Will they Bite the Hand that Feeds them?

gilbertguy

Senior
Aug 29, 2002
America West to drop meal service. DUH! You mean airlines are NOT restaurants? Our job is to carry (hence air carriers) passengers from point A to point B....another great concept! How much does US spend feeding (actually throwing out) in meals a year? What is the unit cost of a snack item....SWA hasn''t forever and yet they seem to pack ''em in....
maybe this could be the return of our (your) 5%....I''m furloughed....I gave 100% a long time ago....

----------------
On 5/16/2003 2:58:20 PM gilbertguy wrote:

America West to drop meal service. DUH! You mean airlines are NOT restaurants? Our job is to carry (hence air carriers) passengers from point A to point B....another great concept! How much does US spend feeding (actually throwing out) in meals a year? What is the unit cost of a snack item....SWA hasn''t forever and yet they seem to pack ''em in....
maybe this could be the return of our (your) 5%....I''m furloughed....I gave 100% a long time ago....

----------------​
Movie theaters are also just there to show movies.
Malls are there for you to shop.

But guess what - they also have food. You''re spending sevearl hours there, so human nature dictates people will probably want to nosh. Yeah - you have to buy it. And, if airlines started charging for food, so be it. At least it''s an option. We sure won''t see the pricing go down.

Dropping food all together is all good and well on flights with gate to gate times of 3 hours or less. But, nobody likes to sit on a 3+ hour flight with not substantive food options. Crackers and 12 oz. drinks don''t cut it. And, with a 3 hour flight, you''re spending closer to 5 hours or more from the time you leave your house/office to the time you get your out of your destination airport where you can find something to eat.

Sure, eat at the airport before you leave. But that means arriving that much earlier and making the overall travel experience that much MORE time consuming and inconvenient.

I''m all for dropping meals on the shorter flights, as has already happened on most. But just watch the customer resentment at HP skyrocket when they can''t get a meal on a long flight like PHL-LAS.