Your Pay Is Cut. Now What?

This is just a Gross over-simplification of things.

Yes....most if not all of the 100 Counties in North Carolina charge annual property taxes on Vehicles....and the rate is based on the value of that vehicle...every county has a formula for this.

Larger counties such as Mecklenburg where CLT is...is usually twice as high as the surrounding counties...so either stay out of there...or increase your costs on commuting and vehicle wear and tear costs by commuting

You also excluded the insurance increases on a new or newer car....as the ACV (actual cash value) impacts your rates , based on replacement costs with your insurance provider....think I'm wrong? trade up and find out.

Unless a person can trade their gas guzzler for a vehicle that doubles their MPG on an even exchange...going into debt is going to be just that , Going into debt. Then you are running the chance of buying another persons troubles...instead of keeping what knowingly works for you.
It's not an over simplification. It's a completely valid analysis. You can get a descent, non-gas guzzling cavalier for about 5K off many places.

Based on BigMan60's analysis, that car pays for itself in a year. There should be plenty of money left over for insurance and taxes.

Hell, you could actually keep your gas hog of a truck and get a cavalier or corolla as an extra and STILL be better off.

Sometimes simple analyses make a helluva lot of sense.

Here's an answer for you. If you're going to be driving roundtrip 180 miles 4 or 5 days a week, either move or get a more fuel efficient car. That's just common sense for anyone making less than $1M/year.

Or, do both, and find someone to carpool/rideshare with, even if it's only 2-3 days a week ( FFS, I only live 15 miles from my airport and I'm doing it). He can't be the only one making the drive in from INT.

SO What Does ALL This MATTER if WE ALL @ (USAIRWAYS) end up Like NWA,DELTA,UAL? Just adding to the Fuel that Keeps the Fire GOING.
What is the Solution?
Give US some answer's not just Compaint's.
Here's an answer. MOVE ON!!!! The airlines are never going to be what they were. So get used to it. So be content with what you have or move on because right behind you there will be someone to take your place even at starting salary.

Yes, living alot less is a harsh reality-I've cleared all my bills, (mostly all)and the little I have I can take out of the bank to pay them off.

DEBT is a terrible thing..especially when 4 PAYCUTS HAVE HAPPENED>
I've taken drastic steps,and you know what?

I really dont miss WASTING ALL THE extra pennies I had.
I'm selling my car.
Going into a lease -Camry or Corolla.
If I can get a carpayment under 230.00 per month, taxes included, I'm doing good.
I no longer need(or want) a 353.00 a month noose around my neck.
My car is a luxury sedan..

Mtc is kept up- BUT I NO LONGER WANT OR NEED.

I'm asking 11,200..

If anyone is interested email me and I'll answer questions.
[email protected]

I had to make changes,but I can sleep at nite, and dont mind opening my mail-
now it's all JUNK MAIL.
the mail man bring it,and the garbage man taketh it!

Not that this adds anything more to this post but...

180 miles a day back and forth to work???

I live 20 miles from work and often question why I live so far. I love my job but not enough to drive 360 miles a day for 26 years. That is almost 6 hours in the car.... if he lived closer he could convert even just 1 of those hours a day into overtime and still spend more time with his family....

Lunacy....

Not that this adds anything more to this post but...

180 miles a day back and forth to work???

I live 20 miles from work and often question why I live so far. I love my job but not enough to drive 360 miles a day for 26 years. That is almost 6 hours in the car.... if he lived closer he could convert even just 1 of those hours a day into overtime and still spend more time with his family....

Lunacy....

Sadly the Eastside of the equation has a lot of people making long commutes or living in crash pads away from their actual homes. This is just in the Maintenance Dept. that I'm speaking of....not just Flight-Crews where its a fact of life in a lot of cases.

During the 90's...when Maintenance was killed off in ROA , INT and GSO...many had to go to either CLT or PIT to retain a job...and walking away from their investments in their respective area was not an option for a variety of reasons. The North saw closings too...especially at Line stations. It's not uncommon at all to have someone working in PVD or BDL one day...only to have to bid BOS or a Hub just to retain a job.

After Sept 11 2001....more jobs were abolished across the board...and TPA Base Maintenance became the next victim...and Yes many relocated to either CLT , PIT or PHL and retained residences in the TPA area.

Some Line Maintenance stations have been closed along the way too....and that has created more commuters than one can care to imagine. SYR , ROC , IAD , EWR ,IAH , ATL just to name a few...ROC initial closing spawned the start-up in IAD...but with the Metrojet debacle dying...IAD was an easy mark on the hit-list too. MIA gave way to FLL this year...so there are some more 30 plus mile one-way commuters created.

Everyone has had to make some tough choices along the way...but the HP folks have not had a fraction of the bad times that we in the east have been dealing with for almost 2 decades.

The former PSA folks have had their share of grief too in the West....cus the PSA operations were all destroyed...and SAN that was PSA's home has only survived as an out-station without Line Maintenance until the merger with HP has taken place.