We're Doing Something Wrong

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
My blurb: This is a good article on the perception that General Aviation receive from the general public. 2005 was a tragic year for so many people, but it was a year that showed the goodwill of the General Aviation family. From the massive effort of those whom helped in the hurricane Katrina and Rita aftermaths to those that on a day-to-day basis make the difference in somebody's life. General Aviation was there.

I would ask that people not familiar with General Aviation go to this site and have a look around. It may help alleviate some of the fears or concerns with “those small airplanes with one engineâ€.

Article:I don’t often find myself in three-abreast seating on an airliner, but on a recent trip to Las Vegas, Nevada, it was unavoidable. So there I was in a window seat with a white-knuckled woman seated next to me and her macho husband on the aisle.

As the airplane accelerated for takeoff, the wife clutched her husband’s hand in abject fear. I could tell this wasn’t going to be a fun flight. Normally I wouldn’t have said anything, but I felt the need to try to soothe her mounting terror. "In a minute," I said, "you’ll hear a noise as the gear are tucked away. It’s perfectly normal."

She relaxed a bit after we leveled off and perused shopping opportunities in the in-flight magazine. But then, when the pilot announced we were beginning our descent for landing, her husband leaned toward me and said, "It’s true, isn’t it, that the landing is the most dangerous part of a flight?" He was completely oblivious of the effect his question had on his quaking wife.

Flying Magazine Article

SecureAV (AMCC) Aviators Model Code of Conduct

My Question(s): Does GA need a Code of Conduct? Most of what is written in the Code of Conduct seems to be common sense or just good practice/manners. The military issued a card with Values and Soldier's Code on it. It was to be on every soldier and produced upon request. I even quizzed my troops on the 5 Codes and 7 Values during inspections. I am not saying that GA should ever go to those lengths, but is the idea of an Aviators Code of Conduct needed in this day and age?

As and end note to all of this I would like to submit two organizations for those in General Aviation to look at, and hopefully get involved in.

Air Care Alliance

Lifeline Pilots