2007 PHL Int'l Departures

As it stands now, US-East only has 4 more B757-200 etops conversions scheduled - N200UU, N201UU, N202UW, and N206UW. That would allow for up to 4 more routes from PHL which would bring the daily total to 21. They could always take 1 or 2 etops 757s from the west to fly transatlantic if they wanted. Or maybe, US has some bigger behind the scenes plans going on that we don't know about...

It is interesting to note that the last US-East etops 757 is N206UW while the first US-west etops 757 is N210AY. That would leave room for 207, 208, and 209 as future possible etops 757s

It is interesting to note that the last US-East etops 757 is N206UW while the first US-west etops 757 is N210AY. That would leave room for 207, 208, and 209 as future possible etops 757s

Good point but what about 203,204,and 205 ?

Cheers

LGA777

They could always take 1 or 2 etops 757s from the west to fly transatlantic if they wanted.

According to the Transition Agreement, AWA is allowed to fly 2 daily roundtrips to Europe. I'm not sure what would be involved in training the crews for trans-atlantic ops...

According to the Transition Agreement, AWA is allowed to fly 2 daily roundtrips to Europe. I'm not sure what would be involved in training the crews for trans-atlantic ops...
By then the transition agreement may be trash. When is integration Day? I thought March/April 2007 is the target.

According to Parker, who said this at last Wed. CLT pilot meeting, the reason there has not been new destinations announced is because PHL airport is not cooperating with gates on A (Int'l) concourse. His discription of the issues included the fact that old US Air leadership pissed off a whole boatload of folks all around the system as we went in and out of bankruptcy. PHL went out and got Southwest to come in with promises of plenty of gates as US Airways died off. We're still here and not giving up gates, so now the masterminds are trying to move Delta off their concourse and over to A, thus freeing more gates for Southwest. Why they would want a few more domestic flights from SW vs. new international cities has everyone stumped. I can only wonder.......

I undestand some new international destinations are being considered, however as this post states, gate space in PHL is hard to come by. I think there are a few destinations to reach beyond what a 757 can handle.

I undestand some new international destinations are being considered, however as this post states, gate space in PHL is hard to come by. I think there are a few destinations to reach beyond what a 757 can handle.
It's somewhat confusing. The airport authority told DL to move to A-East over a year ago. Just as they were getting ready to move (including investing in a new Crown Room), the airport cancelled the move - because new international carriers were expected by end of 2006/early 2007.Supposidly DL was extremely POd. Then a few months ago, the airport approved for DL to move (again) to A-East. At the same time BA and JM are to move from A-East to A-West. Any new International carriers would use A-West - as do all US International widebodies. The TA 757s normally all leave from A-East, as do all AA flights. There appears to be a lot of A-West gates available after or between the TA arrival/departure Banks - and US sometimes uses them for domestic flights. I would assume the problem with Parker is that he wants to only use A-East for ALL current and future 757 flights and not tie up A-West. DL moving into A-East will certainly make that more difficult. As far as D and E are concerned, the airport has started (or will very soon) a $200M expansion and refurbishment of those terminals. The major benefactor will of course be SW. Under those circumstances (the refurbishment), it's a little confusing as to why DL wouldn't want to stay put, particularly since their relationship with AF (in A-West) at PHL is no longer that solid - other than code sharing at a non-hub city. Also, the reason that US doesn't have more flights to Europe is because they don't have the aircraft and they won't until 2008 - unless they get something earlier from AB. The 757s are not going to open up Europe for US. I mean, how many people are going to want to fly from PHL to Berlin, Hamburg, Copenhagen, or other secondary European destinations within the range of the 757? If Parker really wants to compete head on for TA business, he should deal for a few early 330-200s and if PHL gates are indeed an inflexible expansion bottleneck (which I doubt), maybe consider moving a single TA 757 Bank (3 or 4 flights) to PIT, with some supporting connecting traffic and a guaranteed connection to CLT and/or PHL - if that's feasible.

