2015 Pilot Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
end_of_alpa said:
And I DON'T want the un"I"on to have "exclusive" rights to negotiate with the Company.  I fly as much as I want and I tell the Company I'm here to help THEM.  They treat me very fair, I visit the CP office regularly to ask questions and get help and they do just that.  Just like Robert Isom says, follow the SOP's, the Company policies and procedures, do the right think (but don't stick your neck out and color outside the lines) and you'll be fine.  But even IF I need "insurance" you don't have to by it from the un"i"on when there are PLENTY of Labor Lawyers out there to handle your case and represent you.  Ive been predicting this for YEARS: "employment at will" has arrived!!!  HOORAH!!!

There will likely soon be some type of "Labor Insurance" available to cover the expenses of which you speak.  I wonder if it will be cheaper than union dues?  AOPA sells something similar to its members to assist with legal fees when the FAA comes knocking (I have always purchased that option....$99/year for ATP coverage...since I never fully trusted ALPA, USAPA, or APA to do that job for me correctly.)  Perhaps CAPA will  morph into such an organization offering individuals a cafeteria-style coverage for such matters.

I think the Supreme Court is about to kill labor unions in this country, and the middle class which is already dwindling will go down the crapper post-haste.  Only then will the smug "right-to-work" idiots realize what the unions have done for them over the decades even though they might have never belonged to a union.  No paid vacation; no overtime pay; no sick leave; 60+ hour mandatory work weeks.  Everything for which the unions fought for their members will go by the wayside.

Justice Ginsberg, during the Voting Rights Act decision, made a statement in her scathing dissent which may well apply again in this case.  I think that doing away with labor unions is (as Justice Ginsberg said in that other
circumstance) "like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet,"  

Exactly!

Today's word(s) are:  STALKING HORSE

stalk·ing horse

noun
noun: stalking horse; plural noun: stalking horses

1. a screen traditionally made in the shape of a horse behind which a hunter can stay concealed when stalking prey.

• a false pretext concealing someone's real intentions.

• a political candidate who runs only in order to provoke the election and thus allow a stronger candidate to come forward.

Origin:  early 16th century: from the former practice of using a horse trained to allow a fowler to hide behind it, or under its coverings, until within easy range of prey.
Here's that term used in a sentence:
[SIZE=12pt]“…USAPA has served as the stalking horse for the East Pilots’ exclusive interests and left the West Pilots bereft of representation."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Have a wonderful evening.  We'll see  you for tomorrow's lesson.  BIG SMILES!! :D [/SIZE]

Reactions: 3 people
nycbusdriver said:

There will likely soon be some type of "Labor Insurance" available to cover the expenses of which you speak.  I wonder if it will be cheaper than union dues?  AOPA sells something similar to its members to assist with legal fees when the FAA comes knocking (I have always purchased that option....$99/year for ATP coverage...since I never fully trusted ALPA, USAPA, or APA to do that job for me correctly.)  Perhaps CAPA will  morph into such an organization offering individuals a cafeteria-style coverage for such matters.

I think the Supreme Court is about to kill labor unions in this country, and the middle class which is already dwindling will go down the crapper post-haste.  Only then will the smug "right-to-work" idiots realize what the unions have done for them over the decades even though they might have never belonged to a union.  No paid vacation; no overtime pay; no sick leave; 60+ hour mandatory work weeks.  Everything for which the unions fought for their members will go by the wayside.

Justice Ginsberg, during the Voting Rights Act decision, made a statement in her scathing dissent which may well apply again in this case.  I think that doing away with labor unions is (as Justice Ginsberg said in that other
circumstance) "like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet,"  

Exactly!
I have that as well.  The Supreme Court didn't "kill" labor un"I"ons.  People like pilots did that to themselves.  No SOP's, no standards.....its every pilot for themselves.  In that "narrow" view of Ginsburg I understand.  However, I would say that in our present circumstances with the APA/West I would analogize that "don't piss on my head and tell me its raining".  No umbrella can stop that.

cactusboy53 said:

stalk·ing horse

noun

• a screen traditionally made in the shape of a horse behind which a hunter can stay concealed when stalking prey.

• a political candidate who runs only in order to provoke the election and thus allow a stronger candidate to come forward.

