2014 Fleet Service Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was warned what the consequences would be if he voted for it.

100s, if not a 1,000 lost their jobs because of that TA passing.

He gloated about the money he got because of it.

Now when the two years is up post merger, he might feel what his coworkers did when they were shown the door.

Reactions: 1 person
Why are people still harping in Freedom for the 08 fleet agreement? Freedom was only one vote and he followed the recommendation of the IAM NC including P. Rez, if the agreement was so bad it never should have been brought back for ratification. Time to move on.

Josh

700UW said:
WeAA,

He voted for and campaigned and gloated about the raise he got in the 2008 Transition Agreement, which he was warned would lead to outsourcing and layoffs of his fellow brothers and sisters.

He is not honest, nor pro-labor.

Go back and read the thread, hey freedom what happened to all the gloom and doom you posted about the economy collapsing and the IAM should have gotten a new CBA way earlier, which would have led to less gains?
I suppose gloating is not one of my more admirable traits ....

But i do so love winning. ...I fought tooth and nail to get that second agreement ..

You are however correct , sometimes my self centeredness can be dangerous. ..

Where as before I was quite poor and desperately wanted more take home , my new over riding concern is job security. ..I have no intention of letting our pool get any smaller ...you could say I'm looking out for myself but where our interests coincide we should work together.

700UW said:
He was warned what the consequences would be if he voted for it.

100s, if not a 1,000 lost their jobs because of that TA passing.

He gloated about the money he got because of it.

Now when the two years is up post merger, he might feel what his coworkers did when they were shown the door.
Why was a TA brought back in the first place that cost thousands of jobs and what would have happened had the membership voted no?

Since it obviously passed he wasn't the only one who voted for it. I just think on here at least since he comments he might be the easiest one to point fingers at?

And being in PHX unfortunately yea he might? We'll see?

Why was PHX allowed to vote for the agreement on the PROPERTY at that AIRPORT, when no other local was allowed the same, never hold the ratification vote on the property.

freedom said:
When it comes to the union management relationship I've always taken after the German model where both parties are responsible and concerned about job performance. ..

I'm cool with that.

I don't want to see people get in trouble but at the same time I think it's important to take away incentives that encourage people to abuse the system...

I'm not cool with this because a few bad apples can ruin the whole tree. Too easy a solution you have here. One that doesn't hold management accountable to do their job.

As for working short, I don't like it ..The honest hard working members show up everyday and end up working twice as hard to make up for the short fall..This causes tempers to flare people to rush and accidents to happen leading to more injuries. ..

Why are they working twice as hard and rushing? That's their problem and THEY need to stop it.

What's happening right now is simply inconsiderate of our fellow brothers and sisters. ..

For the one's who aren't sick who took off for whatever personal reason, yes they are. But they don't care what you think anyway so why let it bother you?

freedom said:
I suppose gloating is not one of my more admirable traits ....

But i do so love winning. ...I fought tooth and nail to get that second agreement ..

You are however correct , sometimes my self centeredness can be dangerous. ..

Where as before I was quite poor and desperately wanted more take home , my new over riding concern is job security. ..I have no intention of letting our pool get any smaller ...you could say I'm looking out for myself but where our interests coincide we should work together.
We all look out for ourselves ultimately Freedom. Whether we want to admit it or not that's the nature called human. But being a sore winner is an even more disgusting trait then being a sore loser.

I'm assuming that you are still pretty young and haven't reached the point yet in discovering that other people hurt and are scared and sometimes what you do or say doesn't add comfort and is also unnecessary unless you have your own extreme lack of self esteem.

Don't be the bigger man, be the better man.

Your right I shouldn't let it bother me but it still kinda hurts, like when your working with a lazy ass and you end up doing all the work ..

Honestly though as for any effect I truly had on the ratification of the 08 contract , you people need to remember that I'm just a simple baggage handler , never graduated college ..I just come in and Chuck bags ...

freedom said:
Your right I shouldn't let it bother me but it still kinda hurts, like when your working with a lazy ass and you end up doing all the work ..

