AA may buy longest-range Airbus to replace aging 757-200s

Our 757's still out perform the A321. There are cities that the A319 and A321 can not fly in and out compared to the 757 with the RR's.
One wonders why Boeing killed the 757. Airbus kept the A320 family going which out played Boeing. The 737 reached it's useful life.

It is my understanding that Boeing never sold enough 757s to break even on the airplane. Like you I'm surprised. It's a great airplane even today.

The B757 was clearly an aircraft 25 years before its time, in terms of fulfilling market needs. There is no doubt hat if 6 years ago Boeing had announced a clean sheet B757 redo, with all modern tech available for delivery now, it would be a home run!

Now, it will be interesting to get feedback from the crews as to whether or not the AB comes even close to the performance of the 757s, and whether service (particularly First Class) is easier or even as easy as the 757s (my own experience with the 321s would say, NO WAY, JOSE.)

BTW, is the MAX 10 on the market yet? I thought it was to be available sometime next year. The max seating configuration of the 10 offers 230 seats (give or take a few). There is also supposed to be a MAX 200 that will offer 200+ passenger seats. (sounds like a plane tailor-made for Southwest).

Last edited:
Here is how AA is going to use the new long range Narrow Body Airbus.

https://airlinegeeks.com/2019/06/19/american-airlines-orders-50-airbus-a321xlr/

Stuff the passengers in a narrow body from US mainland to Europe.
That's the new trend these days.
While the European and Asian carriers continue with mostly wide body service.
Since JetBlue announced they will flying them to Europe starting next year, AA's conventional wisdom might be to replace all 777 flying from NY to Europe with them. You know, to follow instead of lead.

Seeking Alpha confirms AA purchase of 50 AB321XLRs. AA is first U.S. airline to order the long-range aircraft. 30 are actually conversion of order for smaller AB321neos to AB321XLRs.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/34725...irline-order-new-airbus-plane?dr=1#email_link
Boeing is to blame for the interest in the Airbus A321-XLR.. They can't make a decision on the dubbed 797 aircraft. They should've designed a replacement for the 757 instead of going with the 737 Max. Just my opinion. Seems SWA drove that decision.
Maybe it's just me, but ever since Boeing moved its headquarters to Chicago, the management culture has changed?

Boeing is to blame for the interest in the Airbus A321-XLR.. They can't make a decision on the dubbed 797 aircraft. They should've designed a replacement for the 757 instead of going with the 737 Max. Just my opinion. Seems SWA drove that decision.
Maybe it's just me, but ever since Boeing moved its headquarters to Chicago, the management culture has changed?
Funny how I talk to many different people at work and they all conclude that Boeing screwed up big time killing the 757 instead of going head to head with Airbus on the A320 family aircraft. I believe the 737 is what it is. You can't make a 737 into a A321 killer. It's just not there. I prefer Boeing over Airbus but Boeing is going to take a big hit on the narrow body market. The more they focus on the 737 expansion the faster Airbus will pull away with that market. Shame on Boeing. They needed to focus on the global needs instead of a few 737 dedicated carriers like SWA and China Airlines.

Man can you imagine being stuffed in there all the way to Europe? Ugh even non reving no thanks.