WN drops three stations

Kev3188 said:
If you check it out closer, the language grandfathers in current stations (at the time of signing). JAN was one of them, so the 12 flt. threshold wouldn't have applied.

AFAIK, JAN is mainline staffed.
Do you feel this influenced their decision to close the station?

Josh

I know that it sucks for the SWA employees in JAN and I feel sorry for them. But I would like to thank SWA management for giving them a 180 notice before closing the plant. Usually legacy airlines give you the bare minimum, 60 or 90 days and not a second more. And if they tell the union about the closures they'll tell the unions not to tell the employees until the very last minute. They tell you that you will lose your job and then 2 seconds later ask you what city you want to move to while you are still trying to digest the loss of your job. Kudos to SWA management for a 6 months notice.

As for JAN closing I am not surprised. They were down to about 4 flights and once United started flying to ORD that hurt their MDW flights. And then they gave up JAN-BWI. After that there's no reason to stay there.

WorldTraveler said:
Amazing that we are now talking about job protection for WN employees, something only legacy carrier employees had to think about.

WN is looking just like a legacy airline more and more.

Time for WN marketing to kick it up a couple notches.
WN has still NEVER had a layoff.
It provides the best job security in the business.
I am sure all affected employees will be given the chance to relocate in the SWA system.

curious1 said:
I know that it sucks for the SWA employees in JAN and I feel sorry for them. But I would like to thank SWA management for giving them a 180 notice before closing the plant. Usually legacy airlines give you the bare minimum, 60 or 90 days and not a second more. And if they tell the union about the closures they'll tell the unions not to tell the employees until the very last minute. They tell you that you will lose your job and then 2 seconds later ask you what city you want to move to while you are still trying to digest the loss of your job. Kudos to SWA management for a 6 months notice.
Do you mean in the event of an airline transitioning staffing to a third party or closing the station altogether? Obviously every circumstance is different but I think network planning usually works in intermediate time frame (4-6 months) when evaluating routes/capacity but some close on very short notice. IIRC, the six UA stations that were contacted out in October were provided notice in late July. With the new CBA many more station will be contracted out, does the union have any influence on the timing of such announcements?

Josh

By law if there is a certain # of employees 60 days notice must be given per the WARN Act.

700UW said:
By law if there is a certain # of employees 60 days notice must be given per the WARN Act.
True, but I'm asking what will DL 141 for all the stations on the chopping block due to the recently ratified CBA?

Josh

They will do exactly what the CBA does, just like they have always done.

Why do you think they will do something else?

Once again you are just trying to bash the unions.

What does/did ALPA, AFA, IBT, AMFA, TWU, and any other union do in the airline industry when a city or crew base was closed or vendored out?

700UW said:
They will do exactly what the CBA does, just like they have always done.

Why do you think they will do something else?

Once again you are just trying to bash the unions.

What does/did ALPA, AFA, IBT, AMFA, TWU, and any other union do in the airline industry when a city or crew base was closed or vendored out?
Well they often enter in backroom agreements for preferential vendors to take over like DL 143 did with NWA and ZW.

Josh

Really?

You know slander is a sueable offense online?

Prove the IAM entered in deals, because it would be illegal if they did.

Your out rite lying once again.

Are you that eager to try and blast?

ZW was in DL 143, you are just unreal.

And its there job to negotiate a CBA with ZW.

You are way off base.

Air Wisconsin vice president customer service Vince Portaro added, "Air Wisconsin customer service professionals consistently exhibit their commitment to exceptional service -- for every passenger, on every flight, every day. It is this dedication that has enabled us to expand our partnership with United and grow our ground handling business. I also want to highlight the signing of a new collective bargaining agreement with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW) District Lodge 143, which helped secure our new agreement with United." Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation offers competitive wages, benefits and retirement plans, as well as significant opportunity for advancement. The company operates as the largest privately held regional airline in the United States, performing ground handling services for United Express and Northwest Airlines at over 30 locations throughout the U.S. Additionally, Air Wisconsin operates its fleet of 70 Canadair Regional Jets as US Airways Express, with nearly 500 departures per day to 69 cities in 26 states and two Canadian provinces. Further information can be found at http://www.airwis.com

737823 said:
Well they often enter in backroom agreements for preferential vendors to take over like DL 143 did with NWA and ZW.

Josh
Source?

737823 said:
I'm not sure how the above link is a smoking gun. Especially since...

700UW said:
ZW was in DL 143...

• Banned
WN has still NEVER had a layoff.
It provides the best job security in the business.
I am sure all affected employees will be given the chance to relocate in the SWA system.
that's all fine but the simple fact is that WN now is making the same decisions of having to close stations and force employees to transfer that legacy carriers have done.'
WN's network is not ironclad which means their employees will suffer uncertainties just like legacy carrier employees have done.

The airline industry has long involved moves as part of what it takes to maintain a job.... for most WN employees, it has been voluntary. Now there are more and more that are having to move to retain their jobs... and the FL merger increased that number dramatically.

WorldTraveler said:
and the FL merger increased that number dramatically.
Dramatically?
How many people do you think have been forced to move to retain a job because of the FL merger?

Latest posts

Back