better. B)

I am not a fan of walmart and i will go there only if that is the only place beside our hotel to get some grub.

But here is something interesting i read in a book about walmart....

If Walmart was to give up all of its profits to each employee equally it would add up to about $6000/employee.
If microsoft gave up is profits and divided equally to its employees they would each get over $230,000.
I have no idea what each employee at US Air would get but most likely about $400.

I am not a fan of walmart and i will go there only if that is the only place beside our hotel to get some grub.

But here is something interesting i read in a book about walmart....

If Walmart was to give up all of its profits to each employee equally it would add up to about $6000/employee.
If microsoft gave up is profits and divided equally to its employees they would each get over $230,000.
I have no idea what each employee at US Air would get but most likely about $400.

I'm not a huge fan of Wal-Mart either. Those Microsoft employees produce a lot of profit each. I've never met a poor Microsoft employee.

Maybe the "Wal-Mart is the antichrist" unions should also try to get laws passed that would require Microsoft to hire another million or two employees - after all, they got the money to do so. :p

And if any companies qualify as the "anti-christ," then USAir and UAL would lead my list. Why? Repeated destruction of shareholder value combined with repeated concession demands of all employees combined with the cancellation of accrued pension benefits of pilots and others. NW and DL are well on the way to joining them.

When Wal-Mart commits similar sins, somebody lemme know. B)

I've got friends who work for Wal-Mart (not in Arkansas) who have over $1 million in Wal-Mart stock. They were smart and bought early and regularly. They still work for Wal-Mart par-time to fill some of their idle time - not because they have to.

Anybody working at US not in the Executive Suite with over $1 million of LCC stock in their portfolio? I doubt it.
I would imagine that you are referring to a very select few. The Wal Mart of then, and now are very different. Sam Didn't buy every friggen item that he could get his hands on from overseas for starters. Go find me anyone who has been hired by Wal-Mart in the last 10 years that is sitting on a cool million in stock. ;)

Since when is an entry level job supposed to put you in the middle class bracket?
Never said that it was supposed to be. Maybe my figure was based on someone that had been there for a while already. Without you trying to be a SmartAzz with your comment, how many people do you know period who are even close to being Middle Class that work there? I don't know where you are located, but in my area the Wally-World Workers are running a close tie with the Mc'Dee's gang. The only people working at either of these places, are the ones nobody else will hire. Take a good hard look around the next time that you visit this top-notch employer. ;)

I would imagine that you are referring to a very select few. The Wal Mart of then, and now are very different. Sam Didn't buy every friggen item that he could get his hands on from overseas for starters. Go find me anyone who has been hired by Wal-Mart in the last 10 years that is sitting on a cool million in stock. ;)

You're right - my friends have worked there more like 25-30 years, not a mere 10 years. Those hired in the past 10 years may or may not ever become wealthy simply by buying their employer's stock, but if they do, it will likely take another decade or two.

One thing's for sure - Wal-Mart is unlikely to ever approach its employees and demand to slash their wages and take away their retirement, as USAir did. Oh, that and make their stock worthless by declaring bankruptcy multiple times. :shock:

Wonder which employee group is happier?

Although it's not easy to decipher what you're trying to say (did you mean to use the word "or" or did you mean to use the word "are" in your 14 word post?

Why would you think they meant either?

With a state slogan of: "Thank god for Mississippi" Arkansas ranks a solid 49 on the US intellectual roadmap and just slightly below Paraguay, worldwide.

They also pioneered the employee training session where they advise their employees to file for welfare as well as other federal hand-out programs, necessary for anyone working for Wal-Mart yet wanting to live.

I, personally, wear a pro-union t-shirt visiting a Wal-mart. Never have made it to the check-out machines, after filling a cart with merchandise, I leave it in an inconvenient location, in essence, creating new jobs.

Bastards.

And if any companies qualify as the "anti-christ," then USAir and UAL would lead my list.

uhhhh....no..too easy!! :lol:

One thing's for sure - Wal-Mart is unlikely to ever approach its employees and demand to slash their wages and take away their retirement, as USAir did. Oh, that and make their stock worthless by declaring bankruptcy multiple times. :shock:

Wonder which employee group is happier?

Ouch!! Where's my pit cargo tape when I need it?
:lol: :p

I suppose I shouldn't have expected this group to respect my request to leave the Wal-Mart bashing to one of the many union-sponsered webpages dedicated to doing so.

I posted the article in the beginning of this thread as a US Airways furloughed pilot, proud of both the company that let me go -- and the one who gave me a home.

Rather than taking it for what it was, you chose to insult my company, it's employees, and even the state where I make my home. I'm dissapointed.

As one of a half-dozen airline furloughees working in my department I can honestly say that we are compensated fairly, have an enviable schedule, and a management team that cares about us and goes above-and-beyond to show us. That's enough for my family and I.

I respectfully request that the moderator lock and/or delete this thread as it is no longer on topic.

Respectfully,
Mike in Bentonville -- A proud Wal-Mart Associate
Furloughed B737 :down:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back