AA employees get 4% raises

I won't go back and check 30 pages and see if it has been discussed but can a raise outside of a contract be taken back when times are a little leaner?

2ndGENAMT said:
I won't go back and check 30 pages and see if it has been discussed but can a raise outside of a contract be taken back when times are a little leaner?
That's an easy one.
Of course when the financials take a turn for the worse, the company will be crying poor mouth and Armageddon unless we give back RIGHT NOW , regardless of whatever contract we have. So yes.

And , it's that reason I said right from the outset, there's NOTHING keeping the company from giving us whatever bump in pay they want to, it was 4% for everybody else, nothing for us, fine, whatever, there are plenty of things we can do, legally, to show our appreciation.

2ndGENAMT said:
If you mean taken unilaterally, it depends.  For instance, the APFA officers and Board of Directors met and officially voted to accept the raise and include it in the JCBA pay chart;  so, it is now part of our contract and can not be taken away without negotiation between the company and the union.  Or, by drastic moves, such as going into bankruptcy in order to nullify the contract.  For non-represented employees, yes technically the company could take the raise back at anytime for any reason; however, they would have to then deal with some mighty po'd employees who have skills that can be transferred out of the airline business.

2ndGENAMT said:
No company would EVER do that, would they? Dyer, WeAAsles, what say you?

jimntx said:
If you mean taken unilaterally, it depends.  For instance, the APFA officers and Board of Directors met and officially voted to accept the raise and include it in the JCBA pay chart;  so, it is now part of our contract and can not be taken away without negotiation between the company and the union.  Or, by drastic moves, such as going into bankruptcy in order to nullify the contract.  For non-represented employees, yes technically the company could take the raise back at anytime for any reason; however, they would have to then deal with some mighty po'd employees who have skills that can be transferred out of the airline business.
Was questioning organized work groups mainly but thanks for the info and glad to hear that your reps made sure it was contractual. I'm sure the TWU Board Of Directors will be as astute as the APFAs...TWU Board of Directors LOL!

Happy New Year!!

CMH_GSE said:
That's an easy one.
Of course when the financials take a turn for the worse, the company will be crying poor mouth and Armageddon unless we give back RIGHT NOW , regardless of whatever contract we have. So yes.

And , it's that reason I said right from the outset, there's NOTHING keeping the company from giving us whatever bump in pay they want to, it was 4% for everybody else, nothing for us, fine, whatever, there are plenty of things we can do, legally, to show our appreciation.

^This^

I'm always surprised at how many people never think that base rates in a CBA are actually the minimums, and not a max...

MetalMover said:
If it's agreed to between the company and the Union to be incorporated into the CBA, no I don't believe they can just arbitrarily take it back? Non Union or employees not under contract on the other hand the company can decide to do whatever they want. If they do though it's obviously up to that employee if he or she accepts the terms and wants to stay on under those terms. 

Take profit sharing for instance. If a formula is not incorporated into your CBA it doesn't necessarily mean that the company can't decide somewhere down the road to dole it out? They can but they're under no obligation to do so.

iluvaa said:
If they went after check off you would definitely hear them scream LOUD
That was one of Mark Richards Boo factors during BK, that if we dont meet their number that the Judge will abrogate, that we will have no contract, no just cause, no seniority and NO CHECKOFF!!! He claimed the company could then do anything they wanted and we could not strike. 

CMH_GSE said:
That's an easy one.

Not so easy for Bigjets, he is waiting for "the union", to do something about it, just as long as it doesn't involve any action whatsoever on his part. 

I think that is what bothers me the most is the no action on our part.  Our leadership should have been rallying the troops for some kind of demonstration if anything to put a spot light on the NMB.

Kev3188 said:
^This^

I'm always surprised at how many people never think that base rates in a CBA are actually the minimums, and not a max...
With the TWU all it takes is four little words to put everything in our contract on a sliding scale!

"On The Courthouse Steps"

MetalMover said:

The APFA and APA have language on that, so they keep it. You'd think the negotiators would include the 4% pay hikes in the JCBA so any deletion of that raise would need to made via collective bargaining.

NYer said:

The APFA and APA have language on that, so they keep it. You'd think the negotiators would include the 4% pay hikes in the JCBA so any deletion of that raise would need to made via collective bargaining.
The APFA and APA have always had stronger language in their CBA's than the TWU. 

MetalMover said:
The APFA and APA have always had stronger language in their CBA's than the TWU. 
That's because they have a pacific class and craft union representing them and only them (not other groups mashed in with them)

Latest posts

Back