AA at LAX

strangia, thanks for posting. Most interesting. Though I am surprised that it appears that DL will have a lot more gates than AA if what you posted is anything close to the final layout. I'm not that familiar with LAX, and most of my flying into/out of LAX has been T4 which doesn't seem to have all that many gates considering the size of the building. (Maybe I'm just bitter because every time I have a layover there, I can guarantee we will come into gate 46A or 46B, and we will depart from those same gates the next day. Thus guaranteeing me a long walk to/from the van.LOL )

I'm also surprised that WN is accepting that inconvenient arrangement for their newly begun International service. Customs facility in Terminal 1's future?

strangia, thanks for posting. Most interesting. Though I am surprised that it appears that DL will have a lot more gates than AA if what you posted is anything close to the final layout. I'm not that familiar with LAX, and most of my flying into/out of LAX has been T4 which doesn't seem to have all that many gates considering the size of the building. (Maybe I'm just bitter because every time I have a layover there, I can guarantee we will come into gate 46A or 46B, and we will depart from those same gates the next day. Thus guaranteeing me a long walk to/from the van.LOL )

I'm also surprised that WN is accepting that inconvenient arrangement for their newly begun International service. Customs facility in Terminal 1's future?

DL is planning on up to 27 gates between T2 and T3 and and I believe will have access to TBIT gates on a performance-qualifying and FCFS basis. I'm guessing most of those T2 gates will be shared as well so I'm not sure exactly how many gates they will end up having exclusive access to.

AA will have 28 gates all to themselves - 19 between T4 and T5, plus 9 at the Eagle's Nest - and continued preferential use of 4 TBIT gates, for a total of up to 32.

As for T1, I agree WN seems to lose out here, as they are also permanently losing a gate to the Terminal 1.5 project. I also don't foresee a T1 FIS in their future given how CBP is already stretched thin across the airport.

Eagle also loads and unloads at what looks like 3 hard stands next to the Nest. AA has planned and is set up to do the same for mainline at the hangar. Not sure for how many, but they are set up and ready to do it now and will plan to use them for sure next summer on a regular basis.

Just curious, and I don't pretend to know LAX all that well... I assume "the Eagle's Nest" would Express flying, so but how difficult would it be to convert those gates into mainline flights? Re-configure the gates and move jet bridges maybe? Are the gates deep enough to handle a B738 or even an A321?

Just curious, and I don't pretend to know LAX all that well... I assume "the Eagle's Nest" would Express flying, so but how difficult would it be to convert those gates into mainline flights? Re-configure the gates and move jet bridges maybe? Are the gates deep enough to handle a B738 or even an A321?

I'll preface this by saying I'm not intimately familiar with LAX either, and I just threw this together in about 10 minutes:
eagles nest adg iii.PNG

If all that equipment on the east side of the existing taxilane can be squeezed farther east, and AA can part with those two hardstands, then you theoretically could convert part of that to an ADG-III taxilane. I'm not sure if you could achieve a proper slope for jetways as the facility is at ground level though, and there appears to be quite a bit of utility hardware that protrudes from the apron closer to the building. Then there's the issue of the processing capacity of the building, other operational issues that I'm probably not aware of, and isn't there some kind of gate cap at LAX or has that been recently amended?

I'll preface this by saying I'm not intimately familiar with LAX either, and I just threw this together in about 10 minutes:
View attachment 11410

If all that equipment on the east side of the existing taxilane can be squeezed farther east, and AA can part with those two hardstands, then you theoretically could convert part of that to an ADG-III taxilane. I'm not sure if you could achieve a proper slope for jetways as the facility is at ground level though, and there appears to be quite a bit of utility hardware that protrudes from the apron closer to the building. Then there's the issue of the processing capacity of the building, other operational issues that I'm probably not aware of, and isn't there some kind of gate cap at LAX or has that been recently amended?

That was a nice job... I would have taken me a week to put that together. My continued working hypothesis is that LAX will continue to expand its O&D offerings, while Express flying will transfer to PHX, which is why I asked my original question.

I assume if your diagram is accurate (with the Devil in the details), then more mainline flying could be moved into the Eagle's Nest after some major modifications to the ramp and jet bridges. Maybe keeping some of the Express flying from very close locations such as SAN, PSP, BFL, etc. with gates otherwise inaccessable to mainline aircraft instead of routing through PHX to get to LAX?

I'm pretty sure I read that the LAX 'master plan' is for AA to wind up with more gates at T5 (although not quite exclusive), with more gates at TBIT once the Mid Field Concourse Phase II is completed around 2020 - with AA giving up the Eagles Nest completely.

I'm pretty sure I read that the LAX 'master plan' is for AA to wind up with more gates at T5 (although not quite exclusive), with more gates at TBIT once the Mid Field Concourse Phase II is completed around 2020 - with AA giving up the Eagles Nest completely.

Yes I believe the ultimate goal is to consolidate the Eagles Nest gates at T5. Was AA trying to negotiate more gates for giving up the high bay for MSC South?

What ever happen to the gates USAir got in LAX after they merger with PSA. I know USAir dismantle PSA not sure how many gates they had.

What ever happen to the gates USAir got in LAX after they merger with PSA. I know USAir dismantle PSA not sure how many gates they had.
Those were in Terminal One which was shared with Southwest. Bit by bit they gave gates to Southwest that weren't needed. Southwest has the whole terminal now.

Latest posts

Back