We''re from the FAA and we''re here to help

G4G5

Advanced
Aug 21, 2002
[A href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=509&ncid=509&e=13&u=/ap/20021204/ap_on_bi_ge/united_fine_1]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=509&ncid=509&e=13&u=/ap/20021204/ap_on_bi_ge/united_fine_1[/A]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/4/2002 3:46:43 PM Segue wrote:

Yea, right. Just a small hole, put some duct tape on it, and send it on its way!
----------------
[/blockquote]
For those of you with no knowledge of aircraft maintenance. Using approved types of tape to temporarily repair composite materials is approved. I do not know what went wrong here nor do I care to speculate.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/4/2002 3:46:43 PM Segue wrote:

Yea, right. Just a small hole, put some duct tape on it, and send it on its way!
----------------
[/blockquote]
For those of you with no knowledge of aircraft maintenance. Using approved types of tape to temporarily repair composite materials is approved. I do not know what went wrong here nor do I care to speculate.

Sounds like they might be making a Mountain out a mole hill. There are many places where speed tape is an acceptable temporary repair. If we refused to use it, we could be accused of having a job action.

Sounds like they might be making a Mountain out a mole hill. There are many places where speed tape is an acceptable temporary repair. If we refused to use it, we could be accused of having a job action.

They are definitely making a mountain out of a mole hill. The problem is perception. I just watched on TV the "experts" tell how an airline with no money might have to skimp on things like safety. The timing is terrible.

They are definitely making a mountain out of a mole hill. The problem is perception. I just watched on TV the "experts" tell how an airline with no money might have to skimp on things like safety. The timing is terrible.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/4/2002 6:45:06 PM Bob Owens wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

From what I've heard, the problem isn't in the use of tape as a repair, but rather that the aircraft were kept in service for nearly one month with this "temporary repair". The violation occurred in not repairing the aircraft properly within a reasonable duration (as in 2-4 days).

The press is certainly blowing this incident out of proportion, as imho, the tape falling off would not have done more than maybe decrease fuel efficiency. Of course, the purpose of the fines are to provide an strong incentive not to violate any safety-related rules. The idea is that if they give UA a good lashing over this, it'll help keep them from committing a serious violation...

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/4/2002 6:45:06 PM Bob Owens wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

From what I've heard, the problem isn't in the use of tape as a repair, but rather that the aircraft were kept in service for nearly one month with this "temporary repair". The violation occurred in not repairing the aircraft properly within a reasonable duration (as in 2-4 days).

The press is certainly blowing this incident out of proportion, as imho, the tape falling off would not have done more than maybe decrease fuel efficiency. Of course, the purpose of the fines are to provide an strong incentive not to violate any safety-related rules. The idea is that if they give UA a good lashing over this, it'll help keep them from committing a serious violation...

The repairs were supposed to be done by the FAA approved manual.Maybe
they werent I dont know.Your post wasnt about whether the repair was done
correctly or not but that "we just put duct tape on it". It was a metal tape
and is approved for outside use in the airstream on aircraft surfaces.
You must observe rules specified for its use.
Have a mechanics license or not ? Probably not.

The repairs were supposed to be done by the FAA approved manual.Maybe
they werent I dont know.Your post wasnt about whether the repair was done
correctly or not but that "we just put duct tape on it". It was a metal tape
and is approved for outside use in the airstream on aircraft surfaces.
You must observe rules specified for its use.
Have a mechanics license or not ? Probably not.