Which Is It?

matika

Feb 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I've been out on a lengthy medical leave (I'm PSA in PIT). Upon my return, I've been inundated with every possible rumor you can imagine (no different than usual, really).

On the one hand, I'm hearing that PIT is possibly going to be hubbed again with domestic flights.

On the other, I'm hearing that Doug Parker said PIT will never be a hub again.

It's hard to ever know what's going on, but being out of the loop for three months and having all this conflicting information and rumor-milling makes it really confusing. Anyone know anything?

No new information that will change the status of PIT base.

According to Doug Parker, PIT will stay as is for now.

However, as an aside, what is known by most fa/s who stay informed in PIT is that there are about 200 f/as too many for the base. There will be the last VFLR release for 2005 on Dec. 2, yet, 333 f/as scheduled to come back on that date from the VF. How many will actually come back that are PIT based is anyone's guess. There are approx 30 a/c scheduled to be returned between now and Feb. on mainline U-East operation.

How I suspect (speculation) the company will deal with this overage? Offer another system wide VFLR first quarter 2006.

If you are mainline the following is the head count from Aug to Nov 1. Some fluctuation in Sept, and Oct. due to those who come off medical leaves. August reflects numbers before VFLR, VSIP and Retirees that were slated for Sept. 1:

2005-PIT *Available Headcount
Nov 463
Oct 460
Sep 472
Aug 600

No new information that will change the status of PIT base.

According to Doug Parker, PIT will stay as is for now.

However, as an aside, what is known by most fa/s who stay informed in PIT is that there are about 200 f/as too many for the base. There will be the last VFLR release for 2005 on Dec. 2, yet, 333 f/as scheduled to come back on that date from the VF. How many will actually come back that are PIT based is anyone's guess. There are approx 30 a/c scheduled to be returned between now and Feb. on mainline U-East operation.

How I suspect (speculation) the company will deal with this overage? Offer another system wide VFLR first quarter 2006.

If you are mainline the following is the head count from Aug to Nov 1. Some fluctuation in Sept, and Oct. due to those who come off medical leaves. August reflects numbers before VFLR, VSIP and Retirees that were slated for Sept. 1:

2005-PIT *Available Headcount
Nov 463
Oct 460
Sep 472
Aug 600

Would like to clarify....these are the numbers of FA's in PIT? Is this why so many senior FA's would be on reserve, because there are so few FA's to begin with? How many reserve line are in PIT and how many regular lines are there? HP FA's have to much anxiety over people with 22 years on reserve.....it's on reason they have been so freaked out about seniority issues. more info would be great.

PIT has a 44% reserve factor. There are 191 primary lines and 59 secondary lines for Novemeber. All other bases have a 19-20% reserve factor.

As you can see, PIT has double that. With regard to November Reserve lines, they are out, but I don't have that data at home.

The US-West f/as really don't have to worry about the issues that effect us on the East. The CEO is eliminating more employees from the East operation and full integration will not occur for approx. 18 months. By then, there "right sizing" the airline (as they call it) will have been completed.

Would like to clarify....these are the numbers of FA's in PIT? Is this why so many senior FA's would be on reserve, because there are so few FA's to begin with? How many reserve line are in PIT and how many regular lines are there? HP FA's have to much anxiety over people with 22 years on reserve.....it's on reason they have been so freaked out about seniority issues. more info would be great.
Don't try to bid PIT, an you won't have to worry about being on reserve...Truthfully, the downsizing of flying time in PIT is what has caused f/a's with 20+yrs to be back on reserve. The fact that it was the biggest base, with the best flying for the past 25 yrs, means it is home to the bulk of the f/a's based there. Most of them cannot uproot their families and move, and they really do not want to commute, so we all sit here on reserve. Reserve in this base isnt nearly as bad, as other bases, they have ample coverage, with blockholders so we rarely work. Maybe 2 company time trips a month or so. Most are just going to ride it out and see what Mr. Parker has in store for PIT.

Latest posts

Back