Honestly though as for any effect I truly had on the ratification of the 08 contract , you people need to remember that I'm just a simple baggage handler , never graduated college ..I just come in and Chuck bags ...
Don't steal my line bro. B)

WeAAsles said:
That's fine bro and I can understand where you're coming from but you're also not your brothers keeper. You just come in to work and do the best you can with the tools that the company provides you. If those tools are not available then you don't try and put the square peg in the round hole.

It's managements job to worry about the things you're talking about and if you're co-workers aren't doing the right thing or have no work ethics be proud that you do. But don't cast stones when you can't speak for everyone.

We've all had days we've worked short and we always will. Just do the best you can safely and when the time comes go home safe as well.

Meanwhile others are forced to stay at work and can't enjoy their families for at least part of the day. It affects others when this sort of thing manifests itself.

It also makes much harder to try and get more sick days in negotiations when the airline can easily show the spike in sick days on very prominent days of the year.

We should all consider our fellow co-workers and their families when making these types of decisions. Everyone wants to be home during these days, but it isn't fair that by some doing so, others are negatively affected.

Consider the next guy.

Reactions: 2 people
NYer said:

Meanwhile others are forced to stay at work and can't enjoy their families for at least part of the day. It affects others when this sort of thing manifests itself.

Of course it does and I'm not saying it's right but I am saying who are we to judge who's being honest from who is not?

It also makes much harder to try and get more sick days in negotiations when the airline can easily show the spike in sick days on very prominent days of the year.

Did those spikes in sick calls exist when we were getting paid Double time and a half? That's why companies pay a premium on those specific days. Yes it is a form of bribery but the reality is that people will always pick their families over the companies wants or needs especially when it come to specific days.

We should all consider our fellow co-workers and their families when making these types of decisions. Everyone wants to be home during these days, but it isn't fair that by some doing so, others are negatively affected.

Consider the next guy.

This one you got me on. I wish we lived in that world but more and more at least IMO it seems to be slipping away? Maybe I'm getting old and cynical? I try at least.
I called in (Unsafe/Unauthorized absence) one year back in DFW on Christmas. We had an ice and snow storm that morning and my car wouldn't even come out of the driveway without sliding all over. I didn't call in sick. I was honest and didn't get paid. When I saw the women in lost time she didn't give me a hard time, probably because I didn't call in sick?

The next time that I called in sick though the lost time CSM said "Oh you called in sick on Christmas" It was none of his business in the first place but I told him "Roy I'm not a Christian" and his eyes lit up and he didn't know where to go from there.

I just don't think it's right for me to judge people. Are many of them probably scamming, yes. Can any of us really be sure though?

The APA board of directors voted to accept American’s latest” joint collective bargaining agreement in principle,” according to a hotline message the union sent to its members tonight. Pending the board’s agreement with the company’s final contractual language, it will electronically send a vote on the contract to member pilots, it said. The union had no time frame on when that will happen.

The incomplete contractual language relates to the merging of the airlines’ U.S. and international divisions, the APA board said tonight in an online update to pilots. The resolution also states that the APA board “agrees to be bound by the membership vote.”

“We are pleased our pilots will have a chance to vote on a contract that provides an immediate 23 percent pay increase and recognizes their contributions at American,” American spokesman Casey Norton said tonight.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2015/01/american-airlines-pilots-union-accepts-companys-last-contract-offer-after-marathon-meetings-pilots-stil-to-vote.html/

Wow, pilots signing blank checks...I see no way that won't end badly for them.

From what I've read it looks like management negotiated directly with the membership which cut the union off at the knees as everyone clamored for their raises and dismissed concerns about language.

That should be a gigantic red flag for every Fleet Service member.READ EVERYTHING in any contract proposal, don't get to compensation and stop reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.