WN drops three stations

• Banned
You've posted the same article about a dozen times, swamt.

The reason why I confront so many people is because I push people to get to logical explanations, not some wishful thinking that AA and WN can keep DL out of N. Texas, WN's hometown airport.

Yes, I have said for quite some time that WN would have to cut cities in order to accommodate its growth. I am glad that WN is expanding their network including in its home markets from Texas. Mr. Kelly recognizes that WN has no choice but to cut existing cities in order to fund growth. And all of that growth will come at a cost... markets don't start generating profits for quite some time. But it doesn't change that WN is cutting cities now in order to rebuild its network... one which I absolutely think will be much stronger, even if it is focused on fewer US cities.

But since you and others want to keep bringing up DL and DFW, tell me how what WN is doing now by pulling down capacity is different from what DL did at DFW where they cut a lot of connecting capacity in order to redeploy it at JFK, a process that began before DL filed for BK.

I have never said that the end state that WN is going isn't good... in fact, I have long said that WN will end up with a much stronger network and be more competitive.... but they are doing things that the legacy carriers have done in order to get there and they also will be competing against the legacies with a much lower cost advantage than they had before.

And as much as you and E and others don't want to admit it, you are looking at (or can look at) DL's initial schedule from DAL which absolutely will influence what AA and WN have to do strategically with the reality that the only one of the big 4 without a Texas hub will have the advantage of serving both Dallas airports to multiple hubs, including with mainline aircraft, a strategy that DL has successfully used at MDW and HOU. Given that UA has a 12% mainline CASM disadvantage to WN and knows that pulling a DL-type move to AA would invoke a reaction that AA could well win, I'm betting UA will not expand their HOU service, but that part remains to be seen.

You and E can huddle and come back and let me know AA and WN's plans to overcome that advantage.

You can also dwell on the past and what WN and the rest of the legacy airlines did 10 years ago but today is today. DL set the goal almost 20 years ago of not allowing WN to have a CASM advantage. Muany of DL's cuts in the 90s were toward that goal. Now, however, there is virtually no mainline CASM difference between DL and WN and WN doesn't have the strategic advantages it once had.

What happened in the past won't shape the industry of tomorrow....what happens today will. DL has strategies in place to allow it to effectively compete with any of the major carriers in the US, including AS and B6 who still have a CASM advantage over DL. With a nearly identical mainline CASM to DL, WN has far fewer advantages... which is why they want DL out of DAL so WN can pick off the markets it wants. DL has made the first move and WN is now in the position of having to react.

No WT, they are not the same article.  Just because it may say something similar and/or negative about Delta does not make it the same article.  You obviously are not reading them past the negativity the writers are writing about Delta.  Here's another for your enjoyment of reading, and NO it's not the same article, and yes this was an article written by a writer without proof reading it before posting and I know it will drive WT nuts:

Southwest Air to bid aggressively for Reagan National slots

Dec 11 (Reuters) - Southwest Airlines Co plans tobid aggressively for takeoff and landing rights at ReaganNational Airport near Washington, as it looks to bring morecompetition to the nation's capital, a senior company executivesaid.
The slots are coming up for sale as American Airlines GroupInc makes divestitures required under a settlement withthe U.S. Department of Justice that allowed AMR and US Airwaysto merge.
"We are very interested in picking up as many DCA (ReaganNational) slots as we can," Robert Jordan, Southwest's executivevice president and chief commercial officer, said in aninterview at the carrier's Dallas headquarters on Tuesday.
He said Southwest needs a critical mass of slots to have aneffect on fares at the airport. Southwest, which bought AirTranin 2011, said it currently has 32 slots at Reagan National.
"We need a meaningful number of slots to be able to competeeffectively at Reagan," Jordan said. "We don't need 10; we need50 or 60 or 70. We're going to be aggressive in terms ofbidding."
American and US Airways agreed to give up 104 takeoff andlanding slots, or 52 pairs, at Reagan National and LaGuardiaairports, along with gates at airports in Chicago, Boston, LosAngeles, Miami and Dallas. JetBlue Airways Corp hasalso expressed interest in acquiring slots at Reagan National.
Jordan said he didn't know when the Reagan National slotswould be sold.
Last week, Southwest agreed to buy 22 of the 34 slots at NewYork's LaGuardia Airport that American and US Airways are givingup under the Justice Department settlement. Virgin America wasalso cleared to buy LaGuardia slots.
Jordan said Southwest would use some of the LaGuardia slotsit is acquiring to provide direct flights from Dallas to NewYork. He said the carrier would disclose the new flights itplans to offer from LaGuardia in the near future.
Jordan said Southwest would also like to bid for more gatesat Dallas Love Field, an airport where Southwest is already thedominant airline.

Swamt u mean to say dl wont be able to bid for the slots..... lol wt said while back on here that the whole thing would change.... bec dl was or is lobbying Congress.

Swamt u mean to say dl wont be able to bid for the slots..... lol wt said while back on here that the whole thing would change.... bec dl was or is lobbying Congress.
No I did not mean nor did I say that DL would not be able to bid for the slots. They (Delta) can bid for ANY slots they want to, however, it will be determined by the DOJ who will qualify after they bid to receive said slots or win said slots that they bid on. Never have I said that Delta would never be able to bid on any slots...

robbedagain said:
AA has had Northern TX a lot longer than WN has been around?
robbedagain said:
AA has had Northern TX a lot longer than WN has been around?
No, AA hasn't always owned North Texas... Braniff ran a hub there until they imploded in 1982, and AA opened up a hub there in 1981, smelling blood in the water.

AA stepped into the void left by BN, and kept on growing. WN was pretty much an afterthought to most people up until the late 80's, when they started their westward expansion.

Relax bro I was being sarcastic I knw dl can bid but its unlikely they would win
Sorry bout that. Yes I did take it differently. Now that I think about it, DL was not involved with the NY slots being divested at all. Don't think DL will be involved with the Wash. slots either. DOJ was pretty clear about these slots (DCA and LGA) will go to Low Cost Carriers. But, the DOJ also may let DL bid all they want to knowing they will not be able to "qualify" to be considered to be able to win a bid. As far as the 2 gates at 5 or 6 other airports are concerned, maybe these are the gates the DOJ is saying they might let DL bid on, who really knows until it happens.

Your scenario is most likely what has wt scared bec dl most likely wont get the slots due to not being a qualifier... only time will tell bro do u knw when the slots will be up?

• Banned
DL's interest in SLOTS - which are at LGA and DCA - are to serve small and medium size cities from DCA. DL never asked for or expected they would get slots at LGA.

E noted a long time ago that the gates at DAL go back to the airport in the event that AA does not use them which means the DOJ has no ability to influence how they are used. The usual rules of gate allocation at DAL then apply.

Despite pages and pages of trying to argue otherwise, no one would argues AGAINST DL getting the gates can show one airline other than WN who wants the gates while DL has loaded schedules.

While dl has publicly stated they want the gates... no one knows whats going on behind the scenes

Back