[/*]

Origin:  early 16th century: from the former practice of using a horse trained to allow a fowler to hide behind it, or under its coverings, until within easy range of prey.
“…USAPA has served as the stalking horse for the East Pilots’ exclusive interests and left the West Pilots bereft of representation."
Have a wonderful evening.  We'll see  you for tomorrow's lesson.  BIG SMILES!! :D

Big smiles our little flounder....... No nic

Reactions: 2 people
http://youtu.be/g_JfNjHPwf8

I will follow Simmons word " lesson" with west pilot made videos.
Most involve Eric Auxier, Tony Anger, Brice LeCarre.

Hey Kids!  Just finished dinner and had time for one last new word!

ABROGATE

ab·ro·gate
ˈabrəˌɡāt/
verb
formal

verb: abrogate; 3rd person present: abrogates; past tense: abrogated; past participle: abrogated; gerund or present participle: abrogating
repeal or do away with (a law, right, or formal agreement).
"a proposal to abrogate temporarily the right to strike"

synonyms:

repeal, revoke, rescind, repudiate, overturn, annul; More

disallow, cancel, invalidate, nullify, void, negate, dissolve, countermand, declare null and void, discontinue;
reverse, retract, remove, withdraw, abolish, put an end to, do away with, get rid of, end, stop, quash, scrap;
disaffirm

"the time has come to formally abrogate this outdated agreement"

antonyms:

institute, introduce

Here it is used in a sentence:

[SIZE=12pt]From “A Conversation with an Attorney” - between Bradford &  Chris Katzenbach of Katzenbach and Khitikan, a labor law firm (Chris Katzenbach point):  “Don't give the other side a large body of evidence that the sole reason for the new union is to abrogate an arbitration, the Nicolau award, that in the opinions of most judges, should be allowed to stand due to no gross negligence or fraud.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]This in response to Bradford saying the following:  “I next specifically asked him about the formation of a new bargaining agent as an avenue of advance to get around this award…”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Isn't this fun kids?  We are REALLY learning some very valuable LIFE LESSONS each day.  See you kids tomorrow![/SIZE]  Have a great night!  BIG SMILES!!  :D :D

nycbusdriver said:
I don't mind employees opting not to join a union, or to even refuse to contribute to the cost of negotiating and maintaining a contract.  

I just don't think they should get a free ride and expect the union to defend them or their jobs when an employer decides that "at will" means "goodbye."

It should work a bit like insurance, or better yet, the subscriber method used for some rural fire departments.  If you own a home in the area protected by such a fire department, you can pay an annual subscription and the fire department is responsible for responding  to try to save your house if it catches fire.

You can opt out of it, and if your house catches fire, the fire department will show up to make sure the subscribers' houses stay safe while they watch yours turn to ashes.

I think that's ne way that capitalism works, no?
ALPA has been selling fear insurance as long as I know... And they got pretty good at it. Capitalism is when others are free to sell positive value to compete against fear mongers.

Just imagine if pilots and flight attendants, desiring to be union leaders, proposed a binding non-compete clauses preventing them from making their collusion with management overt..

..some creative folks could offer their house as collateral, even a monster house with a huge mortgage in ORD...

The more "union leaders" have to compete and prove their value, the less value fear mongering would have in the face of creative campaigners. Capitalism would blow the doors open, and corruption would become more creative too.

cactusboy53 said:
Hey Kids!  Just finished dinner and had time for one last new word!

ABROGATE

ab·ro·gate
ˈabrəˌɡāt/
verb
formal

verb: abrogate; 3rd person present: abrogates; past tense: abrogated; past participle: abrogated; gerund or present participle: abrogating
repeal or do away with (a law, right, or formal agreement).
"a proposal to abrogate temporarily the right to strike"

synonyms:

repeal, revoke, rescind, repudiate, overturn, annul; More

disallow, cancel, invalidate, nullify, void, negate, dissolve, countermand, declare null and void, discontinue;
reverse, retract, remove, withdraw, abolish, put an end to, do away with, get rid of, end, stop, quash, scrap;
disaffirm

"the time has come to formally abrogate this outdated agreement"

antonyms:

institute, introduce

Here it is used in a sentence:

From “A Conversation with an Attorney” - between Bradford &  Chris Katzenbach of Katzenbach and Khitikan, a labor law firm (Chris Katzenbach point):  “Don't give the other side a large body of evidence that the sole reason for the new union is to abrogate an arbitration, the Nicolau award, that in the opinions of most judges, should be allowed to stand due to no gross negligence or fraud.”

