340's and China

They need a four engine airplane for that flight be stupid to do it with the 330-200.

US said they are in talks to buy or lease some A340s.
You don't need 4, everyone else is using a 777, will be doing it with the 330-200 although 4 would be nice over the pole.

Yeah I kind of thought the same thing only because they filed to fly it with the A340. In one of those crewnews sessions someone asked DP about the 332 going to China and he tapped on it a little bit and had this look like a light bulb went on in his head, so who knows. I certainly hope if the 332 ever does see that route that it is very temporary and because the 340's were brought on too late. How embarrassing if they choose to fly the most high profile flight we have ever done and they do it half a$$.
Just taking a row of seats out and restoring a "normal" pitch would probably be enough to ensure they don't have any issues. They could just dedicate a couple aircraft to that routing or even put all 332s in that config until the 358s and 359s arrive.

You don't need 4, everyone else is using a 777, will be doing it with the 330-200 although 4 would be nice over the pole.
Who invented this absurd 332 rumor - a pilot??
No one fies the 332 more than about 5000nm in scheduled service and US will never fly that aircraft to China from PHL. PHL-TLV will be about it. It's ludicrous to compare the 332 with the 777-200ER, there is a 20K+ engine thrust difference, a maximum takeoff weight difference of at least 150K lbs and a 1000nm range difference - all in favor of the 772 . Forget about the Airbus web site number of 6400nm - that is in still (zero velocity) air. In order for a 332 to make PHL-PEK, it would need to be SIGNIFICANTLY weight restricted in both passengers and cargo, since a full fuel load would be required for the range. Doing so would likely make the route economically infeasible - if it would even get polar certification.

What if it stopped in HNL?

Then US will have defaulted on its obligation to schedule and operate nonstop flights, and one of the other airlines would petition to get the seven US frequencies.

And even if the DOT didn't agree with the other airlines, which passengers in their right mind would pay money for a one-stop flight that would be hours longer than any of the competitors? The flight would operate empty.

Your problems are solved. I'm going to lend Doug Parker my new a-380 as soon as I get it out of the shop.

I was having some headers put onto the engines. That should torque it up a bit.

Wonderful. I can imagine the layout.

Here is "economy plus"

1inte0131b.jpg

Who invented this absurd 332 rumor - a pilot??
No one fies the 332 more than about 5000nm in scheduled service and US will never fly that aircraft to China from PHL. PHL-TLV will be about it. It's ludicrous to compare the 332 with the 777-200ER, there is a 20K+ engine thrust difference, a maximum takeoff weight difference of at least 150K lbs and a 1000nm range difference - all in favor of the 772 . Forget about the Airbus web site number of 6400nm - that is in still (zero velocity) air. In order for a 332 to make PHL-PEK, it would need to be SIGNIFICANTLY weight restricted in both passengers and cargo, since a full fuel load would be required for the range. Doing so would likely make the route economically infeasible - if it would even get polar certification.

All those reasons are exactly why the 332 rumor has merit. Look who is running the show.

"Its Airbus at all costs"!

All those reasons are exactly why the 332 rumor has merit. Look who is running the show.

"Its Airbus at all costs"!

Looks like the FCTIs (Flight Crew Training Instructors)who were slated to go to A340 school have had that training canceled.

Parker and Kirby have just had their golden parachutes additionally gilded in case of a change of control in LCC.

We can't realistically operate China without the A340 or something else with long enough range and lift.

Maybe, just maybe, all of this may point to the fact that we are about to purchase, be acquired by (or merge with) a carrier that already HAS these airplanes to do this service.

My bet: NWA.