Will AA Mechanics be Next?

RV4

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
[BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/24/2003 4:50:32 PM eolesen wrote: [BR][BR]Only 1700 mechanics at WN?----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]And ZERO SRP/OSM's upgraded from building cleaners attempting to be mechanics.[BR][BR]HOW TO HIRE AN KEEP PROFESSIONALS:[BR][BR][EM]Heard a rumor that SWA will be hiring approx. 45 AMT's this year. There will now be a written test that will have to be passed before an interview is given. The test is being drawn up by a selected group of supervisors with input from mechanics. It will be no less than 100 questions and there will be a 1 hour time limit. [BR][BR]I think that the Co. figured out that we might have picked up some slugs with the mass hirings we have done in the past couple of years and this test is a way of weeding out the guys who don't know squat but have the ability to b/s thier way through an interview.[BR][BR]To those of you at the struggling airlines, if you know your 737's and have a positive atttitude then please come on over. We need you. You will find out that SWA is alot different than the others. We don't have all the latest high tech equiptment to work on the planes. Alot of our stuff is old and junky and barely works, but we get by. I'd rather have a profit sharing check deposited every year than a brand new set of aircraft jacks or high dollar piece of test equiptment.[BR][/EM]

Perhaps that is because they have no overhaul shops with which to have SRP's or OSM's???

[P align=justify][STRONG]Airline after Airline is moving to AMFA for mechanic union representation.[BR][BR]Will AA be next?[BR][/STRONG][BR]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 24, 2003[BR][BR]FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:[BR]O. V. Delle-Femine, AMFA National Director[BR]603-527-9212[BR]Steve Lanier, AMFA National Secretary[BR]770-954-0212[BR]Jim Young, Region II Director[BR]612-387-8061[BR]
[P align=center][FONT size=5]Southwest Airlines Employees Win[BR][/FONT][FONT size=5]Election for AMFA Representation[/FONT][BR]
[P align=center][BR]
[P align=justify]Laconia, NH – January 24, 2003
– The National Mediation Board (NMB) has certified the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) as the bargaining agent for the mechanics and related employees at Dallas, Texas, based Southwest Airlines.[BR]
[P align=justify]AMFA received 805 votes from the 1459 votes cast in today’s representation election ballot count.[BR]
[P align=justify]We are pleased that the Mechanics and Related employees at Southwest Airlines have selected AMFA to represent them. The AMFA supporters at Southwest Airlines have worked hard to achieve this success and should be proud of their efforts, said O. V. Delle-Femine, AMFA National Director. He continued, We look forward to developing a positive relationship with Southwest Airlines officials, one that will benefit both the company and our new members.[BR]
[P align=justify][STRONG]AMFA is an independent craft union not affiliated with the AFL-CIO.[/STRONG] AMFA currently represents more than 11,000 aircraft technicians and related personnel employed at Alaska Airlines, American Trans Air, Atlantic Coast Airlines, Horizon Air, Mesaba Airlines, and Northwest Airlines.[BR]
[P align=justify]AMFA’s credo is Safety in the air begins with quality maintenance on the ground. To learn more about AMFA, visit their website at www.amfanatl.org.[/P]

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/24/2003 4:58:33 PM eolesen wrote:
[P]Perhaps that is because they have no overhaul shops with which to have SRP's or OSM's??? [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]Perhaps that is why the mechanics got rid of the Teamsters today???[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif']

[BR][BR][BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/24/2003 4:50:32 PM eolesen wrote: [BR][BR]Only 1700 mechanics at WN?[BR][BR]Another 120 votes for the IBT would have swung the election the other way...[BR][BR][BR]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]At AA, the TWU was voted in as a result of an NMB election in 1947, only [STRONG]TWO (2)[/STRONG] mechanics are left on the seniority list that would have even been eligible to vote in that election.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/24/2003 4:43:59 PM RV4 wrote:

[P align=justify][STRONG]Airline after Airline is moving to AMFA for mechanic union representation.

Will AA be next?
[/STRONG]

Could there be anything LESS important than a representation vote right now? I know I couldn't give a flip right now! I'm too worried about keeping a job. They have High Class problems at SWA!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/24/2003 9:37:06 PM AAmech wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------

[P align=justify][STRONG]Airline after Airline is moving to AMFA for mechanic union representation.

Will AA be next?
[/STRONG]

Could there be anything LESS important than a representation vote right now? I know I couldn't give a flip right now! I'm too worried about keeping a job. They have High Class problems at SWA!
----------------
[/blockquote]
What do you mean High Class Problems at SWA?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/24/2003 9:37:06 PM AAmech wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------

Will AA be next?
[/STRONG]

----------------
[/blockquote]

Now here is a statement I completely agree with (although I don't know what a high class problem is). It doesn't matter right now who the union reps are at this point. Personal and corporate survival is whats at stake. Ain't nobody gonna negotiate a raise or any other improvements to their personal life style any time soon. The TWU likes to post banners saying "the best workers in the world". All other unions like to think the same thing of their members. Now is the time to show it.