This in response to Bradford saying the following:  “I next specifically asked him about the formation of a new bargaining agent as an avenue of advance to get around this award…”

Isn't this fun kids?  We are REALLY learning some very valuable LIFE LESSONS each day.  See you kids tomorrow!  Have a great night!  BIG SMILES!!  :D :D

http://youtu.be/6l9sBUUwmUA

Hey cb53, what did you say about the Kirby? That we could have been making the same amount of money as we are now? Have you read J Mac's testimony? I think he blew you out of the water.

Phoenix said:
ALPA has been selling fear insurance as long as I know... And they got pretty good at it. Capitalism is when others are free to sell positive value to compete against fear mongers.

Just imagine if pilots and flight attendants, desiring to be union leaders, proposed a binding non-compete clauses preventing them from making their collusion with management overt..

..some creative folks could offer their house as collateral, even a monster house with a huge mortgage in ORD...

The more "union leaders" have to compete and prove their value, the less value fear mongering would have in the face of creative campaigners. Capitalism would blow the doors open, and corruption would become more creative too.

I think your ideas are a bit naive.  You've certainly bought into the false promise of unfettered capitalism.  Unless you're already in the top 1%, good luck with that.  Unfettered, they will have it all....including yours!

Not sure what you mean by ALPA and "fear insurance."  I suppose one could call any insurance "fear insurance."  Isn't that all about hedging your bets?  Why not give up your "fear" health insurance and  wait until someone in your family gets really sick and sends the whole lot of you into abject poverty?  Maybe by then the capitalism will be unfettered and there will be no government safety net.  Enjoy starving, do you?  Enjoy watching your loved ones starve?  Think it can't happen here?  Think again.

nycbusdriver said:
I think your ideas are a bit naive.  You've certainly bought into the false promise of unfettered capitalism.  Unless you're already in the top 1%, good luck with that.  Unfettered, they will have it all....including yours!

Not sure what you mean by ALPA and "fear insurance."  I suppose one could call any insurance "fear insurance."  Isn't that all about hedging your bets?  Why not give up your "fear" health insurance and  wait until someone in your family gets really sick and sends the whole lot of you into abject poverty?  Maybe by then the capitalism will be unfettered and there will be no government safety net.  Enjoy starving, do you?  Enjoy watching your loved ones starve?  Think it can't happen here?  Think again.
My oh my, listen to yourself.. Every thing is scary as hell and your only solution is a monopolistic Union led by Fur Prater, Mao Wilson, or Guillotine Gladys.

If they do well, their ivory palace pay continues, if not other solutions will spring up.

cactusboy53 said:

stalk·ing horse

noun

• a screen traditionally made in the shape of a horse behind which a hunter can stay concealed when stalking prey.

[/*]

“…USAPA has served as the stalking horse for the East Pilots’ exclusive interests and left the West Pilots bereft of representation."
Have a wonderful evening.  We'll see  you for tomorrow's lesson.  BIG SMILES!! :D

The west committee was to have Jeff Freund put Brian Stockdale on the witness stand. Cannot find his testimony after Wilder addressed the arbs. Can you please hold the vocabulary exercise and enlighten us as to the missing Stockdale testimony?

January 6, 2016  3rd day

Q = Jeff Freund  Attorney for the west
A = Rick Brown, witness for the East

Q. Sitting here today, do you have any basis
for concluding that the process that was employed,
the nature of the hearings, the presentation of
witnesses, the cross-examination of witnesses, the
introduction of exhibits, the briefing was done in
anything other than a procedurally fair manner when
the case was tried before Arbitrator Nicolau?

A. I don't have anything to believe one way
or the other. I do know that I'm here representing a
large number of people who do have that perception,
that there was something.

Q. Procedurally unfair about the process?

A. I can't say.

Q. Okay. Would you agree with the
proposition that, by definition, a fair and
equitable seniority list is a list that is produced
by a fair and equitable process, that is a fair and
equitable arbitration process?

MR. WILDER: Arbitrator Eischen, if I
could, I don't want to interrupt.
I'll just -- if I could have my objection,
which I stated previously, be considered standing as
to this line of questioning.

ARBITRATOR EISCHEN: Noted. And I'll
simply make an observation that I think I have made
before in this proceeding. And that is on matters of legal principle and -- on the larger issues of legal principles and weight to be accorded to various authorities, et
cetera,
the Panel finds it more useful to have these
arguments presented by counsel, either by oral
argument or in a brief, rather than trying to
elicit -- attempts to elicit admissions against interests from individual witnesses.

MR. FREUND: I'm not going any further
beyond that question.

ARBITRATOR EISCHEN: Proceed.

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts