What's the matter with proving citizenship to vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, an 75 year old mexican man, who's been in the country for 10 years and has no proof of American citizenship, should be allowed to vote, by simply stating, "I have no way to obtain an ID.................correct?

No one said that but you

That is what the Framers of the COTUS believed. White male property owners. After all, they were the only folks who had an interest in the country.

Reactions: 2 people
South,

I can't say any clearer than I have, my position is that Every Single Person who is entitled to vote should have that opportunity, without onerous requirements and without having to pay for the privelege.

No one who is not entitled to vote, and by law that includes some citizens, should be.

The NAACP and ACLU, as champions and defenders of individual and civil rights and liberties, are working diligently to protect ALL citizens' right to vote, among other things. IMO, Anyone, regardless of political or ideological beliefs, who cares one whit about individual or civil rights and liberties would fully support their efforts.

Are you willing to deny Viviette, or others like her, her/their right to vote?

Are you willing to force people to pay to get an ID to vote?

Voter ID is fine, done right. Done right means without trampling Viviette, or anyone else's, right to vote. That includes not making anyone pay, anything, for the privelege.

Reactions: 1 person
South,

I can't say any clearer than I have, my position is that Every Single Person who is entitled to vote should have that opportunity, without onerous requirements and without having to pay for the privelege.

No one who is not entitled to vote, and by law that includes some citizens, should be.

The NAACP and ACLU, as champions and defenders of individual and civil rights and liberties, are working diligently to protect ALL citizens' right to vote, among other things. IMO, Anyone, regardless of political or ideological beliefs, who cares one whit about individual or civil rights and liberties would fully support their efforts.

Voter ID is fine, done right. Done right means without trampling Viviette, or anyone else's, right to vote. That includes not making anyone pay, anything, for the privelege.

Voting is a privilege not a right.
I drive a car, I get a drivers license. I have to pay for both.
If I drive my car without insurance, it gets impounded.
Driving a car without insurance removes my privilege to drive it.
How much does an ID cost?
$10-$20 ?
If you can't pay that for the 'privilege' to vote, then stay home.
B) xUT

Reactions: 3 people
Wrong

Driving is a privelege

Voting is a right

Read the Constitution

We have one self-styled "conservative" who says he would deprive a citizen of their right to vote if they are unable to, or just don't, pay...

$10?, $20?, $200?, $2,000?

How much is ok to have to pay to exercise your rights?

Anyone else?

South,

Are you willing to let non-citizens vote, in order to pander to the few citizens who can't produce an ID?

A simple yes or no will suffice !

Wrong

Driving is a privelege

Voting is a right

Read the Constitution

We have one self-styled "conservative" who says he would deprive a citizen of their right to vote if they are unable to, or just don't, pay...

$10?, $20?, $200?, $2,000?

How much is ok to have to pay to exercise your rights?

Anyone else?
Commit a felony and argue if it's a right or a privilege.
Is voting a privilege and not a right?

"In its 2000 ruling, Alexander v Mineta, the [U.S. Supreme] Court ... affirmed the district court's interpretation that our Constitution 'does not protect the right of all citizens to vote, but rather the right of all qualified citizens to vote.' And it's state legislatures that wield the power to decide who is 'qualified.' As a result, voting is not a right, but a privilege granted or withheld at the discretion of local and state governments.... the U.S. is one of just 11 nations among 120 or so constitutional democracies that fail to guarantee a right to vote in their constitutions."
DOH!

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts