AA extends 737MAX-related cancellations to Sept.3rd

When you were in bankruptcy and going through all the cuts which AA executive did you want to retain??

Pretty certain the unions were in favor of "off with their heads" for anyone that at AA during the bankruptcy.

Changing CEO's won't fix AA quickly. You'll simply hate on the next guy and ignore the fact that the airline is simply too damn big for its own good, and never went on the post-baby diet it should have after the merger with USAirmericaWest. Now it needs bariatric surgery and liposuction.

It's only going to get worse, folks. Labor negotiations are starting up in less than 90 days for the two groups that can really damage the airline: flight attendants and pilots (sorry mechanics, but with all the third parties available now to cross a line, you guys simply can't do quite as much as could back in the 1990's).

In other words... close down a hub or maybe even consider selling off assets.

Pretty certain the unions were in favor of "off with their heads" for anyone that was at AA during the bankruptcy.

...edited...

Oh, let me answer! Let me! I vote for close PHL or burn it down, either one. I have changed planes there as a passenger once, and I have sworn to myself "NEVER AGAIN." I'll buy a ticket on Spirit if it's the only way to avoid PHL.

Last edited:
Pretty certain the unions were in favor of "off with their heads" for anyone that at AA during the bankruptcy.

Changing CEO's won't fix AA quickly. You'll simply hate on the next guy and ignore the fact that the airline is simply too damn big for its own good, and never went on the post-baby diet it should have after the merger with USAirmericaWest. Now it needs bariatric surgery and liposuction.

It's only going to get worse, folks. Labor negotiations are starting up in less than 90 days for the two groups that can really damage the airline: flight attendants and pilots (sorry mechanics, but with all the third parties available now to cross a line, you guys simply can't do quite as much as could back in the 1990's).

Definitely have to lighten it up, not sure if they want to.lose market share while others are growing or close a profitable hub.Like i told these guys be careful who you wish for

Similar info.... https://www.investors.com/news/boei...rders-deliveries-september-2019-boeing-stock/

Also, coworker here in SDC; got some info from 30 yr mgt types up in Everett, said, next year Feb/Mar. God, who the hell knows!....

I know they had a lot of domestic planes lined up in stalls here in Seattle. Sure looked like things were looking up for our U.S. carriers....‍♂️

Oh, let me answer! Let me! I vote for close PHL or burn it down, either one. I have changed planes there as a passenger once, and I have sworn to myself "NEVER AGAIN." I'll buy a ticket on Spirit if it's the only way to avoid PHL.

I agree Jim, PHL....S U C K S, but none the less, it handles a ton of O + D traffic, for PA,NJ,DE,northern MD. EWR, LGA and JFK are not an option, so PHL's location does make sense for the NE USA.
( a bit off topic here), but as much as I detest WN, we've got to hand it to them, that BWI was a stroke of genius !

Reactions: swamt
BWI was originally a hub for Piedmont. USAir slowly killed it off after the 1987 merger, and WN moved in...

Same story as MDW, RDU and BNA: legacy airline builds up a hub, airport builds new concourses, legacy airline moves out, Southwest moves in.

Reactions: swamt
Last edited:
Wishful thinking on AA's part.
Article uses words like......

Impending
Anticipates
Expecting

That sounds like AA is doing some risky PR. I do recall reading an article a few months back quoting Parket that the grounding was political.
very similar to industry leading contracts....

https://www.wfaa.com/article/travel...nces/287-695c680d-4404-48d3-87fc-55b7cdd39424

another promise? weird that an airline says it but no regulatory agency says it. anther case of jumping into or wishful thinking?
I saw that this morning as well. Was wondering why AA was publicly calling out a date when the FAA has not and nor has Boeing. The article I read is below, which also states that AA is calling for sometime in the first two weeks of Dec. for the Max's to be released and that AA will start flying them by Jan 16th 2020, which is 30 days later approx. Sounds a little ballsy to me. But we will see. I would just hate to see AA schedule all those flights and then have to cancel them all if the Max's don't get released at that time frame.

UPDATE 1-American Airlines cancels 737 MAX flights until Jan. 16

I read this as AA politely signaling to the FAA that it's time to s#!t or get off the pot.

Boeing can't say anything. FAA's being super-over-cautious about saying the fix is good to go because they got spanked for not paying closer attention.

That leaves the airlines. Their pilots have been working with Boeing and FAA, and it seems the operators are all losing patience with how fast this isn't going.

I read this as AA politely signaling to the FAA that it's time to s#!t or get off the pot.

Boeing can't say anything. FAA's being super-over-cautious about saying the fix is good to go because they got spanked for not paying closer attention.

That leaves the airlines. Their pilots have been working with Boeing and FAA, and it seems the operators are all losing patience with how fast this isn't going.
And that's only in the USA. What's going to happen with MAX in other parts of the world? Europe especially was more cautious than the USA.

If the authorities here in the US are convinced and allow US operators to resume service, I could care less what those countries who follow EASA do.

If the authorities here in the US are convinced and allow US operators to resume service, I could care less what those countries who follow EASA do.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fricti...d-delay-737-max-return-to-service-11570527001

Bloomberg reported this week that European regulators are not satisfied with the changes that Boeing hopes will get it the all clear signal from the FAA, which could possibly mean that the plane will return to service without their support. European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) officials told senior U.S. counterparts that one element of the fixes, having two flight control computers operate simultaneously, goes against decades of prior design and has not been adequately tested, the news agency wrote.

An EASA spokesperson, however, denied that the agency had any “specific concerns” that would lead it to contradict any U.S. conclusions about the 737 Max’s future safety. The Southwest pilots’ union, however, recently filed a lawsuit arguing that Boeing deliberately put profits before safety and “made a calculated decision to rush a re-engined aircraft to market to secure its single-aisle market share and prioritize its bottom line.”

Latest posts