With the first pick, LCC selects...

phasersonstun2

Veteran
May 1, 2003
From some of the things DP has said, I believe that LCC will go with the boys in Renton and select the 787 along with some 737-800/900's.

Listen to his webcast. He has lost confidence in Airbus, and quite frankly, unless you want to wait ten years to expand in the International arena, LCC cannot afford to wait that long.

I don't care if we get two or three 350's for the price of one, 2014 is 2014... and that is if production doesn't slip.

From some of the things DP has said, I believe that LCC will go with the boys in Renton and select the 787 along with some 737-800/900's.

Listen to his webcast. He has lost confidence in Airbus, and quite frankly, unless you want to wait ten years to expand in the International arena, LCC cannot afford to wait that long.

I don't care if we get two or three 350's for the price of one, 2014 is 2014... and that is if production doesn't slip.
Topic already discussed going with Boeing
http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35062

Its still a paper plane. 7 Years from now. Look what happened the last 7 years. The smart move would be go with Boeing. 1st flight for the 787 is just over two months away while the A350 is on paper. Look at their problems they are having with the A380. I am not saying they will have problems with the A350, but Airbus has to focus on the A380 program cause they have mortgaged their business on it. Airbus is taking the chance that Boeing took 40 Years ago with the 747. We know the final outcome with the 747, just that Airbus' jury is still out.

I enjoy the A320 family alot, and I believe its a tad quieter than the 737NG's, but I don't have a problem which they choose. But then with the range capability of the A321, the 737 wins hands down, but its the long term design what Tempe should use. If the A321 could be utilized on shorter routes but that ties their hands as well. They say do less trans-cons, but that is a market that is strong. Putting a 319 on some routes make sense but not all routes.

Its still a paper plane. 7 Years from now. Look what happened the last 7 years. The smart move would be go with Boeing. 1st flight for the 787 is just over two months away while the A350 is on paper.

Rollout of the 787 is scheduled for 07/08/07...(get it) :) .
Boeing is just now receiving all the major sub-assemblies so on that day of rollout, expect to see the exterior of a beautiful new Boeing. But don't expect to see it fly until later in the year at best.

Rollout of the 787 is scheduled for 07/08/07...(get it) .
Boeing is just now receiving all the major sub-assemblies so on that day of rollout, expect to see the exterior of a beautiful new Boeing. But don't expect to see it fly until later in the year at best.

Yea I get it, just thought that 7-8-07 was the first flight, just roll out, ok. Now another Question 07/08/07 is that July 8, 2007 or August 7, 2007? Military style it would be August!

Rollout of the 787 is scheduled for 07/08/07...(get it) .

Yea I get it, just thought that 7-8-07 was the first flight, just roll out, ok. Now another Question 07/08/07 is that July 8, 2007 or August 7, 2007? Military style it would be August!

I think it depends where it was announced, but it's only a matter of 1 month. At least it isn't 08. :D

I think it depends where it was announced, but it's only a matter of 1 month. At least it isn't 08. :D

Maybe...maybe not! Got this by Email.

A320 Driver B)

Boeing must prove 787 materials halt flames, are not toxic John Croft, WashingtonDC(26Apr07, 17:32 GMT, 275 words)

US FAA wants Boeing to prove that the composite structures of the 787 will not propagate fires that may develop in inaccessible areas and that fumes from composites and any nearby thermal/acoustic insulation will not be toxic to passengers.

The special certification conditions, published today, are a result of the FAA'sinexperience with large scale use of new structures on an aircraft.

The 787's wing, fuselage skin, stringers, spars and "most other structural elements of all major subassemblies of the airplane" are composite, according to the FAA. As such, the agency says the fuselage "cannot be assumed to have the fire resistance previously afforded by aluminium".

There are currently no standards for in-flight fire propagation with respect to an aluminium fuselage, says the FAA, as past investigations have shown that thin film covering the thermal/acoustic insulation, not the aluminium structure itself, has allowed fires to spread.

Those fires were typically caused by electrical issues, either short circuits, arcing caused by chafed wiring or ruptured ballast cases. The FAA addressed the insulation by publishing a rule in 2003 requiring that the material be tested to more stringent flame propagation requirements.

With the 787 and its "extensive use of new construction material" however, the FAA now says the fuselage itself "cannot be assumed to have the fire resistance previously afforded by aluminium".

Under the proposal, Boeing will have to show the 787 will provide the equivalent level of in-flight survivability as a conventional aluminium fuselage airplane, including resistance to flame propagation by both the structure and thermal/acoustic insulation.

Further, the FAA says "all products of combustion that may result must be evaluated for toxicity and found acceptable".

It can still make its flights just not approved by the FAA yet for commercial use till certified.

I would believe Boeing has all ready conducted burn tests on the composite material, heck Airbus and Boeing are using composites in planes every day and they FAA certified them.

Rudders, flaps, nacelles...etc....

AS LONG AS WE DONT END UP WITH FIOO TYPE PROBLEMS

Yes, but, any deal with Airbus would likely include additional A330s (cheap!) as interim lift, allowing US to get new widebodies well before there's a chance to receive a 787.

I believe Boeing makes better aircraft, but there's been nothing wrong with the A330, and the A350 will likely be very competitive when it enters into service. If US can get a sweetheart deal on the A330/A350 combination, then it still makes the most sense to me. However, if Airbus isn't willing to make "the deal of the century," then the 787 makes the most sense. Ultimately, it's all about turning a profit, not about who has the 'hot' aircraft.

The A330s have had corrosion problems all ready. There have been problems in heavy maintenance all ready with them.

It can still make its flights just not approved by the FAA yet for commercial use till certified.

I would believe Boeing has all ready conducted burn tests on the composite material, heck Airbus and Boeing are using composites in planes every day and they FAA certified them.

Rudders, flaps, nacelles...etc....

No composites in the passenger capsule to speak of until now with the B-787 fuselage and wingskins being composite.

A320 Driver B)

Latest posts