What would happend if we merge again?

Apr 11, 2010
http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/story/11267725/1/american-ripe-for-takeover-is-us-airways-looking.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

The second potential path to a merger with American Airlines could occur in bankruptcy court, if one assumes that the bankruptcy chatter is to be believed, which is a big step.

"At this point, American's market capitalization is clearly a small enough number for a takeover bid," said Avondale Partners airline analyst Bob McAdoo, in an interview. "

The east Pilots would go from ruling the roost (so they think) to back of the bus. AA pilots would probably staple US pilots to the bottom of the list just like TWA.

Reactions: 3 people
The AA pilots want nothing to do with western scabs. Why would they Niclau and put stupid young western in senior slots you stupid western idiot! God damn you young snappers are ignorant.! 767 jets bald ass lies are as clear as his sorry head. What an embarrassment that shining mess is. The truck story tells an ignorant
tale. You are really a bald liar.

Your verbal alacrity and ability to articulate a point of view makes me wonder how you could ever get a single engine license must less fly a commercial airliner. But hey WTF do I know compared to the all knowing, all seeing Karnak, I mean Claxon?

Reactions: 1 person
East pilots are Veterans, West are Rookies! Would a west pilot be able to pull what Sully done?
That's the most ignorant post or question I have ever read. I am an east FA and I am certain that any west pilot would have done what they needed to do if the same occurred to them .West or East they are all
Professional pilots . Just becaue they don't agree on certain issues does not mAke either side acbetter pilot than the other .

Reactions: 8 people
That's the most ignorant post or question I have ever read. I am an east FA and I am certain that any west pilot would have done what they needed to do if the same occurred to them .West or East they are all
Professional pilots . Just becaue they don't agree on certain issues does not mAke either side acbetter pilot than the other .

Nice post, both sides have professionals and there are some topics/ events which transcend politics. Sully and Skiles both did a great job with what they had and you cannot argue with the outcome.

Reactions: 2 people
The east Pilots would go from ruling the roost (so they think) to back of the bus. AA pilots would probably staple US pilots to the bottom of the list just like TWA.
Wouldn’t AA be slotted like the nic because US is in better financial shape then AA
Can you imagine that AB319 US F/O as a captain on a triple 7
In front of an AA F/O all in the name of financial shape (career explanation)

Wouldn’t AA be slotted like the nic because US is in better financial shape then AA
Can you imagine that AB319 US F/O as a captain on a 747
In front of an AA F/O all in the name of financial shape (career explanation)
No 747's have been at AA for several years.....

Reactions: 1 person
Here we go again folks. The recurring will US-merge-with-AA thread. Two of them, no less. (Haven't checked the AA board, but it might on there as well.

Look, I am not saying it will never happen. But until there is something concrete, yinz can save some time and energy; just go back and read on of the many prior discussions on the same topic.

We've done it all before. Over and over and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyFvkHq03Lc

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/story/11267725/1/american-ripe-for-takeover-is-us-airways-looking.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

The second potential path to a merger with American Airlines could occur in bankruptcy court, if one assumes that the bankruptcy chatter is to be believed, which is a big step.

"At this point, American's market capitalization is clearly a small enough number for a takeover bid," said Avondale Partners airline analyst Bob McAdoo, in an interview. "

How would a merger / seniority integation likely play out?

1. There is no single collective bargaining agreement between East and West.
2. There is no single seniority liste between East and West
3. Even Judge Wake stated that without a single agreement he could not impose a seniroty list.
4. The McKaskill / Bond provisions will apply
5. The West cannot impose Nicolau
6. The East cannot impose Date of Hire
7. Each party East, West and APA will have the opportunity to negotiate, or arbitrate as stated in the MB Amendment.
8. The Trick for USAPA is to ensure that West pilots receive adequate financial support so that they can hire their own merger counsel and have complete freedome to seek their own interests.
9. The financial distribution could be done by assessment of all members of the bargaining unit and then divided based on population. That way the WEst would be in effect assessing themselves and paying for their own support. It might require an overide of some amount to account for the lack of infrastructure that the West has for administrative work. The East dues support the Office / Staff etc.

10, Parker has stated that this is a likely outcome in crew news videos. He was very quick to say that this was simple, each party would seek its own interests. He likes it because it relieves him of the company's DFR responsibility.

I think Doug is speaking to AMR about a deal. The following information is more of the rumor type with comments and speculation, but here's my take.

1. There are message board reports on USaviation.com's website that APA President Dave Bates briefed the MIA Domicile late last month that he was recently at an industry conference, he personally talked to Scott Kirby, and Bates indicated US Airways was targeting AMR.

2. DFW station personnel are telling crews that Doug Parker, Scott Kirby, Robert Isom, and Derek Kerr have been regularly flying in and out of DFW.

3. A colleague of ours I spoke with recently spoke with a Virgin America crew. The Virgin Crew said Parker recently flew between LAX and DFW (to hide his whereabouts?) on Virgin.

4. In last month's PHX F/A Crew News (I believe the F/A session - may have been one of the other 3 sessions) when the AMR merger question was asked, Parker confirmed he's been going to DFW on business.

5. I believe the slot transaction may no longer be desirable if a deal proceeds with AMR. in fact, at last week's Annual US Airways Management Conference in PHX the "executive suite" was not in attendance, which is unusual. Where were all of the Officers?

6. Yesterday US Airways' Market Capitalization was $810.41 million. American's Market Capitalization was even less at $801.14 million, which makes an out of bankruptcy stock swap attractive, but still leaves the combined company with too high of costs.

This is all rumor type information, although I believe all of the five points above to be true. Here's where I'm going with this:

Fall Quarter - LOA 93 decision goes against USAPA and union neutered by Preliminary Injunction court order.

December 2011 - Slot Transaction decision

March 2012 - Bid to acquire AMR, pre-packaged bankruptcy to preserve cash, agreements with AMR unions to freeze pension/create a DC Plan, promise to APA/USAPA of DAL +1%, agreements with Boeing/Airbus and other creditors to keep aircraft, engine, and other deliveries intact.

December 2012 - DJ lawsuit decision, federal government does not oppose merger and US Airways-AMR file Hart-Scott-Rodino notice.

US Airways surviving entity, which bypasses East COC provision. Combined business entity called American Airlines. Pilot's offered DAL + 1 percent to support deal. Assuming the District Court rules the Nicolau Award is the list then this would be USAPA's list when we enter into the MacCaskill-Bond federal law seniority integration.

The NMB holds a representation election. APA becomes our union and Cleary & Co. is removed from office. Parker does not have to deal with USAPA ever again, USAPA folds, and Parker gets what he wants.

As a colleague of ours said, "(Parkers) got a court's decision that US Airways' pilots even so much as calling in fatigued may be in violation of the RLA. What more could the CEO of a LCC want? Checkmate."

Latest posts