AA Pilot Arrested

Good question. The only real crime this guy committed was being drunk in uniform, and that's not a crime. It is, however, something that you get fired for at AA. My guess is that he was withheld from service without pay pending investigation, and that his termination will be a technicality unless APA decides to plead his case.

I'm not sure if he is still flying. I don’t remember the code used to search for pilots. I'll have to wait till I get back to work to find out.

Aside from the liability issue if he were on a plane that turned into a lawn dart (his fault or not) can you imagine the out cry from the public that a pilot with a 'drinking problem' (acquitted or not)? That guy needs to be given a desk job as far away from an airplane as humanly possible. At the very least he has judgment issues, at the worst he is a drunk waiting for a FUI (Flying while intoxicated).

Everyone here pretty much knows I’m a hard a$$ but I try and cal them like I see them. Drunks are so far down the ladder for me that I cannot find an ounce of sympathy for him. My opinion has always been that if you are caught behind the wheel of a car 1 time when you are drunk you loose your license, you loose your car and you better learn how to thumb down a cap or a start hitch hiking. I fail to see a reason to let them out on the road to get it right the second time.

Good question. The only real crime this guy committed was being drunk in uniform, and that's not a crime. It is, however, something that you get fired for at AA. My guess is that he was withheld from service without pay pending investigation, and that his termination will be a technicality unless APA decides to plead his case.

There is a lot more to this case than has been reported or will be reported. In the past, my knee jerk reaction to some of these reports has been the same as some of the sentiments expressed in this forum. However, in this day and age of speed of light headlines, accuracy be damned; I think it is more important than ever to consider facts before jumping to conclusion. Given the verdict, my guess is the jury heard all of the evidence, beyond what has been sensationalized in the press.

I was on the trip when he came home last year. He said AA was sending him to rehab and that he was really worried about going to jail. Apparantly that has been taken care of. So I can only assume that he went to and completed rehab by now. If so, I think that is your last chance to screw up like that at AA. So if he got clean and stayed clean at work, I would assume he is still working here.

I'm glad to see AA sent him to rehab, but that doesn't mean he kept his job. There are fairly strict limits as to when EAP can be invoked to save your job. Almost universally, it's before there's an incident.

Example... Ask for help with a substance abuse problem before you're selected for random testing or before there's an incident, and you'll get that help, and you'll keep your job.

But if you get selected for a random drug/alcohol test, and ask right then and there for help with a substance abuse problem, you'll still get that help, but if you fail the test, your job is most likely gone as soon as you're released from rehab.

Likewise if you're tested for cause, as was the case here, and as is usually the case for anyone involved in a damage incident or who is otherwise suspected of being under the influence on-duty.

Like I said, I assume he is still here. I haven't seen him since and I have no idea. He really didn't seem worried about a job though at the time. From what one of the chief pilots told us though, he "did the right thing". Whatever that means. I didn't get the impression that he was gone when he said it. Although, things change. From what has happened to F/A's getting caught drinking at work, I would think he gets one chance after completing rehab. Like I said, I am not an APFA/APA rep and don't know for sure what happens in these situations.

You can do that outside of your own work group? If so, interesting. I am interseted in knowing how. Does that go for international employees as well?

There is a format in decs (not sure if it is duty code restricted) B*CSTMASK. You need to know the group code (IE FA's are QFL) not sure what pilots are. When I get back to work I will look.

If memory serves me, you can only do the CSTMASK from cities that you have access to AAA into. DECS and RES don't know what a workgroup is - they only know what company you work for, and what citycode your sine-in is based in.

Like I said, I assume he is still here. I haven't seen him since and I have no idea. He really didn't seem worried about a job though at the time. From what one of the chief pilots told us though, he "did the right thing". Whatever that means. I didn't get the impression that he was gone when he said it. Although, things change. From what has happened to F/A's getting caught drinking at work, I would think he gets one chance after completing rehab. Like I said, I am not an APFA/APA rep and don't know for sure what happens in these situations.

Here's some evidence that he's still employed, although like the quote says, that may be subject to change:

Mr Yates, of Columbus, Ohio, may yet face internal disciplinary action by the airline.

A spokesman for American Airlines, based in Chicago, said Mr Yates remained on leave while discussions about his employment continued.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...36-2703,00.html

Here's some evidence that he's still employed, although like the quote says, that may be subject to change:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...36-2703,00.html

I think he will be treated fairly and keep his job at AA. AA has a program to help people with problems and he seems to be receptive to assistance. I hope he gets through all of this ok, he got through the first step which was probably the hardest so hopefully he will continue on and be back flying soon.

Latest posts

Back