WO f/a hiring practices?

jetstewus

May 2, 2003
Let me first say that I realize no airline owes me a job, other than mainline if they ever call back my seniority.

What bothers me and what I'd like to #### about now is the attitude/treatment/whatever-you-wanna-call-it from Piedmont's inflight recruiting department.

I've expressed (hee-hee) interest in all three of our wholly owned express carriers since being furloughed from mainline in January. I've spoken with folks at Allegheny who have been very nice and informative but they have not been actively hiring. Recently I was offered a position at PSA. The pay is low but I get to keep my seniority number at mainline (for whatever that's worth.) Sid and the other people at PSA were pleasant, professional and have been nothing but nice to me. I am accepting the position and hope to have a fun and rewarding time at PSA, however long it may be.

...and then there's Piedmont. Why put your name on the list of current employers for furloughees if you have no intention of even talking to them? I know some of our mainline people have been hired there since 9-11...but in my case, I sent a resume and letter every month since January. No response. I found out through an online chat room that they were having interviews this month. I sent me resume again. No response. Their website has an icon for Furloughed Mainline Employees that has been under construction all year. I finally called Mr. Piedmont directly. He told me he had, in fact, received my resume and that I would be contacted IF selected for an interview. Not surprisingly after our short converstation, I never got the call and the interview dates passed. Perhaps I would not have been hired anyway...(Geez, flippin' Shuttle America turned me down!) but aren't we supposed to be part of the same entity? What could possibly disqualify me from at least getting a phone interview?

Again, Piedmont doesn't owe me a job...but I would expect more professional courtesy. Maybe they don't like guys. Who knows? It leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I hope they extend more consideration to future applicants from mainline. We have some great people who want to work.

Jetstew:

Consider it divine intervention and don't even waist a moment worrying about it. Your better off TRUST ME.
I don't doubt what you say but some people or departments are so full of themselves for NO reason. Believe me they have no reason to think that much of themselves.
PS...I have a friend that works for MESA and he likes it. If they don't try and take your seniority # it may be OK.
Also, how far down line line are you buddy?...I mean from what class. At this rate I will be at MidAtlantic in DEC. Maybe you will get called for MDA this fall.

JetStew:

All of us are wondering how the MDA recall and seniority issues will work. In-flight promised us a question and answer sheet WEEKS ago! I met the manager of MDA Flight Attendants and he is a nice guy. Classes of 60 will be starting in November and for every plane they will need 24 flight attendants. It will be FAST and FURIOUS. 1,300 F/A are due back off leave at mainline Dec 03. Now, all those won''t come back but some will and yes, it''s going to be a HUGE mess. I don''t even think they know how it is going to unfold.
Pop some popcorn...sit back and watch the show. It''s sure to be entertainment.

Priv. Message me is you like and I will give you my email.

Hey USAirBoy-

Thanks for the comforting words! Frankly, I've been trying to avoid going to Mesa or Chautauqua...I'm of the opinion our express flying should be done in house by our own carriers. I think PSA will be a nice gig...hey, I've never lived in Dayton!

I'm from class 00-07. We graduated August 3, 2000. A friend who interviewed for MidAtlantic training instructor seems to think they'll be calling people soon. I'm still worried about being bumped out later by additional furloughs at mainline and more senior people coming to MidAtlantic, but I'm not exactly clear how all that will work. I'd like to stay with the group so I can maybe someday return to international flying...but I'm keeping my resume current with SWA, too.

Good luck to you and I hope you are called soon!

Not trying to flame but let me get this right. Mainline U has done nothing but undercut and sellout the wholly owned airlines for many years. The latest stab in the back was U ALPO forcing U to send the 700's to Messup Air and you think that the wholly owned airlines should give you preference? I would agree that they should IF U hadn't sold the WO's down the river time and time again. Why should the WO's keep hiring "in the company" when all U is doing is farming out all the flying so that the WO's will be extinct in the near future? If U can't keep the jets/jobs in the company then the WO's should be expected to do no less. I realize that you don't have very much to do with the farming out of jobs nor do you seem thst you feel entitled to s job, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Its kind of hard to "look out for family" when the WO's seem to be nothing but the red head step children of U. Needless to say best luck at PSA or ALG or whomever you get hired onto.