There's a great facility in CLT. Oh, no..money in PHL...but thousands pissed from poor PHL service. Nice, professional people at US biggest hub with space..hum. Whatever!! Keep pouring people thru the WORST airport in our sytem and perhaps the entire free world. Oh, but it makes money. What a croc of crap!! :down:

The PHL officials need to realize the importance of being an international gateway. A direct link to Switzerland, Brussels, or whatever US has in store for Europe, is certainly more important than a 30th flight to chicago, 16th flight to PVD, etc. Combine that with the fact that the A-gates were designed to handle European flights and it seems to me that this decision should be pretty easy... Plus, like zethya stated, why would DL be so intent on allowing WN more gates anyways? (unless they're worried about our growing transatlantic operation in PHL...) When they are finished building the hammerhead on concourse E, WN will get even more gates, which will equate to another 20+ flights and I think we all know how well PHL is equipped to handle expansion.

Hopefully, US and PHL can reach an agreement similiar to what they did last year or else it will be very disappointing, to say the least

There's a great facility in CLT. Oh, no..money in PHL...but thousands pissed from poor PHL service. Nice, professional people at US biggest hub with space..hum. Whatever!! Keep pouring people thru the WORST airport in our sytem and perhaps the entire free world. Oh, but it makes money. What a croc of crap!! :down:

Must disagree.

The way CLT threw the weed-whackers in with the international movements, the lack of either a dedicated weed-whacker runway or even a third full size runway and the lack of useful transport into the city, not to mention, that, for LCC, there is no real O & D traffic, your characterization is somewhat off, fantastical, even.

PHL went out and got Southwest to come in with promises of plenty of gates as US Airways died off.

1. Any well-run facility would always have potential clients lined up. Nothing sinister about that.

2. Are you saying that SWA was not fully aware of potentials and the "airport" had to wake them up? Your comment was kind of a sideways slam on SWA and came, I hope, from an ignorant place.

Know your "enemy". SWA actually has quite competent management, as, say, opposed to LCC and the dinosaurs they inherited with AAA.

I am inclined to venture that our enemies reside in the hearts of our own management, who cannot seem to get out of the way of continuing ineptitude.

Well one of the problems is that US out grew itself in A-west in about 2-3 years. The terminal is not nearly big enough for what US wants to do in PHL with regards to TA flts. Also for the first year or two of operation US severly under utilized this terminal. They scheduled 10 or so TA flts to arrive between 3-5(which caused numerous problems) and then the Caribbean flts between 6-9. Other than those times the terminal was virtually empty with just a handful of domestic flts using it in the morning and late night. Thankfully US has realized how to spread out the TA flts to use the terminal more efficiently between 1-6, but even now they are maxing out on space.

I am not in the aviation business so i don't clearly know the politics behind it. but WN's entrance in PHL has propelled it in terms of movements and paxs to the point that PHL has jumped up on several US and world rankings. Something that would not have happened strictly with US. It is just a thought.

1. Any well-run facility would always have potential clients lined up. Nothing sinister about that.

2. Are you saying that SWA was not fully aware of potentials and the "airport" had to wake them up? Your comment was kind of a sideways slam on SWA and came, I hope, from an ignorant place.

Know your "enemy". SWA actually has quite competent management, as, say, opposed to LCC and the dinosaurs they inherited with AAA.

I am inclined to venture that our enemies reside in the hearts of our own management, who cannot seem to get out of the way of continuing ineptitude.

And that is the correct answer.

The problem at PHL starts and ends with U management. SWA is there and their operation is substantially more efficient than ours. And they operate with the same problems (ATC, PHL politics, lack of asphalt, local employees etc.......) that we do. They pull it off each and every day. No bag problems. Limited cnx's. Happy customers. I could go on.

Yip all you want about employees, pay rates, attitudes and the like but a competent management would have solved the problems at PHL long ago. Crelin is the name you put on the incompetence here. The same guy DP decided to keep.

Not the employees folks. The management.

pilot

And that is the correct answer.

The problem at PHL starts and ends with U management. SWA is there and their operation is substantially more efficient than ours. And they operate with the same problems (ATC, PHL politics, lack of asphalt, local employees etc.......) that we do. They pull it off each and every day. No bag problems. Limited cnx's. Happy customers. I could go on.

Yip all you want about employees, pay rates, attitudes and the like but a competent management would have solved the problems at PHL long ago. Crellin is the name you put on the incompetence here. The same guy DP decided to keep.

Not the employees folks. The management.

pilot
I think you're on to something here!

Back