Regardless of seniority numbers or stations, just exactly how would a vote to change union representation help either American Airlines or American Airlines employees for the immediate future?

Will voting AMFA in suddenly solve many of the problems facing AA right now?

AAMech is right - you guys have far more pressing issues than which union represents you.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/25/2003 8:12:56 AM RV4 wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
You appear to believe we cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. I have the ability to multi-task in my brain and if my co-workers cannot, they have no business working on aircraft.

The topic of discussion on this thread is UNION REPRESENTATION, not how can the union save the company from themselves!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Where in my post did I ever insinuate that you cannot walk and chew gum at the same time? I really, really missed it.

I am only pointing out that at this point in time, a union representation election would result in absolutely SQUAT to help the airline or it's employees. You may have a "lap dog" union represent you now. But the time to change things would have been long before now, or later on. Right now, the AMFA, IAM or any other union most likely would not have the ability to do a heckuva lot more for you than your current union.

[BR][BR][BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/25/2003 3:54:42 AM rampguy wrote: [BR][BR][BR][BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR][BR]Now here is a statement I completely agree with (although I don't know what a high class problem is). It doesn't matter right now who the union reps are at this point. Personal and corporate survival is whats at stake. Ain't nobody gonna negotiate a raise or any other improvements to their personal life style any time soon. The TWU likes to post banners saying "the best workers in the world". All other unions like to think the same thing of their members. Now is the time to show it. [BR][BR]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]We will see if it doesn't matter who the union reps are when the TWU Presidents Council meets and votes on the giveback of the 3% raise, with Fleet Service Clerk Presidents already rumored to have caved even before the bogus financial review report is in. We may also get a good look if the members do get to vote and the issue is considered a "flow thru item" per the Council By-Laws. Regardless of which position you take, the majority will rule and the majority will not be mechanics. At least with AMFA your own craft or class would decide your fate.[BR][BR]I would like to know how AA and other airlines were allowed to underfund the pensions by Billions??? And why didn't the current representation and the AFL-CIO protects our retirements? Was it because they were all too busy playing politics with our paychecks in a game of "who has the most money" campaigns?[BR][BR][BR]It is already obvious what a difference union reps can make. AMFA at NWA refuses to sign confidentially agreements with mangement, meanwhile, the TWU is holding our futures hostage now to threaten Carty to stop funding and supporting a lobby group.[BR][BR]What if the tables get turned? Say Carty tells our leaders that if they dont quit giving money the AFL-CIO, he will liquidate the airline and force you to the street? Sound like fair negotiations to you?[/BLOCKQUOTE]

High class problems? I guess profits are high class. From what I understand, WN does not have a pension program. Can this be confirmed? If that is the case, maybe AA should, along with all the other companies in America, rid themselves of this age old style of retirement programs.

As for the statement that maybe the lack of overhaul at WN and maybe that's why they voted for AMFA...uhm, that would be the stupidest, most moronic, careless move AMFA could make in "representing" mechanics at WN. Should they choose to fight that fight, it would definitely convince me that AMFA, like most unions, has no clue on how to run a business, no are they concerned about the business their members work for. WN is one of, if not he, safest commercial carriers in the US, and possible the world. They've never had overhaul as part of their company. Why start now? They posted a profit, AA didn't. Is that a reason? YES! One of many. To force the company to take on overhaul responsibility would cause them to spend millions needlessly on an asset that would raise costs. Poosible lowering the pay of SWA employees (through loss or profit and thus profit sharing). It would send a clear message that AMFA, like most unions, is interested in increased membership and not a healthy company that can provide for future opportunities for the m=current members.

[BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/24/2003 9:37:06 PM AAmech wrote: [BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]
[P align=justify][BR][BR]Could there be anything LESS important than a representation vote right now? I know I couldn't give a flip right now! I'm too worried about keeping a job. They have High Class problems at SWA![BR][BR]----------------[BR][BR][BR][STRONG]What is your seniority date and station?[BR][/STRONG][BR][/P][/BLOCKQUOTE][/BLOCKQUOTE]

[BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/25/2003 8:48:40 AM NewHampshire Black Bears wrote: [BR][BR]" AMFA DAVE, RIDES AGAIN" !!!!!!!!!!!!!![BR][BR]NH/BB's[BR][BR]Hey dave, I've got an autographed picture of Jim Little, that I can let you have, for "the right $$ price" .[BR][BR]
BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]You always manage to show up and contribute greatly to the debate![BR][BR]Very impressive![BR][BR]Stick your picture out on E-bay, this an aviation forum not a flea market.