When You Lose An Engine

ResRepGirl

Aug 19, 2002
I was sitting around talking with a friend yesterday about aircraft and we were discussing how most modern planes only had 2 engines. And was wondering if any of you pilot types would explain what happens when you lose an engine... can you still fly at full speed? why doesn't the plane spin around in circles because of the power imbalance? Does it scare the crap out of you, or is it a pretty "normal" thing to recover from.

Thanks!

ResRepGirl said:
I was sitting around talking with a friend yesterday about aircraft and we were discussing how most modern planes only had 2 engines. And was wondering if any of you pilot types would explain what happens when you lose an engine... can you still fly at full speed? why doesn't the plane spin around in circles because of the power imbalance? Does it scare the crap out of you, or is it a pretty "normal" thing to recover from.

Thanks!
It pulls to the side that still has thrust and you can't believe how much force that is! Modern A/C with computers correct for it instantly. You must compensate with opposite rudder and ailerons in manual mode and trim the control surfaces. Ask Chip the real expert.

Depends. If it's a MD-80, 727, MD-11, DC9..... It doesn't yaw at all. If it's a 747, A-340, DC8....it's no bid deal either since you have multiple engines. If it's a 737, 757, A-330.........then you get to bend the rudder a little to keep it straight. The most dangerous time to lose one is just after lift-off, when you're going very slow. All of us are trained up to twice a year to deal with this situation, so it's no big deal. I've already had my "once in a airline career" engine failure, so I just relax now days and hope it's not the other pilots time........ :)

All,

Quoted from above:
Modern A/C with computers correct for it instantly.

The ERJ170 which will soon be the newest. most modern a/c in our fleet offers no auto rudder compensation with the loss of an engine. To answer your question a little more, the airplane will not fly as fast, as far, or as high on one engine because of the loss of one engine. However if it helps, UAL had a 777 fly close to 3 hours, maybe more, on one engine on a flight over the Pacific.

4lowed

was sitting around talking with a friend yesterday about aircraft and we were discussing how most modern planes only had 2 engines. And was wondering if any of you pilot types would explain what happens when you lose an engine... can you still fly at full speed? why doesn't the plane spin around in circles because of the power imbalance? Does it scare the crap out of you, or is it a pretty "normal" thing to recover from.

Thanks

Sure you lose 50% of your power but 80% of your performance.
no you cannot continue to fly at full speed (unless you are decesending)
the plane doesnt spin in circles since the Rudder is used to "keep it straight"
Crap is a word Frank Barone uses on Everybody loves Raymond, some it might most my guess is it would not as stated in a previous post it is a common training event. have an uncontained failure at altitude at night over the water now that might be a different story. Keep in mind some of the best money ever saved by airmen and women are by the correct timely decisions sometimes this might be a taxi back to the gate to "have something looked at" or circling another 15mins while a microburst passes the field you could earn your career pay in just a few mins and most people will never know.

hope this helped

ResRepGirl said:

Thanks!
Your question has been answered by several pilots, but just in case you are not fully aware of the technical terms:

The RUDDER is the primary means of keeping the airplane from "going around in circles" when one engine quits. The rudder is the movable surface that sits vertically on the tail of the airplane and moves left & right. The rudder is controlled from the cockpit by pedals (left & right) under the pilots' feet.