What to do about Columbus??

speaking of a possible feeder market for CMH....Airtran is adding a CAK-LGA flight...too bad. That will certainly cut down the pax willing to go through Columbus to get to NYC....

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/7/2002 12:31:09 AM Columbia blue wrote:

speaking of a possible feeder market for CMH....Airtran is adding a CAK-LGA flight...too bad. That will certainly cut down the pax willing to go through Columbus to get to NYC....
----------------
[/blockquote]

CAK is a LONG drive from CMH. Will the savings be worth the hassle? I think not.

In the interest of keeping the thread going, CAK-CMH isn't THAT far, 99 miles as the crow flies. Makes a lot of sense for the Canton people, who are even closer, to use CAK instead of CMH.

Yes, Cleveland Hopkins is MUCH closer to Akron/Canton than it is to Columbus. Most of the people that drive to CMH are actually from cities south of Columbus, such as Dayton, Cincinnati, and Parkersburg, WV. Considering that fares at both CAK and CLE and reasonable for the most part, and there are pleantly of nonstop options from CLE, driving to CMH from the Akron/Canton area isn't that viable to begin with.

Akron is a lot closer to CLE than to CMH. Canton is maybe 30 miles closer to CLE, but the roads to CLE are much better.

actually I was thinking more of a feeder service to CMH from CAK than people driving there from Akron or Canton...As pointed out they would certainly drive to Cleveland first. Of course maybe Chataqua is using all their spare planes for Delta

Years ago there was a carrier based at CMH named Trans Midwest. TWA had a sizable operation in CMH back then and Trans Midwest fed pax to TWA from TOL DAY a few other Ohio towns and I think Charleston WV. (sorry I'm not up on my city codes). But I think feeder flights from SDF IND TOL CAK GRR BUF would do well since most of these cities have to use ORD CVG CLE as connecting hubs. CMH is a great place to have pax connect at since it is relatively a small hub with easy connections. Plus CMH doesn't have the weather and traffic problems of the major Hubs. The only thing I think CMH (HP) lacts is flights to some of the major business cities to the West.

Years ago there was a carrier based at CMH named Trans Midwest. TWA had a sizable operation in CMH back then and Trans Midwest fed pax to TWA from TOL DAY a few other Ohio towns and I think Charleston WV. (sorry I'm not up on my city codes). But I think feeder flights from SDF IND TOL CAK GRR BUF would do well since most of these cities have to use ORD CVG CLE as connecting hubs. CMH is a great place to have pax connect at since it is relatively a small hub with easy connections. Plus CMH doesn't have the weather and traffic problems of the major Hubs. The only thing I think CMH (HP) lacts is flights to some of the major business cities to the West.

As U continues to shrink at PIT, it seems inevitable that CMH will gain some of the traffic. Maybe Barb's September traffic numbers are starting to show this. PIT experienced another flight reduction this month, and will lose even more in January.

Less years ago (about 10) there was an airline in CMH named Mesa that provided HP with feeder flights on Beech 1900's to places like Akron, Toledo, Indi, Louisville, Flint, South Bend, Milwaukee, and Rochester. In fact, these flights operated as HP Express. I am guessing that they were not profitable since they are no longer around. And remember, this was when HP was flying 737's or larger to places like BOS, DCA, LGA, PHL, and MDW from CMH.

Between 1993 & 1995 Mesa (dba Superior) operated HP Express flights to:
- As of Dec 5 1993
CMH - ROC (3), CAK (6), TOL (6), FNT (2), IND (3), SDF (5)
MKE - CID (3), LAN (1), FNT (2), IND (5)
FNT - ROC (2), LAN (2)
DTW - RFD (4)
CID - DSM (3)

- As of Apr 18 1994
CMH - TOL (4), CAK (3), BWI (2), SDF (5), MKE (4), IND (4)
MKE - LAN (3), DSM (3), IND (4)
DTW - RFD (4)
TOL - FNT (2)
FNT - LAN (1), MKE (1)

- As of Oct 30 1994
CMH - TOL (5), FNT (3-Disc 12/13), LAN (2-Disc 12/13), GRR (4), MKE (4), IND (4), SDF (5), BWI (3)
MKE - GRR (2)
FNT - LAN (4)

If memory serves corrently when service was suspended in 1995...TOL, BWI, MKE, SDF, and IND were the remaining Express cities left. These were the top performers. The flight total numbers listed above do not include mainline flights that also operated on routes to MKE, IND, and BWI.

The flight numbers above also don't indicate number of flights in the reverse routing. Such as FNT-CMH had only 1 flight and LAN-FNT was only 1 flight a day as well.

Latest posts

Back