Why are you including F/A in this? Belive me, for those who have done the F/A job on a turboprop.......the ringing and buzzing in the ears never ends...BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZ Twirl Twirl Twirl
No thanks. There are a few F/A who love the job and love it so much they would like to do it whenever they can. That's admirable.

----------------
On 7/19/2003 6:04:02 PM exagony wrote:

Not trying to flame but let me get this right. Mainline U has done nothing but undercut and sellout the wholly owned airlines for many years. The latest stab in the back was U ALPO forcing U to send the 700''s to Messup Air and you think that the wholly owned airlines should give you preference? I would agree that they should IF U hadn''t sold the WO''s down the river time and time again. Why should the WO''s keep hiring "in the company" when all U is doing is farming out all the flying so that the WO''s will be extinct in the near future? If U can''t keep the jets/jobs in the company then the WO''s should be expected to do no less. I realize that you don''t have very much to do with the farming out of jobs nor do you seem thst you feel entitled to s job, but what''s good for the goose is good for the gander. Its kind of hard to "look out for family" when the WO''s seem to be nothing but the red head step children of U. Needless to say best luck at PSA or ALG or whomever you get hired onto.

----------------​
I, for one, am glad this guy doesn''t work at ANY U affiliated carrier anymore. What an attitude! Hey buddy, it''s NOT all about you, ya know!

Hmmm, sounds like how some of my Piedmont Pilot buddies were treated at Mainline when they tried to get jobs or interviews. Sorry, but I cant say my heart bleeds for you.

Good Luck

----------------
On 7/19/2003 7:01:55 PM oldiebutgoody wrote:

----------------
On 7/19/2003 6:04:02 PM exagony wrote:

Not trying to flame but let me get this right. Mainline U has done nothing but undercut and sellout the wholly owned airlines for many years. The latest stab in the back was U ALPO forcing U to send the 700's to Messup Air and you think that the wholly owned airlines should give you preference? I would agree that they should IF U hadn't sold the WO's down the river time and time again. Why should the WO's keep hiring "in the company" when all U is doing is farming out all the flying so that the WO's will be extinct in the near future? If U can't keep the jets/jobs in the company then the WO's should be expected to do no less. I realize that you don't have very much to do with the farming out of jobs nor do you seem thst you feel entitled to s job, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Its kind of hard to "look out for family" when the WO's seem to be nothing but the red head step children of U. Needless to say best luck at PSA or ALG or whomever you get hired onto.

----------------​
I, for one, am glad this guy doesn't work at ANY U affiliated carrier anymore. What an attitude! Hey buddy, it's NOT all about you, ya know!

----------------​
Whats wrong oldie? The truth hurt. You need an attitude adjustment not me. Believe me I KNOW its not all about me - but it seems that some at ML think its all ABOUT THEM - screw the WO's who are just as much a part of U as ML is, isn't that your mantra? Give it a break and get a life would ya. Change the Depends, drink some metemucial and go get some coffee with your hamburger would ya. (tell me, what is the attraction of coffee and burgers anyhow) I'm just pointing out that maybe the WO's are fed up with mainline U and are giving U employees a taste of their own medicine. Why should they care if they keep a fellow U employee on the property when ML U has just about told PDT and ALG that they are GONE in a few years (if not sooner). Is U going to give them preferential hiring? They sure as hell didn't when the times were good. Oh sure they hired a FEW pilots from the WO's but most of the hiring came from MESA, Trans Mistakes and other regionals - nothing like helping your own fellow employees further their career. Now it would be ludicrous to say that the everyday ML employee had anything to do with not hiring WO employees but the WO's are much smaller and more of a family. They tend to remember their brothers and sisters not being given opportunities at U. Never said it was right or wrong, nor did I say that this is what is happening, just stated a possibility of what is going on. By the way don't worry, with your attitude, you and some of your ML ALPO buddies you may just be out of a job before you know it. As for jetstewus and the other FA I stand by what I said - good luck getting a job at ALG, PDT or where ever else you can. Jetblue and Airtran are great places for FA's.