What the experts are saying

Kirby must have been a swing and a miss then

More like a strikeout IMO. From observation here and anecdotal evidence from a few people I know who suffer through doing business with him, he is one cocky arrogant SOB. No one is perfect so I'll give Doug a pass on Kirby since he did have the good common sense to keep Andrew Nocella. I've met Andrew and he is one of the sharpest knives in the drawer if not the sharpest. Nocella cancels out the Kirby blunder.

It also says a bit about Doug that he essentially relieved Kirby of many of his duties when he brought in Isom.

More like a strikeout IMO. From observation here and anecdotal evidence from a few people I know who suffer through doing business with him, he is one cocky arrogant SOB. No one is perfect so I'll give Doug a pass on Kirby since he did have the good common sense to keep Andrew Nocella. I've met Andrew and he is one of the sharpest knives in the drawer if not the sharpest. Nocella cancels out the Kirby blunder.

It also says a bit about Doug that he essentially relieved Kirby of many of his duties when he brought in Isom.
Kirby wasn't relieved of his duties. Isom reports to Kirby so he still has operations just as he did when he became President. That being said I don't think US Airways would have survived if Isom didn't come in when he did and take full control of the operations side of the business. When Isom and Nocella succeed then Kirby succeeds because they report to him. Now my guess is that Isom runs his operation his way with very little oversight from Kirby as any highly accomplished and qualified EVP should, but that doesn't mean Ops doesn't report to the President of the company on the org chart.

Kirby wasn't relieved of his duties. Isom reports to Kirby so he still has operations just as he did when he became President. That being said I don't think US Airways would have survived if Isom didn't come in when he did and take full control of the operations side of the business. When Isom and Nocella succeed then Kirby succeeds because they report to him. Now my guess is that Isom runs his operation his way with very little oversight from Kirby as any highly accomplished and qualified EVP should, but that doesn't mean Ops doesn't report to the President of the company on the org chart.

I thought Isom was COO, a title that should make him equal to Kirby and not a report. No matter as IMO Kirby is as useless as breasts on bovine. The anecdotal evidence of his character and and arrogance are well known. There is no oversight of Isom from Kirby because Kirby has already demonstrated he can't organize a one car funeral.

In ANY major Corporation there is someone who everyone looks at each other and says "How the hell did he get that job?" Well with US it's Scott Kirby. Andrew is smarter asleep then Kirby is when he's awake..

Reactions: 1 person
I thought Isom was COO, a title that should make him equal to Kirby and not a report. No matter as IMO Kirby is as useless as breasts on bovine. The anecdotal evidence of his character and and arrogance are well known. There is no oversight of Isom from Kirby because Kirby has already demonstrated he can't organize a one car funeral.

In ANY major Corporation there is someone who everyone looks at each other and says "How the hell did he get that job?" Well with US it's Scott Kirby. Andrew is smarter asleep then Kirby is when he's awake..
Isom is the EVP,COO but you can't discern reporting relationships from titles. A VP might report to a SVP, an EVP, the President or the CEO. It depends on functional relationships and what makes the most sense at any given time.

Every one of those guys with the big titles are really bright/intelligent/smart. Parker, Kirby, Isom, Kerr, Johnson, Nocella and the rest didn't get the top jobs in a $12B company because they are just above average in cognitive abilities; no, they are where they are because they are extremely intelligent and very good at what they do. I wouldn't bet against any of them in a cognitive ability contest.

Reactions: 2 people
Actually, Phoenix, it's quite an accomplishment to get such a successful operation out of underpaid employees. It takes a smart group to pull something like that off. Wall street likes Team Tempe for a reason.

Sure they are smart in a skilled, manipulative sort of way.

Not only do they have underpaid workers doing superior work for substandard pay, they also have some of those same underpaid workers blathering like idiots about how smart their "successful" managers are. Just sayin'.

Reactions: 4 people

Not only do they have underpaid workers doing superior work for substandard pay, they also have some of those same underpaid workers blathering like idiots about how smart their "successful" managers are. Just sayin'.
If an employee considers himself underpaid then it should be an easy enough problem to fix. Just put in a job application where your services will be compensated at a higher rate and the problem is fixed. How many job offers have you received in the past year that paid more money on day one for the same services you provide as you get now? If you got one then why didn't you take the job? If you didn't get such an offer then how can you objectively determine that someone else is wiling to pay you more than you make now? It's easy to say you are underpaid, its another thing to prove it by turning in a resignation and going to where the grass is greener.

Reactions: 1 person

I forgot to mention that some of the underpaid workers don't even know they are underpaid and worse they don't know they are blathering like idiots. Not too hard to look "smart" when you have folks like that. The hard part is keeping a straight face when you get accolades for being so "smart."

If an employee considers himself underpaid then it should be an easy enough problem to fix. Just put in a job application where your services will be compensated at a higher rate and the problem is fixed. How many job offers have you received in the past year that paid more money on day one for the same services you provide as you get now? If you got one then why didn't you take the job? If you didn't get such an offer then how can you objectively determine that someone else is wiling to pay you more than you make now? It's easy to say you are underpaid, its another thing to prove it by turning in a resignation and going to where the grass is greener.

As I mentioned in another post I know some who have, myself included. I also know alot more would leave if the opportunity presented itself, however, openings are few and far between.