A reminder of the real world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Internet message boards can be entertaining. But here is a Heiniken ad that asks us to think. It's pretty powerful IMHO

"here is a Heiniken ad that asks us to think."....Umm..."think"? Seriously? Actually, it's just an incredibly pretentious (but well-crafted) advertisement that absurdly suggests having even a single Heineken will magically produce open discussion, universal empathy and perhaps even world peace...in much the same way that imbibing other beers will render anyone forever young and playing beach volleyball with gorgeous models/etc. Anyone who actually does "think" sees that clearly at first glance. Had Heineken thought they'd currently sell more beers to a product-tested consumer audience of Vikings off on a rampage of rapine and slaughter they'd have produced a commercial best suited to such, and would do so immediately should market trends change to favor that. Your heart's in a good place with that post, so I'll spare you more properly cynical observations from long-ago classes on marketing. Trust me on this much though: Think P.T. Barnum whenever advertisement of ANY kind is involved: "There's a sucker born every minute." ;)

Last edited:
"here is a Heiniken ad that asks us to think."....Umm..."think"? Seriously? Actually, it's just an incredibly pretentious (but well-crafted) advertisement that absurdly suggests having even a single Heineken will magically produce open discussion, universal empathy and perhaps even world peace...in much the same way that imbibing other beers will render anyone forever young and playing beach volleyball with gorgeous models/etc. Anyone who actually does "think" sees that clearly at first glance. Had Heineken thought they'd currently sell more beers to a product-tested consumer audience of Vikings off on a rampage of rapine and slaughter they'd have produced a commercial best suited to such, and would do so immediately should market trends change to favor that. Your heart's in a good place with that post, so I'll spare you more properly cynical observations from long-ago classes on marketing. Trust me on this much though: Think P.T. Barnum whenever advertisement of ANY kind is involved: "There's a sucker born every minute." ;)

You know...I'm surprised the ad is as long as it as since the Average American has the attention span of a gnat. But here's what I got out of it - would people on these boards (myself included) be the same way in person? I've talked politics with many people face to face, and I noticed that the number of times "tard" was used in the conversation was exactly zero. Because that's not the way most people are in person. AT least I would hope they aren't.

Same here.

The other thing I like about these ads is that Heineken isn't "overselling" it- they're not positioning themselves as a sort of savior they way Pepsi did with their recent ads.

Critics from the left:

“The Heineken Ad Is Worse Than The Pepsi Ad – You’re Just Too Stupid To Know It,” declares HuffPost contributor DiDi Delgado, who describes herself as a “poet, activist, womyn in search of her own truths.”

https://milo.yiannopoulos.net/2017/04/heineken-ad/

I may have looked at your link, but it is a Milo. yiann... link.

That, as well as Info wars, Huff po, will not get my byte on their bait.

Milo? Seriously Dell?

You know...I'm surprised the ad is as long as it as since the Average American has the attention span of a gnat. ...

A valid observation, but hardly limited to "the average American". The slightest glimpse of human history provides unpleasant but abundant proof that our whole species is on average none-too-bright. How else might anyone explain humankind's arguably most favorite hobby through all of recorded history being war?

The Heineken commercial is nothing more than yet another eager effort at taking more money from the "none-too-bright" masses by people well-trained and crafted in deception/manipulation and utter BS that do such for a living, and laugh while they do so.

Look here folks; even just a single beer of ours can permit you childish fantasies of being magically caring, compassionate and wise...and even believe we are as well, so you should definitely buy our beer! ;) Umm...Right. As always: "A fool and his money are soon parted" and that is actually the "Real World"....Just sayin'...To look for the "Real World" within ANY advertisement EVER is to purely play the part of some local village idiot.

Last edited:
You know...I'm surprised the ad is as long as it as since the Average American has the attention span of a gnat. But here's what I got out of it - would people on these boards (myself included) be the same way in person? I've talked politics with many people face to face, and I noticed that the number of times "tard" was used in the conversation was exactly zero. Because that's not the way most people are in person. AT least I would hope they aren't.

Perfect example your "broad brush" you claimed to have never used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts