My Solution For Us Airways

They should be instead of looking at increasing revenue ... As the CWA (Communications Workers of America), demonstrated in recent graphs of employee costs,... Southwest Airlines which is a more comparable airline to USAIRWAYS in size, employees, flights than JetBlue is...

And the CWA in graphs & scales displayed that...

Southwest employee costs are higher than USAIRWAYS....

Southwest also offers benefits that USAIRWAYS doesn't offer like: thier higher pay scales, Vision benefits, Profitsharing, etc..... And they are still profitable....So, it isn't the front line employee costs a burden to the airline....

Here's just one example:

From SWA and US websites...

WN - Vision coverage is offered to provide affordable vision care for Employees and their families. Coverage under the vision plan includes complete eye exams and lenses and frames or contact lenses. Under some plans, vision coverage is available only to certain work groups.

US - Vision Care
Employees can take advantage of vision care discounts at more than 5,500 providers nationwide. Discounts typically are 35% or more for frames, contact lenses, and eye examinations.

WN employee costs are lower? I'm sure you have solid proof of that too. Can we stick to posting truthful info on here and not just rumors and second hand stories?

Ch. 12:

I think we are on the same page, and I just worded my post poorly.

My comments regarding neutralize Southwest and the other LCC's was not meant to say attack them and try to beat them at their own game. It was meant to say, find a way to co-exist profitably with Southwest and other LCC's in the East first, before you go on the offensive. If co-existing means finding more opportunities from the East to Caribbean and Europe, fine. If co-existing means rebranding your product to be an "upscale" product (i.e. first class upgrades and meals that are more than peanuts), fine. If it means simplified fleet, fine. If it means new marketing that says, "We can take you to White Plains or LGA, closer to where you really need to be than ISP/JFK," fine. If it means more focus cities and less hubs, fine. Whatever it is, do it in the Core East Coast markets first. Solidify the very unstable (for US Airways) core eastern markets, before trying something completely new and potentially extremely expensive.

My point was that US Airways needs to coexist with Southwest and other LCC's at PHL/CLT/PIT/BOS/DC area before it can create a new focus city at LAX or OKC or ONT or whereever. If US Airways can get back to profitable, the opportunities will arise. So don't worry about what the opportunities will be, worry about how to get back to profit.

Thanks, Funguy, I see what you had meant. I agree that US Airways must get back to profitability before expanding but my point is that perhaps the unexplored opportunities are the avenues to profitability. That doesn't have to mean western focus cities but there is a tremendous opportunity to get in under the radar with the major focus right now being the east. I do like the prospect of taking a dominant situation in the carribean and turning it into one of the biggest foci and I do think that they have ample opportunity to bolster European service.

Unlike GW...I have no fear of cutting and running when it means survival. I'm not saying that U should EXPAND to the west and europe but rather REORGANIZE to the west and europe.

I agree that we're on the same page for the most part. And I don't think any of us wants to witness the next Braniff/Eastern/TWA demise.

Tarheel said:
WN employee costs are lower? I'm sure you have solid proof of that too. Can we stick to posting truthful info on here and not just rumors and second hand stories?
Try checking this out for non second hand info and rumors. I think the visions comparison is WN offers vision COVERAGE while US offers a vision CARE plan. Two totally different things. AAA also offers me vision CARE, but not coverage. :blink:

CWA COMPARISON FROM THEIR WEBSITE