AA 737 seatback comfort?

Black Magic

Veteran
Jan 4, 2008
Was on a coast to coast flight the other day on a AA 737 aircraft and couldn't help but notice how uncomfortable the seatbacks are for someone over 5'10" or so. Several passengers complaining that it was the worst seat ever, ect. Any other reports on this?

Was it with the in seat IFE or not? The newer ones with the IFE are the Recaro seats and the older batch the Zodiac. I'm 6 ft and really havent noticed a difference really. I know I don't like the Recaro's as much but that has more to do with the under seat IFE Box.

Was on a coast to coast flight the other day on a AA 737 aircraft and couldn't help but notice how uncomfortable the seatbacks are for someone over 5'10" or so. Several passengers complaining that it was the worst seat ever, ect. Any other reports on this?
I would love to know if they are the same seat I sat on a flight from LAX to PHL last nite, #AA520. The seating looked new, in fact i thought it was newer plane but the flight attendant told me it wasn't. This was an A321 aircraft. I have flown this plane probably 300 times or more and never had a complaint. It was the most uncomfortable airplane seat I have ever sat in. My back is actually hurting me. It also felt as though there was less seat padding as well. I'm wondering if it's one of those seat types that are designed to enable airlines to jam in another row or two.

I would love to know if they are the same seat I sat on a flight from LAX to PHL last nite, #AA520. The seating looked new, in fact i thought it was newer plane but the flight attendant told me it wasn't. This was an A321 aircraft. I have flown this plane probably 300 times or more and never had a complaint. It was the most uncomfortable airplane seat I have ever sat in. My back is actually hurting me. It also felt as though there was less seat padding as well. I'm wondering if it's one of those seat types that are designed to enable airlines to jam in another row or two.
That would be a USAir A321. Thus, it is the same seat with the new pleather seat covers to make it look nicer. No seat back IFE or powerports.

That would be a USAir A321. Thus, it is the same seat with the new pleather seat covers to make it look nicer. No seat back IFE or powerports.
I can't believe that "new seat' covers would make a seat this uncomfortable. Could it have been just my seat that wasn't properly upgraded?