Would US Airways buy Mesa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, MESA.

On Tuesday they announced a 1.7 million profit on a 1 time item with an operating loss of 4.7 million.
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thurdsay AM their stock did nothing and then Thursday afternoon the volume went crazy and continued all day Friday. Something like 1000 times norrmal volume.
Something is up?

MidAtlantic NEVER had an operating certificate, those planes were on the Mainline CERT, hence some of the issues with St. Nic and the pilots (USAirways pilots that flew the Fukker 100s were put into the E170, and their time flying the E170 doesn't "count" as seniority @ Airways, even though their callsign was "USAirways", their releases came from PIT-OCC, blah blah blah....

The only reason US would buy Mesa would be if it was cheaper than the penalties for breaking the contract. It could actually be a very good way of reducing capacity, if it was affordable.

MidAtlantic NEVER had an operating certificate, those planes were on the Mainline CERT, hence some of the issues with St. Nic and the pilots (USAirways pilots that flew the Fukker 100s were put into the E170, and their time flying the E170 doesn't "count" as seniority @ Airways, even though their callsign was "USAirways", their releases came from PIT-OCC, blah blah blah....
And American Eagle pilot's are really mainline AA pilots too, right?

blah, blah, blah

Totally, completely different. The US equivalent to American Eagle would be Piedmont and PSA, regional airlines wholly owned by the same parent company as US Airways.

'MidAtlantic' was the name of a division of US Airways Inc, the mainline certificate. Officially, it was referred to as the 'Embraer Division' by the FAA and in manuals, and the flights showed as US Airways operated flights in Sabre. It was staffed by previously furloughed US pilots and flight attendants, using the same master seniority list, but different contracts. US sold the 25 E170s to Republic who operates them as a contract US Airways Express carrier. The US Airways crews were furloughed as the aircraft left the mainline certificate.

The E190s escape the 'MDA' contracts due to seat count, however if US Airways ever decided to operate the E170 or E175 again, those provisions still exist in the current East pilot and flight attendant contracts.

So, no, nothing like American Eagle at all. Sometimes if you don't know about something, it's best to not say anything. Blah blah blah indeed.

MidAtlantic NEVER had an operating certificate
Correct - there was no MDA ops cert for Republic to buy. Republic did not provided any financing during or on exit from either BK either (other than the money used to purchase the 170's - an asset purchase not investment in US).

Either spindoc is mixing up details of the Air Wisconsin and Republic deals (Air Wisconsin did privide DIP financing in exchange for an Express contract) or thinking of Republic's commitment to provide exit financing which was declined by LCC since other exit financing became available at better terms once the merger was on the table.

Jim

blah, blah, blah

But what you forget is that MDA pilot's were and still are US, LCC, or AWE, (OR WHATEVER WE ARE CALLING OURSELVES) MAINLINE pilots.......any way you slice it and you can't deny it..

off topic

Back to MESA they are still up today on very high volume dispite the market taking a beating.

Something is in the works??????

Correct - there was no MDA ops cert for Republic to buy. Republic did not provided any financing during or on exit from either BK either (other than the money used to purchase the 170's - an asset purchase not investment in US).

Either spindoc is mixing up details of the Air Wisconsin and Republic deals (Air Wisconsin did privide DIP financing in exchange for an Express contract) or thinking of Republic's commitment to provide exit financing which was declined by LCC since other exit financing became available at better terms once the merger was on the table.

Jim

Jim:

You are correct and I was not. Thanks for pointing out my inaccuracies.

If I do recall correctly though, there was an unused operating certificate floating around for awhile which was slated to be transferred to Robert Johnson to operate flights out of Washington-Reagan under the name "DC Air". For some reason, I was under the impression that MDA was using that certificate, and had transferred it to Republic along with the E170's. Also, didn't Republic buy some of our slots in LGA and then lease them back to us in exchange for long term Express flying contracts?

That certificate was Potomac Air, which was going to be used for DCAir, then MDA and the Feds told US they couldnt US PA's Operating Certificate for MDA.

blah, blah, blah
Eagle is on it's own cert. and the crews at Eagle do not operate under AA's flight manuals, call sign, and do not wear an ID and bid according to AA DOH.. as those at Mid Atlantic did! If you don't know what you're talking about keep it SHUT!

Jim:

Also, didn't Republic buy some of our slots in LGA and then lease them back to us in exchange for long term Express flying contracts?
I believe you are partly correct....in addition to LGA slots/leaseback, I think they also bought some DCA slots and DCA gates 23,24,25, & 34 or 36 with leasebacks to US. They had provisions for US to buy back the above assets if done within a certain time frame, but alas, DP & company were too busy working on the next merger/aquisition(Delta) and let the time expire. This may come back to bite them now that Republic has aquired the competition.

But back to Mesa, I find it hard to believe that there is actually a market for their product anymore....unfortunately, Johnny O will walk away with pockets stuffed with cash and the employees will just get stuffed, if you know what I mean.

Dorf

Does anyone know which cities MESA operates for US AIRWAYS? I am curious what cities they have both customer service and ramp.

Eagle is on it's own cert. and the crews at Eagle do not operate under AA's flight manuals, call sign, and do not wear an ID and bid according to AA DOH.. as those at Mid Atlantic did! If you don't know what you're talking about keep it SHUT!
Great, now we have FA's chiming in on a topic that has nothing to do with them.

All of your examples mean very little which is why the MDA lawsuit is all but dead.

Weren't the mainline pilots required to have received a furlough notice prior to going to MDA?

Yup.

Could the FURLOUGHED mainline pilots flying for MDA bid mainline aircraft?

Nope.

Two separate ops tied together only superficially. Nicolau did it correctly.

So I suggest you take your own advice and keep it SHUT and focus on your cabin service.

Great, now we have FA's chiming in on a topic that has nothing to do with them.

How does it not have anything to do with F/As? Better question, what does it have to do with an America West pilot, at all?

All of your examples mean very little which is why the MDA lawsuit is all but dead.

Weren't the mainline pilots required to have received a furlough notice prior to going to MDA?

Yup.

Yes. One must always receive a furlough notice before being recalled in any way, shape or form. Is that confusing to you?

Could the FURLOUGHED mainline pilots flying for MDA bid mainline aircraft?

Nope.

Two separate ops tied together only superficially. Nicolau did it correctly.

This is the best one. So what you're saying is, a mainline pilot flying on the mainline certificate but in a smaller, fenced division with it's own contract, is not a mainline pilot?

Can you bid on an A330? No, you can't...

So, I guess YOU are not a mainline US Airways pilot then. Good thing I say, since you don't know much about US Airways.

So I suggest you take your own advice and keep it SHUT and focus on your cabin service.
[

Status
Not open for further replies.