777 Tulsa bound......

I know at US the PW's we have on the A330s are restricted from certain roads and can only be trucked during certain hours due to it being an oversized load,

I'm finding it a little hard to believe that the only way to get a Trent in/out of TAESL is on the wing or in an AN-225...

Sure, a 10' or 11' wide fan presents more of a problem than the 9' on a CF6 does, but that's still legal for over the road. 14' is the point where a pilot vehicle is required in many states, and up to 20' is legal in Texas.
11' doesn't include the cradle it goes in, the clearance for a gearbox, mount on top, etc., nor the truck height. Much closer to 14'+ after all said and done. The normal highway clearance heights are 13' 6" or higher, and there are a few of those on that route to Tulsa.

I'm finding it a little hard to believe that the only way to get a Trent in/out of TAESL is on the wing or in an AN-225...

Sure, a 10' or 11' wide fan presents more of a problem than the 9' on a CF6 does, but that's still legal for over the road. 14' is the point where a pilot vehicle is required in many states, and up to 20' is legal in Texas.

Well on the CF-6 80c2 we have to pull the oil tank to make them legal. The 777 is a lot wider.

At US we had a 767 crap out in Europe and we had to use a C130 to get the CF6 over there, and it barely fit in the plane.

Also had a 757 crap out in SFO and used a 747 from Kalitta to get the RB211 out there, and the nose cowl stand just barely fit through the door.

Just had a PW4100 crap out in Europe, dont know how they got the engine there.

(Former US Stock Clerk)

Just wondering here, but is it possible that with the VISION 2025 money AA might be in the process of planning a new test cell to accomodate the "Trent"? There is plenty of room just north of the present test cells and the Facilities maintence garage.

11' doesn't include the cradle it goes in, the clearance for a gearbox, mount on top, etc., nor the truck height. Much closer to 14'+ after all said and done. The normal highway clearance heights are 13' 6" or higher, and there are a few of those on that route to Tulsa.

Oklahoma only has two bridges that are 13.6 or below. One on US 70 in Mead and the other is 0.9 miles north of Beggs on Alt. US 75. Both are 13.6 bridges.

My fifth wheel had a clearance of 13'6, and if it's the railroad bridge in Mead you're referring to, I remember thinking that it was a good thing we drove thru Kingston on the way to Lake Texoma and not thru Durant...

I never had anything less than 16' that I can recall driving between AFW and TUL on either US-69 or I-35/I-40, which is what the minimum clearance on an interstate is supposed to be. Some US highways and state freeways (i.e. OK Turnpike outside the interstate network) also adhere to it as a best practice, but they're not obligated to.

Obviously, airlifting for AOG makes sense. Probably less so for overhaul.

Seriously, isn't anyone else doing overhaul on 777's or 330's inside the US and facing the same issue?

My fifth wheel had a clearance of 13'6, and if it's the railroad bridge in Mead you're referring to, I remember thinking that it was a good thing we drove thru Kingston on the way to Lake Texoma and not thru Durant...

I never had anything less than 16' that I can recall driving between AFW and TUL on either US-69 or I-35/I-40, which is what the minimum clearance on an interstate is supposed to be. Some US highways and state freeways (i.e. OK Turnpike outside the interstate network) also adhere to it as a best practice, but they're not obligated to.

Seriously, isn't anyone else doing overhaul on 777's or 330's inside the US and facing the same issue?
Not with the Trent Motors

The info comes from the Motor Carriers Road Atlas for low bridges. Most of us have second jobs and mine is truck driving. I’m sure that a Trent is taller then 13.6. The atlas only covers 13.6 or shorter. Southern Pride will know every bridge height from AFW to TUL and if I was running over sized loads, I would know that also.

It's interesting that OK only has two low bridges.

Latest posts